General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

NY Barbell's New Kettlebell

Started by ATP* · · Last activity · 5 posts · 464 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 November 2005
Last activity
10 November 2005
Original author
ATP*
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
464
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0350wh.html

    They are switching over to a wider handled, more traditional looking
    kettlebell. I picked up a 35 pounder yesterday. Workmanship and casting is
    OK. I don't have any Pavlov kettlebells to compare to, these were supposedly
    designed by Chinese masters.....

  2. "ATP*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0350wh.html

    They are switching over to a wider handled, more traditional looking
    kettlebell. I picked up a 35 pounder yesterday. Workmanship and
    casting is OK. I don't have any Pavlov kettlebells to compare to,
    these were supposedly designed by Chinese masters.....

    Their first offering, pictured on the left here:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/kettlebells.html

    was less than satisfactory for most things.

    The flat top to the handle and the corner at the ends of it still isn't
    great. See the difference?

    http://www.dragondoor.com/images/thumbnails/p10.jpg

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  3. "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "ATP*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0350wh.html

    They are switching over to a wider handled, more traditional looking
    kettlebell. I picked up a 35 pounder yesterday. Workmanship and casting
    is OK. I don't have any Pavlov kettlebells to compare to, these were
    supposedly designed by Chinese masters.....

    Their first offering, pictured on the left here:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/kettlebells.html

    was less than satisfactory for most things.

    The flat top to the handle and the corner at the ends of it still isn't
    great. See the difference?

    http://www.dragondoor.com/images/thumbnails/p10.jpg

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com


    I see the difference, but is it really significant?

  4. "ATP*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "ATP*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0350wh.html

    They are switching over to a wider handled, more traditional looking
    kettlebell. I picked up a 35 pounder yesterday. Workmanship and
    casting is OK. I don't have any Pavlov kettlebells to compare to,
    these were supposedly designed by Chinese masters.....

    Their first offering, pictured on the left here:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/kettlebells.html

    was less than satisfactory for most things.

    The flat top to the handle and the corner at the ends of it still
    isn't great. See the difference?

    http://www.dragondoor.com/images/thumbnails/p10.jpg

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com


    I see the difference, but is it really significant?

    It depends. We had an interesting discussion on Bryce Lane's board
    about different kettlebell handles. There's a handle-only product
    called the Kettlestack that you load your own plates onto. For the life
    of me, I could not figure out a way to [censored] the thing right-handed
    without the edge of a plate landing on a bone in my forearm. This is
    not an issue for people new to the Kettlestack - they either figure out
    a way to use what they've got, give up entirely, or whatever else, but
    I've been doing this for a few years and have my own "groove" for the
    movement. It was interesting but not altogether unexpected that the
    groove I had left-handed was different than the one I had right-handed.
    I could use the handle-based kettlebell left-handed for snatches without
    much problem although I still didn't find them as comfortable as with
    the kettlebells I was used to.

    So there are things like that with the difference in handle between the
    two kinds of kettlebells we're talking about as well - it only matters
    if it matters to you. I tend to slide into the rounded area of the
    handle pretty quickly when doing high-rep snatches and I think it would
    matter to me, although I don't think I'd mind it nearly as much as the
    sort of problems I describe above with the plate-loaded handle.

    Bottom line - for swings, just about anything should work. For
    movements in which the bell flips around like cleans and snatches, the
    handle shape becomes pretty important. For movements in which the
    handle flips once then stays there, e.g., jerks or presses, probably
    somewhere in between in terms of importance. If you look here, for
    instance:

    http://www.kettlebell.co.uk

    you'll see the same rounding at the edges of the handle. I've used
    these and _really_ like them, and if I was in the UK, I'd get them
    instead of DragonDoor kettlebells because they're less expensive.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  5. "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "ATP*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "ATP*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0350wh.html
    >
    > They are switching over to a wider handled, more traditional looking
    > kettlebell. I picked up a 35 pounder yesterday. Workmanship and casting
    > is OK. I don't have any Pavlov kettlebells to compare to, these were
    > supposedly designed by Chinese masters.....

    Their first offering, pictured on the left here:

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/kettlebells.html

    was less than satisfactory for most things.

    The flat top to the handle and the corner at the ends of it still isn't
    great. See the difference?

    http://www.dragondoor.com/images/thumbnails/p10.jpg

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com


    I see the difference, but is it really significant?

    It depends. We had an interesting discussion on Bryce Lane's board about
    different kettlebell handles. There's a handle-only product called the
    Kettlestack that you load your own plates onto. For the life of me, I
    could not figure out a way to [censored] the thing right-handed without the
    edge of a plate landing on a bone in my forearm. This is not an issue for
    people new to the Kettlestack - they either figure out a way to use what
    they've got, give up entirely, or whatever else, but I've been doing this
    for a few years and have my own "groove" for the movement. It was
    interesting but not altogether unexpected that the groove I had
    left-handed was different than the one I had right-handed. I could use the
    handle-based kettlebell left-handed for snatches without much problem
    although I still didn't find them as comfortable as with the kettlebells I
    was used to.

    So there are things like that with the difference in handle between the
    two kinds of kettlebells we're talking about as well - it only matters if
    it matters to you. I tend to slide into the rounded area of the handle
    pretty quickly when doing high-rep snatches and I think it would matter to
    me, although I don't think I'd mind it nearly as much as the sort of
    problems I describe above with the plate-loaded handle.

    Bottom line - for swings, just about anything should work. For movements
    in which the bell flips around like cleans and snatches, the handle shape
    becomes pretty important. For movements in which the handle flips once
    then stays there, e.g., jerks or presses, probably somewhere in between in
    terms of importance. If you look here, for instance:

    http://www.kettlebell.co.uk

    you'll see the same rounding at the edges of the handle. I've used these
    and _really_ like them, and if I was in the UK, I'd get them instead of
    DragonDoor kettlebells because they're less expensive.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com


    The round handle would have some advantages. Pavel looks like that guy who
    helped the Viet Cong torture John Rambo.........

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.