NYC Lunch report

C

Curly Sue

To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.

We had a great time today at Katz's. Personnel included: me, Terry, her husband Bill and artist
daughter, Rodney and Barbara, Stan, and Sheryl. It was so much fun to meet T&B and R&B for the first
time. Food included pastrami on rye (yum!), brisket sandwich, pickles, egg cream, matzo ball soup,
knish- hopefully the participants will fill in details. I didn't notice what the far end of the
table (Rodney, Barbara, Bill) got. It wasn't crowded when we were there but the arrangement of the
tables didn't lend itself to even distribution of conversation, so I didn't get a chance to chat
much with that end (next time guys!).

Terry managed to behave herself most of the time; only once did it get to the point where other
customers stared. I hear Katz's is taking down the "Meg Ryan sat here in When Harry Met Sally" and
putting up a new sign over our table suggesting that customers get what Terry ordered instead.

Jack didn't make it; we worried that something might have happened and hope he's OK (Jack?).
Margaret is probably at home with ice on her ears, because they're burning so much from us talking
about her.

We signed a birthday card for Marcel but unfortunately left it in custody of the least responsible
person of the group, namely me. Only heaven knows when it will get mailed. Just ask Sheryl- I
finally gave her today an envelope I told her I was mailing to her in September.

On the way to Stan's car, Sheryl and I stopped at a knish store called Yamel Shimmel(?) which was
nearby, right next to a foam rubber store (not a store made of f.r., but a store that sells only
f.r.!) I bought a kasha knish for tomorrow. I just snuck a preview bite and did my own Meg Ryan imitation-
it is awesome!

After a quick trip to Office Depot, Stan drove us to my house where I served my guests tea and
chocolate graham crackers. Don't laugh, the tea was Fauchon's House Blend. We chatted quite a while,
mostly about Margaret, then went out for pizza to fortify Stan and Sheryl for their journey home.
You could tell that we were all pretty fortified after a day of eating because we managed to walk
right by Cold Stone Creamery without a third glance. :>

Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
> To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report.
(snip)
> Sue(tm)

Sounds like a good time. Thanks for the report.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

I'll chime in, interspersed throughout Sue's narrative!

in article [email protected], Curly Sue at [email protected] wrote on
2/21/04 8:48 PM:

> To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
> check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.
>
> We had a great time today at Katz's. Personnel included: me, Terry, her husband Bill and artist
> daughter,

Terry's artist Daughter's name is Kristin. She lives in Brooklyn. When she arrived I knew
immediately she belonged to Terry....she looks exactly like her mom! FYI, Kristin had just a bagel
with cream cheese to go. How she passed up all that great stuff....I'll never know.

After I had ordered my sandwich, I was debating getting a knish or some matzo ball soup. I decided I
make a pretty decent soup at home, so I opted for the knish. Meanwhile, I noticed something on the
grill that looked like Kielbasa, but could only have been the knoblewurst that was on the menu. For
those who don't know, knobelwurst is garlic sausage. It was tempting but I already had my pastrami
sandwich. It's something I will investigate another time because it looked and smelled great!

> Rodney and Barbara, Stan, and Sheryl. It was so much fun to meet T&B and R&B for the first time.
> Food included pastrami on rye (yum!), brisket sandwich, pickles, egg cream, matzo ball soup, knish-
> hopefully the participants will fill in details. I didn't notice what the far end of the table
> (Rodney, Barbara, Bill) got.

Bill had chicken noodle soup. Not sure if he had anything else. Rodney and Barbara shared a
reuben sandwich. There were plenty of pickles on the table and I am wishing I had asked for a few
more of those wonderful sour tomatoes! I'm saving the one I wrapped with my half sandwich for
lunch tomorrow.

> It wasn't crowded when we were there but the arrangement of the tables didn't lend itself to
> even distribution of conversation, so I didn't get a chance to chat much with that end (next
> time guys!).
>
> Terry managed to behave herself most of the time; only once did it get to the point where other
> customers stared. I hear Katz's is taking down the "Meg Ryan sat here in When Harry Met Sally" and
> putting up a new sign over our table suggesting that customers get what Terry ordered instead.
>
> Jack didn't make it; we worried that something might have happened and hope he's OK (Jack?).
> Margaret is probably at home with ice on her ears, because they're burning so much from us talking
> about her.
>
> We signed a birthday card for Marcel but unfortunately left it in custody of the least responsible
> person of the group, namely me. Only heaven knows when it will get mailed. Just ask Sheryl- I
> finally gave her today an envelope I told her I was mailing to her in September.

Yup. It's true.

>
> On the way to Stan's car, Sheryl and I stopped at a knish store called Yamel Shimmel(?) which was
> nearby, right next to a foam rubber store (not a store made of f.r., but a store that sells only
> f.r.!) I bought a kasha knish for tomorrow. I just snuck a preview bite and did my own Meg Ryan
> imitation- it is awesome!

Mine are safely tucked away in the fridge. Yonah Schimmel's is one of the two very famous knish
bakeries in NYC. The other is Mrs Stahl's. I think Zabar's gets theirs from Mrs Stahl's. Both are
good. I think Yonah Schimmel's might be a little bit better. There used to be a Yonah Schimmel's
uptown in Margaret's neighborhood. Not sure if it's still there.

>
> After a quick trip to Office Depot, Stan drove us to my house where I served my guests tea and
> chocolate graham crackers. Don't laugh, the tea was Fauchon's House Blend. We chatted quite a
> while, mostly about Margaret, then went out for pizza to fortify Stan and Sheryl for their journey
> home. You could tell that we were all pretty fortified after a day of eating because we managed to
> walk right by Cold Stone Creamery without a third glance. :>

Yeah, the tea was from Fauchon and it was delicious and didn't really need sweetening. The cookies
were awesome! And I'm betting that box you gave me, Sue, will be empty by Friday!

The pizza was great, it was slightly different, in that it was a thin crust square pie, and it was
sort of inside out. The cheese was on the bottom and the sauce was on top. For someone who loves
good sauce, like me, it was perfect! The fresh basil was a great touch.

I stopped at Target on the way home, because we don't have that store near me. I bought a bottle of
soap for the bathroom, how very exciting! Then I headed home.

I'm tired, but it was a very nice day. Always nice to visit with friends!

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:48:56 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
Sue) wrote:

>To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
>check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.
>
>We had a great time today at Katz's. Personnel included: me, Terry, her husband Bill and artist
>daughter, Rodney and Barbara, Stan, and Sheryl. It was so much fun to meet T&B and R&B for the
>first time. Food included pastrami on rye (yum!), brisket sandwich, pickles, egg cream, matzo ball
>soup, knish- hopefully the participants will fill in details. I didn't notice what the far end of
>the table (Rodney, Barbara, Bill) got. It wasn't crowded when we were there but the arrangement of
>the tables didn't lend itself to even distribution of conversation, so I didn't get a chance to
>chat much with that end (next time guys!).
Barbara and I got there just before 11 and found Terry and Bill. We split a Rueben and had Katz's
Ale, one of several drafts available.

We had never been to Katz, in the 28 years we have lived here. It is really big, and was
booming by noon.

More amazing, we had never been to Russ & Daughters, which we visited on the way home. We got two
fillets of herring in mustard-dill sauce for tomorrow's breakfast.

The sun seemed to be coming out, so we took the camera to Central Park. Unfortunately the ponds
were still pretty iced up and we didn't find any ducks other than Mallards. We saw one large hawk
but not close.

In the C train after, a family with two small daughters were there from a visit to the Natural
History museum. Mom spoke of going home, and the nearest little girl (8ish?) said "I don't want to
go home. Can't we stay in New York longer?"

It was fun to meet new RFCers

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Never eat more in a single day than your head weighs." --Jim Harrison

Interesting report(s) - sounds great.

I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one
when I was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty of recipes, but lacking on a pic or
description. Anyone ?!

Thanks.

lea b wrote:
> Interesting report(s) - sounds great.
>
> I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one when I
> was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty of recipes, but lacking on a pic or description.
> Anyone ?!
>
> Thanks.
>
>
http://www.knishery.com/

Margaret Suran wrote:
> lea b wrote:
>> Interesting report(s) - sounds great.
>>
>> I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one when
>> I was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty of recipes, but lacking on a pic or description.
>> Anyone ?!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
> http://www.knishery.com/

Wow! That's more than I paid for my Alaskan sea scallops!

Jill

Curly Sue wrote:
> To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
> check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.
>
> We had a great time today at Katz's.

I sure wish I had been able to meet you all and have such a delightful meal with you.. Next
time.......

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:01:01 -0600, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Margaret Suran wrote:
>> lea b wrote:
>>> Interesting report(s) - sounds great.
>>>
>>> I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one when
>>> I was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty of recipes, but lacking on a pic or description.
>>> Anyone ?!
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>>
>> http://www.knishery.com/
>
>Wow! That's more than I paid for my Alaskan sea scallops!
>
>Jill

Prices ($55/dozen) include shipping and handling, which is generally by weight (these are
substantial babies) and special handling for perishables.

lea b <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one when I
> was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty of recipes, but lacking on a pic or description.
> Anyone ?!

I don't have any knish photos. I enjoyed the lunch at Katz's Deli with the other rfc people
yesterday. My lunch was fantastic. I had a hot brisket sandwhich on rye (with a bit of ketchup), a
bowl of matzo ball soup, and the half sour pickles. Sheryl and I also split a potato knish. All the
food I ate there was excellent. I also bought some salami to eat at home. I ate a few slices of the
salami this morning for breakfast.

My plans for yesterday's visit to Manhattan (its about a 90 mile drive for me) were very modest.
Stop by J&R's to buy a lens for my Digital Rebel and get together with the RFC folks for lunch at
Katz's Deli. Other than that, I really had not thought about doing anything else in Manhattan
that day because I am planning to be away all next week. On the spur of the moment, we ended up
back at Sue's house with Sheryl. The three of us had a wonderful time, as Sue already related in
this thread.

It was a pleasure to meet all the rfc people, esp. Terry and her husband Bill who traveled cross
country and came up with the idea of this gathering. I have a few photos from our lunch which I will
post on my web site tonight.

In article <[email protected]>, "lea b"

>
> Anyone ?!
>
> Thanks.

Keep Googling, Toots, but do a Google *image* search rather than web search. Go back to Google's
home page and look for "images", then type in knish. Top row, two on the right are for starters. :)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

"Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> lea b wrote:
> > Interesting report(s) - sounds great.
> >
> > I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one when
> > I was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty
of
> > recipes, but lacking on a pic or description. Anyone ?!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
> http://www.knishery.com/
>

I can't tell from the website - what IS a knish? Is it like a muffin? kili

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:11:57 GMT, Margaret Suran

>
>
>Curly Sue wrote:
>> To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
>> check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.
>>
>> We had a great time today at Katz's.
>
>
>I sure wish I had been able to meet you all and have such a delightful meal with you.. Next
>time.......

I, too, am sorry, I was unable to join everyone yesterday.

There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try to
gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the city or
someplace in the area that is convenient to all.

Boron

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:54:22 -0500, Boron Elgar

>There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try
>to gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the city
>or someplace in the area that is convenient to all.
>
>Boron

That's a great idea!

in article [email protected], Boron Elgar at
[email protected] wrote on 2/22/04 11:54 AM:

>
> I, too, am sorry, I was unable to join everyone yesterday.
>
> There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try
> to gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the city
> or someplace in the area that is convenient to all.
>
> Boron

I'm in!

Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:

> Curly Sue wrote:
>> To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
>> check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.
>>
>> We had a great time today at Katz's.

> I sure wish I had been able to meet you all and have such a delightful meal with you.. Next
> time.......

Definitely. How was your day celebrating Marcel's birthday?

Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
> in article [email protected], Boron Elgar at
> [email protected] wrote on 2/22/04 11:54 AM:

>>
>> I, too, am sorry, I was unable to join everyone yesterday.
>>
>> There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try
>> to gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the
>> city or someplace in the area that is convenient to all.
>>
>> Boron

> I'm in!

Me chew! :)

kilikini <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't tell from the website - what IS a knish? Is it like a muffin?

No, a knish is sort of like a stuffed pastry. Popular knish stuffings are: rice, liver, kasha,
potato, or broccoli. The best way to find learn about knishen is to eat some for yourself.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:07:00 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
Sue) wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:54:22 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try
>>to gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the city
>>or someplace in the area that is convenient to all.
>>
>>Boron
>
>That's a great idea!
>
>Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Then in the merry, merry month of May, we will chose a day & place.

Boron

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:44:13 -0500, Boron Elgar

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:07:00 GMT, [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:54:22 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try
>>>to gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the
>>>city or someplace in the area that is convenient to all.
>>>
>>>Boron
>>
>>That's a great idea!
>>
>>Sue(tm)
>
>Then in the merry, merry month of May, we will chose a day & place.
>
>Boron

Excellent timing, for me anyway.

I have set an alarm for the last week of April to remind us to start thinking about it.

(Margaret- clear May! No excuses next time :>)