NY/NJ weather blues

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jonathan Kaplan, May 31, 2003.

  1. It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain. No bike/trike riding. Every other night
    has rain as well. The only bright spot is no draught this year.

    I'm trying to get into shape for my three day bike tour at the end of June. My patience is wearing
    thin and I'm becoming stir crazy in the house every weekend!

    Any other northeast weather sufferers out there?

    Tags:

  2. Yeah but at least it isn't Snowing ------draught?=drought------ "Jonathan Kaplan"
    > It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain. No bike/trike riding. Every other
    > night has rain as well. The only bright spot is no draught this year.
    >
    > I'm trying to get into shape for my three day bike tour at the end of
    June.
    > My patience is wearing thin and I'm becoming stir crazy in the house every weekend!
    >
    > Any other northeast weather sufferers out there?

  3. John

    John Guest

    Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
    > It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain. No bike/trike riding. Every other
    > night has rain as well. The only bright spot is no draught this year.
    >
    > I'm trying to get into shape for my three day bike tour at the end of June. My patience is wearing
    > thin and I'm becoming stir crazy in the house every weekend!
    >
    > Any other northeast weather sufferers out there?

    Here in the southern tier of NY it's supposed to clear early tomorrow morning, around 6am. It'll be
    windy and cool the rest of the day. I'll be hitting the road as soon as it looks clear. I did 60
    miles in rain, drizzle and road spray on Memorial Day. I stayed relatively dry, but the bike (a
    Burley Django) was a mess. Grit was on or in everything.

    This got me wondering about protecting the drive train from the elements. My chain holds up pretty
    well to water, so I'm satisfied with the chain lube I'm using. However, as I mentioned, the road
    grit got in everything. What are the best techniques for protecting the rear derailleur from water,
    road grit, and any other undesirables?

    -John

  4. Carter Brown

    Carter Brown Guest

    John <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<5%[email protected]>...
    > Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
    > > It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain.>

    Sort of same problem here. I have been able to sneak in rides on many of the wet days. Usually short
    rides and I stick close to home. Yesterday (Sat), the rain started just as I was heading home.
    Fenders are required.

  5. Chere

    Chere Guest

    From Maryland ~ I expect Noah to show up at anytime. We're trying to train for GOBA (Greater Ohio
    Bicycle Adventure). There's been a smorgasboard of weather here, changing constantly. Presently it's
    very windy and the skies look like they're ready to open up once again and drop yet more moisture on
    our already saturated + ground. Strangest weather I've seen in all my 55 years on this planet; how
    'bout you?

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  6. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    Yeah, me Jon, You and Reese done any riding at all lately? I got a ride in yesterday before the
    downpour!! Any indoor tracks around?? Chas G Edison

  7. John

    John Guest

    Carter Brown wrote:
    > John <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<5%[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain.>
    >>
    > Sort of same problem here. I have been able to sneak in rides on many of the wet days. Usually
    > short rides and I stick close to home. Yesterday (Sat), the rain started just as I was heading
    > home. Fenders are required.
    Fenders make a big difference. They've extend the range of conditions in which I'll ride my bike.
    I was surprised when I first started using them, how much they cut down on spray from the wheels.
    It used to be that after a heavy rain I'd be hesitant to go out because of all the water on the
    road. Even if it wasn't raining, I'd still get soaked. Fenders have almost completely eliminated
    that problem.

    With the addition of a rain suit, I now go out on days I never would have considered going out on
    before. The suit packs up pretty small, so I carry it with me on iffy days. It gives me the
    confidence to go on long rides on days that I would have otherwise been concerned about getting
    stuck in the rain. If you're going to get cycling rain wear I recommend saving up for something that
    has lots of ventilation, like large pit zips. I went though a couple of cheaper suits that didn't
    have enough ventilation. They weren't very useful, as they tended to trap too much body heat, and I
    still got soaked from perspiration that condensed on the inside of the suit. That still happens with
    a good suit, but not nearly as much. The extensive ventilation significantly reduces the temperature
    inside the suit. I use an extra large shower cap to cover my helmet.

    Now, if I could just have little windshield wipers for the glasses:)

    -John, who likes his Burley Django more than he thought he would.

  8. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Fortunately here in South Central Michigan we have not had the rain problem. In fact the water table is so low over the winter I had a 100% fish kill in my 3 acre pond. I think it was 100% as I have not seen a fish or even gotten a bite.

    But, that meant the I got to ride a whole lot more. I have logged approximately 1400 miles since Mar. 22 when the weather broke.

    Don't fret tho all, the weather is gonna change and you will be riding in earnest soon.

    Stay safe and spin away!:p

  9. muchamotion

    muchamotion New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003

  10. "chere" skrev...
    > From Maryland ~ I expect Noah to show up at anytime. We're trying to train for GOBA (Greater Ohio
    > Bicycle Adventure). There's been a smorgasboard of weather here, changing constantly. Presently
    > it's very windy and the skies look like they're ready to open up once again and drop yet more
    > moisture on our already saturated + ground. Strangest weather I've seen in all my 55 years on this
    > planet; how 'bout you?

    Aha so thats why some people have been so snappish lately? A touch of cabinfever?

    It would probably not help if I told you we have blue skies, a light breeze and temperatures around
    25C (77F) here in Denmark and that its expected to last till Thursday at least so just pretend you
    didn't read this. ;-)

    M.(250 klicks so far this weekend.)

  11. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    DH and I did a short ride Sat. AM before the clouds closed in. First ride in 3 weeks. Glub, glub.

    C.C.

    > From: muchamotion <[email protected]> Organization: [email protected]
    > Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: 2 Jun 2003 02:00:30 +0950 Subject: Re: NY/NJ
    > weather blues
    >
    > Originally posted by Jonathan Kaplan It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant
    > rain. No bike/trike riding. Every other night has rain as well. The only bright spot is no
    > draught this year.
    >
    > I'm trying to get into shape for my three day bike tour at the end of June. My patience is wearing
    > thin and I'm becoming stir crazy in the house every weekend!
    >

    > I'm in the Catskill Mountains and it's the same here, I started riding 'bents last August and was
    > looking forward to starting my training in April. Yeah [email protected]!!

  12. Jim Plaia

    Jim Plaia Guest

    I'll make an offer that I've mentioned to many during our drought out west. If you can box up your
    rain storms and get them to the post office, I'll pay for postage to ship it to the west. We've hit
    record setting temps appropriate for July/August already.

    "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain. No bike/trike riding. Every other
    > night has rain as well. The only bright spot is no draught this year.

  13. Sans Lucre

    Sans Lucre Guest

    On 5/31/03 8:36 p Jonathan Kaplan spake thus:

    > It's now official. Three weekends in a row of constant rain. No bike/trike riding. Every other
    > night has rain as well. The only bright spot is no draught this year.
    >
    > I'm trying to get into shape for my three day bike tour at the end of June. My patience is wearing
    > thin and I'm becoming stir crazy in the house every weekend!
    >
    > Any other northeast weather sufferers out there?

    Same situation here in PA! Maybe it would make you feel better to borrow my sig and plug in your
    state. :)

    --

    If it's ever decided that the USA needs an enema, the hose will be inserted in Pennsylvania.

    Sans Lucre