Nwbie Question - Transporting My Bike

Banks

Jul 3, 2011
Greetings!

This is my first post -- Hello everybody!

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Synapse Alloy 6 Tiagra. I love it, This morning I was going thru the manual and it said to not use a rack that holds the bike by the frame. I have a Thule carrier that mounts to my spare tire and (of course) holds the bike by the frame. Is this just Cannondale being extra cautious? I hope so, because if not, then I have no way of transporting my bike!

Originally Posted by Banks .

Greetings!

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Synapse Alloy 6 Tiagra. I love it, This morning I was going thru the manual and it said to not use a rack that holds the bike by the frame. I have a Thule carrier that mounts to my spare tire and (of course) holds the bike by the frame. Is this just Cannondale being extra cautious? I hope so, because if not, then I have no way of transporting my bike!
Your carrier will not hurt your bike - except perhaps some cosmetic scratches.

I have a rear rack for my Camry. It holds the frame rather nicely. But my bike usually lives in the back of my van with the front wheel removed.

This is fairly typical. With all of the good and not so good bike racks available, this is Cannondale's way of removing themselves from all responsibilty if someone has a really bad rack and it damages the bike frame. Thule is one of the better rack manufacturers so you shouldn't have any problem with it. But why do you need to transport your bike? Just get on it and ride/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

This is fairly typical. With all of the good and not so good bike racks available, this is Cannondale's way of removing themselves from all responsibilty if someone has a really bad rack and it damages the bike frame. Thule is one of the better rack manufacturers so you shouldn't have any problem with it. But why do you need to transport your bike? Just get on it and ride/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.

personally I know why he may need to take it cause I for one live on a very winding and dangerous road that cars speed on frequently and have no regard for cyclists. I hate it, I wish I could just "get on and ride"

Originally Posted by Attlus .

personally I know why he may need to take it cause I for one live on a very winding and dangerous road that cars speed on frequently and have no regard for cyclists. I hate it, I wish I could just "get on and ride"

The last part of my post was meant in jest. I transport my bike too, partly because the road that I live on is a main thoroughfare with no shoulder, and partly because my riding partners live 27 miles from me and I don't feel like adding another 54 miles to our group rides.

Originally Posted by Banks .

Greetings!

Well my 07 Synapse carbon has been hung on my trunk carrier a hundred times since I purchased it. It is now just a sack full of carbon fibers./img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif