NW Washington/Seattle Ride Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paladin, May 20, 2003.

  1. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for spectacular,
    epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.

    I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for him.
    I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.

    He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    rides for an out-of-towner?

    Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to

    [email protected]

    Paladin

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    >
    > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for
    > him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.
    >
    > He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    > rides for an out-of-towner?
    >
    > Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > Paladin

    if he is driving, (84 to portland then up)the Lewis River trail may be within reach (?) to find it,
    it's near the town of Cougar, north of Portland S ot Mt St Helens. While not Epic or Technical, it's
    certainly very scenic, and a 20 mile RT up and back...

    Penny

  3. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    >
    > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for
    > him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.
    >
    > He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    > rides for an out-of-towner?
    >
    > Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > Paladin

    Check out Tigger Mountain. It is decent.

    http://www.mtbr.com/trails/Washington/TigerMountain.html

    TJ

  4. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    > >
    > > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for
    > > him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.
    > >
    > > He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    > > rides for an out-of-towner?
    > >
    > > Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > if he is driving, (84 to portland then up)the Lewis River trail may be within reach (?) to find
    > it, it's near the town of Cougar, north of Portland S ot Mt St Helens. While not Epic or
    > Technical, it's certainly very scenic, and a 20 mile RT up and back...
    >
    > Penny

    That is one of my favorites while I am visiting mother in Vancouver.

    TJ

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    > >
    > > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for
    > > him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.
    > >
    > > He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    > > rides for an out-of-towner?
    > >
    > > Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > if he is driving, (84 to portland then up)the Lewis River trail may be within reach (?) to find
    > it, it's near the town of Cougar, north of Portland S ot Mt St Helens. While not Epic or
    > Technical, it's certainly very scenic, and a 20 mile RT up and back...
    >
    > Penny

    Thanks Penny & TJ. He's actually cutting up through Yakima, Ellensburg and over I-90 via Snoqualmie
    Pass, into Snohomish, Sultan, all that beeyootiful country. But he has to go pick up some guys at
    Sea-Tac airport, and so could catch some riding down that way, too.

    When I go to Seattle, its I-84 to the Portland cutoff and straight up I-5. I like the Columbia
    Gorge, (and I get to pass my parents' house that way, too).

    Paladin

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    >
    > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for
    > him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.
    >
    > He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    > rides for an out-of-towner?
    >
    > Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > Paladin

    Skookum Flat is fun, haven't been this year but there won't be any problem with snow, unlike some ot
    the highter trails It runs along the White River, parallel to hwy 410 a few miles outside of
    Greenwater. If you can find the time to drive to the Lewis River, I would do that. Very nice views.

  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    > >
    > > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path for
    > > him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.
    > >
    > > He's looking for a combination of scenic/woods in the advanced/expert range. Any "must-do" epic
    > > rides for an out-of-towner?
    > >
    > > Thanks. Since Google is on a 4hr+ delay, please post here, *and* email to
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > if he is driving, (84 to portland then up)the Lewis River trail may be within reach (?) to find
    > it, it's near the town of Cougar, north of Portland S ot Mt St Helens. While not Epic or
    > Technical, it's certainly very scenic, and a 20 mile RT up and back...
    >
    > Penny

    I rode the Lewis River Trail yesterday, third time this spring. It is 53 miles east of Woodland,
    Washington on I5. Total drive from seattle
    = 3.5 hours.
    It is best to ride east to west and back, but I rode the opposite direction. Several sections are
    hike a bike now, some mud slides at 6.5 miles. Very spectacular place with old growth and st helens.

    Route 25 wasn't open so the drive from Randle is out. Ape Canyon probably still has snow, but the
    plains would be good.

    Tiger mtn has lots of trail washed and being rebuilt. Rode that a month ago, up the NWT trail to
    Preston RR to top - turned around and rode back = 17 miles or so. Some gravel road = 4 miles.

    Mt Galbraith at Bellingham = epic singletrack with many many stunts. I don't do stunts...too old
    and fragile.

    Ebey-Kettles on Whidbey near Oak Harbor pretty sweet but much of it is easy. There are some steeps,
    great great views and not many people midweek. Weekends...forget it.

    Capitol Forest south of Olympia is still pretty muddy, but lots of trails too numerous to list.
    Mima-porter #8 to Greenline #6 and back is fun.

    Tolt-McDonald is a trail system at Carnation and within easy striking distance. Pretty easy to get
    lost but surrounded by jeep road to bail if lost.

    Walker-Valley ORV is pretty good. Haven't ridden it in 5 years. Lots of motorcycles on weekends.
    Free for non powered vehicles. It is just east of Mt Vernon on the east side of Big Lake.

    In town training, short and lots of loops, some stunts = St Edwards Park up Juanita drive south of
    Kenmore. More of a beginner workout, training area with some stunts.

    Green mtn by Paulsbo. Haven't done it. Friends like it. Same with Gibbs lake over on that side.

    That is about all I know near seattle area.

    If you get to Hood River or White Salmon, Wa there are tons of spots: post canyon, syncline,
    surveyors ridge, dog river, etc etc etc.....

    Email me direct if you need an aging guide. I also do wonderful videos with the helmet cam stuff.

    Bob

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > > > My pal Adam is driving to Seattle tomorrow for a few days and wants recommendations for
    > > > spectacular, epic riding, probably in the Snoqualmie Pass to Sea-Tac corridor areas.
    > > >
    > > > I already recommended Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens areas, but they are a bit off the path
    > > > for him. I've heard of some great riding in the Snoqualmie Pass area.

    <snip a whole book, that's appreciated>

    > Email me direct if you need an aging guide. I also do wonderful videos with the helmet cam stuff.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks a million. I'm passing it on to Adam. I knew a Bob Goiner from when I lived in Washington.
    Maybe you're him? It probably would have been from Spokane, Coulee Dam, Moses Lake or Pullman. I
    also lived in Seattle and Yakima but don't think those would be it.

    Thanks again, and glad to know you web-footed types are able to ride.

    Paladin

  9. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Paladin thoughtfully penned:

    > <snip a whole book, that's appreciated>
    > >
    > > Email me direct if you need an aging guide. I also do wonderful videos
    with
    > > the helmet cam stuff.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > Thanks a million. I'm passing it on to Adam. I knew a Bob Goiner from when I lived in Washington.
    > Maybe you're him? It probably would have been from Spokane, Coulee Dam, Moses Lake or Pullman. I
    > also lived in Seattle and Yakima but don't think those would be it.
    >
    > Thanks again, and glad to know you web-footed types are able to ride.
    >
    > Paladin

    Web footed types. That's funny. I grew up in eastern WA. ( Ellensburg) That's what we called the "
    Coasters" too. Sounds like you spent a lot of time in the same places I have..

    TJ

  10. "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Web footed types. That's funny. I grew up in eastern WA. ( Ellensburg) That's what we called the "
    > Coasters" too. Sounds like you spent a lot of time in the same places I have..
    >
    > TJ

    Huh? I went to graduate school in Eastern WA, Pullman. I would have to respectfully disagree that
    Ellensburg is eastern WA, at least in comparison. But is is a pretty cool area on the dry side.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  11. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Web footed types. That's funny. I grew up in eastern WA. ( Ellensburg) That's what we called the
    > > " Coasters" too. Sounds like you spent a lot
    of
    > > time in the same places I have..
    > >
    > > TJ
    > >

    > Huh? I went to graduate school in Eastern WA, Pullman. I would have to respectfully disagree that
    > Ellensburg is eastern WA, at least in
    comparison.
    > But is is a pretty cool area on the dry side.
    >
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Ellensburg is the center of the state. The wind always blows like in WY. And Pullman is most
    definately Eastern Washington. The locals mostly consider anything East of the Cascades Eastern WA
    because of the climate change. The good ole rain shadow effect.

    TJ

  12. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Web footed types. That's funny. I grew up in eastern WA. ( Ellensburg) That's what we called the
    > > " Coasters" too. Sounds like you spent a lot of time in the same places I have..
    > >
    > > TJ
    > >

    > Huh? I went to graduate school in Eastern WA, Pullman. I would have to respectfully disagree that
    > Ellensburg is eastern WA, at least in comparison. But is is a pretty cool area on the dry side.

    A fellow Cougar?! I knew there was something about you I liked.

    Paladin '83

  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Web footed types. That's funny. I grew up in eastern WA. (
    Ellensburg)
    > > > That's what we called the " Coasters" too. Sounds like you spent a
    lot of
    > > > time in the same places I have..
    > > >
    > > > TJ
    > > >

    > > Huh? I went to graduate school in Eastern WA, Pullman. I would have to respectfully disagree
    > > that Ellensburg is eastern WA, at least in
    comparison.
    > > But is is a pretty cool area on the dry side.
    >
    > A fellow Cougar?! I knew there was something about you I liked.
    >
    > Paladin '83

    Go east siders!! I am an eastsider at heart now. The left coast lowland riff raff over here is
    enough to make you cry in shame.

    I guess that is why I moved to the south and east....White Salmon, Wa.

    Galbraith today was good til I hit the major clear cut machinery ripping and gnashing those poor
    trees and trails to smitherines. A sad thing to observe...

    -Bob UW '74.........but love the cougs too!

  14. "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Web footed types. That's funny. I grew up in eastern WA. (
    Ellensburg)
    > > > That's what we called the " Coasters" too. Sounds like you spent a
    lot of
    > > > time in the same places I have..
    > > >
    > > > TJ
    > > >

    > > Huh? I went to graduate school in Eastern WA, Pullman. I would have to respectfully disagree
    > > that Ellensburg is eastern WA, at least in
    comparison.
    > > But is is a pretty cool area on the dry side.
    >
    > A fellow Cougar?! I knew there was something about you I liked.
    >
    > Paladin '83

    Go Cougs!
    --
    Craig Brossman, MS, School of Engineering, Computer Science, '89 (remove .nospam. if replying)

  15. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > Ellensburg)
    > lot of

    > > > Huh? I went to graduate school in Eastern WA, Pullman. I would have to respectfully disagree
    > > > that Ellensburg is eastern WA, at least in
    > comparison.
    > > > But is is a pretty cool area on the dry side.
    > >
    > > A fellow Cougar?! I knew there was something about you I liked.
    > >
    > > Paladin '83
    >
    > Go east siders!! I am an eastsider at heart now. The left coast lowland riff raff over here is
    > enough to make you cry in shame.
    >
    > I guess that is why I moved to the south and east....White Salmon, Wa.
    >
    > Galbraith today was good til I hit the major clear cut machinery ripping and gnashing those poor
    > trees and trails to smitherines. A sad thing to observe...
    >
    > -Bob UW '74.........but love the cougs too!

    White Salmon? Gotta look that up. By SE, do you mean around Walla Walla-type, or something else. I
    miss Washington from time to time. Its grand scenery is so easily accessible. I like the
    ruggedness of Idaho better, but you have to work at it a little harder to get to the spectacular
    spots. You can't just drive up to Paradise Lodge, order a beer and sit on the deck in the shadow
    of Mt. Rainier.

    My inlaws have a lot of property east of Yakima west of Sunnyside with some great mc trails *I
    haven't even ridden yet.*

    Paladin

  16. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > White Salmon? Gotta look that up. By SE, do you mean around Walla Walla-type, or something else. I
    > miss Washington from time to time. Its grand scenery is so easily accessible. I like the
    > ruggedness of Idaho better, but you have to work at it a little harder to get to the spectacular
    > spots. You can't just drive up to Paradise Lodge, order a beer and sit on the deck in the shadow
    > of Mt. Rainier.
    >
    > My inlaws have a lot of property east of Yakima west of Sunnyside with some great mc trails *I
    > haven't even ridden yet.*
    >
    > Paladin

    White Salmon is just on the east side of the cascade crest situated on the cliffs across from Hood
    River, Oregon. Think of Mt Hood and Mt Adams, draw a line between the two and halfway between on the
    Wa side is White Salmon, next to the White Salmon river, where large white salmon return to
    spawn.....

    Bob

  17. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > White Salmon? Gotta look that up. By SE, do you mean around Walla Walla-type, or something else.
    > > I miss Washington from time to time. Its grand scenery is so easily accessible. I like the
    > > ruggedness of Idaho better, but you have to work at it a little harder to get to the spectacular
    > > spots. You can't just drive up to Paradise Lodge, order a beer and sit on the deck in the shadow
    > > of Mt. Rainier.
    > >
    > > My inlaws have a lot of property east of Yakima west of Sunnyside with some great mc trails *I
    > > haven't even ridden yet.*
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > White Salmon is just on the east side of the cascade crest situated on the cliffs across from Hood
    > River, Oregon. Think of Mt Hood and Mt Adams, draw a line between the two and halfway between on
    > the Wa side is White Salmon, next to the White Salmon river, where large white salmon return to
    > spawn.....
    >
    > Bob

    OK, I know exactly where you are. Beautiful country. We stayed in Hood River last December as part
    of our Christmas trip. Probably saw you across the Columbia and didn't even know it. We were amazed
    at how nice the HR Best Western was.

  18. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Just got an email from Adam, all he said was

    Preston Grade, Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ha.

    Any of you Washingtonians know what he's talking about? Is it somewhere around Snoqualmie Pass?

    Gracias.

    Paladin

  19. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got an email from Adam, all he said was
    >
    > Preston Grade, Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ha.
    >
    > Any of you Washingtonians know what he's talking about? Is it somewhere around Snoqualmie Pass?
    >
    > Gracias.
    >
    > Paladin

    Check this out. I think this is what you are looking for. Sounds like a hoot!

    Ken Juneau, Alaska

  20. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got an email from Adam, all he said was
    >
    > Preston Grade, Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ha.
    >
    > Any of you Washingtonians know what he's talking about? Is it somewhere around Snoqualmie Pass?
    >
    > Gracias.
    >
    > Paladin

    It is the tiger mtn route. Ride up the gravel road about three miles+ and on the right side is the
    start of Preston RR.. It comes out at a small stop sign on gravel road. Go left and around the bend.
    Follow about 2 miles to NW Timber trail on the right near a gravel pile (may be hard to see if you
    aren't looking for the gate. Another 2 miles to the trail head.

    On non busy times, you can ride up the down route and it is 17 miles. This is pretty fun. There is
    Iverson off to the left hand road....

    Bob