NYC Lunch report

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:44:13 -0500, Boron Elgar
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:07:00 GMT, [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:54:22 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>There does seem to be a large local contingent of rfc adherents, though, and perhaps we could try
>>>to gather up sub-set of them every 3 months or so to meet somewhere for Saturday lunch in the
>>>city or someplace in the area that is convenient to all.
>>>
>>>Boron
>>
>>That's a great idea!
>>
>>Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>

>Then in the merry, merry month of May, we will chose a day & place.

Sounds great inprinciple. However, I expect our sailboat will be in the water by that time and we
will most likely be sailing every Sat and Sun.

But if it becomes an institution, we'd love to join you during non-sailing months. November and Feb?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Never eat more in a single day than your head weighs." --Jim Harrison

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:24:18 GMT, [email protected]
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:01:01 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Margaret Suran wrote:

> >> http://www.knishery.com/
> >
> >Wow! That's more than I paid for my Alaskan sea scallops!
> >
> >Jill
>
> Prices ($55/dozen) include shipping and handling, which is generally by weight (these are
> substantial babies) and special handling for perishables.

The knish are $2.00 per dozen potato and $2.50 per dozen cheese.

Packed in dry ice by FedEx with E. Coast to W. Coast - delivery charges would be as follows:

FedEx First Overnight®
8:00am or 8:30am the next business day to major cities $75.51 (one pound)

FedEx Priority Overnight®
9:30am the next business day to most cities $49.26 (one pound)

On 22 Feb 2004 18:52:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

> kilikini <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I can't tell from the website - what IS a knish? Is it like a muffin?
>
> No, a knish is sort of like a stuffed pastry. Popular knish stuffings are: rice, liver, kasha,
> potato, or broccoli. The best way to find learn about knishen is to eat some for yourself.

I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:22:29 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:44:13 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
>>Then in the merry, merry month of May, we will chose a day & place.
>>
>Sounds great inprinciple. However, I expect our sailboat will be in the water by that time and we
>will most likely be sailing every Sat and Sun.
>
>But if it becomes an institution, we'd love to join you during non-sailing months.
>November and Feb?

That would be about right.

BTW, if you ever need an extra sailing hand, I know a boatless sailor (not me; I never got past
tying knots on land :>) who is always itching to go. I've split the cost of a rental with him a
couple of times (I'm pretty worthless other than that) from City Island, but I don't have the free
time he does and his wife isn't as crazy about sailing as he is (which is why he doesn't have his
own boat).

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:53:58 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "lea b"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting report(s) - sounds great.
> >
> > I have never heard of a knish before ( googling furiously ). I wish i'd found and tried one
> > when I was in NYC - i'm intrigued ! Getting plenty of recipes, but lacking on a pic or
> > description. Anyone ?!
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Keep Googling, Toots, but do a Google *image* search rather than web search. Go back to
> Google's home page and look for "images", then type in knish. Top row, two on the right are for
> starters. :)

The one from www.pastramisandwich.com/Products.htm looks absolutely delish!

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:11:57 GMT, Margaret Suran
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Curly Sue wrote:
> > To break the ice here, I will start off with my version of a report. When the various attendees
> > check in from their various romps, they can fill you in on their impressions.
> >
> > We had a great time today at Katz's.
>

> I sure wish I had been able to meet you all and have such a delightful meal with you.. Next
> time.......

Oh, yeah... I've heard that line before.

LOL! You're very smooth, Margaret.

On 23 Feb 2004 15:29:11 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>sf <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
>
>What's a piroshki?

Piroshki, peirogie, won-ton, kreplach, ravioli, pelmeni - so many cultures have a dish such as
this...a thin dough, stuffed with savory or sweet, meat or dairy or vegetable or combination of
ingredients, which can be served alone, sauced, dipped, boiled, fried, baked, etc.

A very versatile and inexpensive way making a filling dish or for using up leftovers.

A knish is a variation on this theme, much as a stuffed bun or steamed Chinese dumpling.

Boron

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2004 15:29:11 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >sf <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
> >
> >What's a piroshki?
>
> Piroshki, peirogie, won-ton, kreplach, ravioli, pelmeni - so many cultures have a dish such as
> this...a thin dough, stuffed with savory or sweet, meat or dairy or vegetable or combination of
> ingredients, which can be served alone, sauced, dipped, boiled, fried, baked, etc.

My experience of piroshki is that they are generally a meat turnover with a dough of either yeast
bread or short pastry. Nothing like a pierog which is more of a dumpling with a noodle-like dough. I
would put piroshki in a class with empanadas and Welsh pasties, etc., and put pierogi in a class
with won-tons, ravioli, pelmeni, etc. To me a knish belongs more in the the piroshki class.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:25:56 -0500, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:

>> >What's a piroshki?
>>
>> Piroshki, peirogie, won-ton, kreplach, ravioli, pelmeni - so many cultures have a dish such as
>> this...a thin dough, stuffed with savory or sweet, meat or dairy or vegetable or combination of
>> ingredients, which can be served alone, sauced, dipped, boiled, fried, baked, etc.
>
>My experience of piroshki is that they are generally a meat turnover with a dough of either yeast
>bread or short pastry. Nothing like a pierog which is more of a dumpling with a noodle-like dough.
>I would put piroshki in a class with empanadas and Welsh pasties, etc., and put pierogi in a class
>with won-tons, ravioli, pelmeni, etc. To me a knish belongs more in the the piroshki class.
>
>Kate

Indeed. I was thinking of them more generally, and could well have added pasties & empanadas. Though
the dough may differ, the idea is the same.

Boron

sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 22 Feb 2004 18:52:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > kilikini <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I can't tell from the website - what IS a knish? Is it like a muffin?
> >
> > No, a knish is sort of like a stuffed pastry. Popular knish stuffings are: rice, liver, kasha,
> > potato, or broccoli. The best way to find learn about knishen is to eat some for yourself.
> >
> I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Yeah, sorta. Kinda. Not really! But sorta kinda LIKE a piroshki.

The concept is the same though.

Piroshki (the ones I've had, anyway) are a yeast dough wrapped around a cabbage filling, like a
turnover. I've also had potato-cabbage filled piroshki. Yummy little things!!! Doughy, more dough
(or at least, as much dough) than filling.

Knish are not made with a yeast dough. My grandmother made them filled with very oniony mashed
potatoes that were made with chicken fat and lots of black pepper. Her dough was pretty much like a
noodle dough, made with vegetable oil and eggs. I vividly remember watching her beat the eggs and
oil together with a fork in her wooden bowl, then pouring it into the well of flour on her wooden
board. Grandma taught my Mom to make them, and I remember us making them that way, too. We'd roll
the dough out very thin, so you could almost see through it, in a big rectangle. Then we'd put a
strip of mashed potato filling along the long side, about an inch in from the edge. Brush the edge
with beaten egg, then fold it over the filling, pressing to seal. Then cut the filled cylinder off
the rest of the dough, press to seal securely, flip it over onto the seam (so it didn't unroll) and
then slice into about inch wide pieces. We'd bake them on an oiled baking sheet, cut side down,
until the dough was golden brown.

These were more filling than dough. WAYYYY more filling than dough. In fact, the only reason for the
dough was so the food would be portable and edible with fingers.

On 23 Feb 2004 11:06:34 -0800, [email protected] (Sheryl) wrote:

>sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>> > No, a knish is sort of like a stuffed pastry. Popular knish stuffings are: rice, liver, kasha,
>> > potato, or broccoli. The best way to find learn about knishen is to eat some for yourself.
>> >
>> I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
>>

>> Practice safe eating - always use condiments
>
>Yeah, sorta. Kinda. Not really! But sorta kinda LIKE a piroshki.
>
>The concept is the same though.
>
>Piroshki (the ones I've had, anyway) are a yeast dough wrapped around a cabbage filling, like a
>turnover. I've also had potato-cabbage filled piroshki. Yummy little things!!! Doughy, more dough
>(or at least, as much dough) than filling.
>
>Knish are not made with a yeast dough.

There are almost as many variation on knish dough as there are nouvelle Jewish cuisine knish
fillings these days. I have recipes with & without yeast. Different grandmothers.

Liver filled was popular in our house as was potato filled.

Boron

"Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:25:56 -0500, Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Boron Elgar wrote:

> >> Piroshki, peirogie, won-ton, kreplach, ravioli, pelmeni - so many cultures have a dish such as
> >> this...a thin dough, stuffed with savory or sweet, meat or dairy or vegetable or combination of
> >> ingredients, which can be served alone, sauced, dipped, boiled, fried, baked, etc.
> >
> >My experience of piroshki is that they are generally a meat turnover with a dough of either
> >yeast bread or short pastry. Nothing like a pierog which is more of a dumpling with a noodle-
> >like dough. I would put piroshki in a class with empanadas and Welsh pasties, etc., and put
> >pierogi in a class with won-tons, ravioli, pelmeni, etc. To me a knish belongs more in the the
> >piroshki class.
> >
> >Kate
>
> Indeed. I was thinking of them more generally, and could well have added pasties & empanadas.
> Though the dough may differ, the idea is the same.
>
> Boron

So like a manapua? http://www.starbulletin.com/97/04/09/features/request.html for a picture. kili

"Sheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> sf <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > No, a knish is sort of like a stuffed pastry. Popular knish stuffings
are: rice,
> > > liver, kasha, potato, or broccoli. The best way to find learn about
knishen is
> > > to eat some for yourself.
> > >
> > I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments
>
> Yeah, sorta. Kinda. Not really! But sorta kinda LIKE a piroshki.
>
> The concept is the same though.
>
> Piroshki (the ones I've had, anyway) are a yeast dough wrapped around a cabbage filling, like a
> turnover. I've also had potato-cabbage filled piroshki. Yummy little things!!! Doughy, more dough
> (or at least, as much dough) than filling.
>
> Knish are not made with a yeast dough. My grandmother made them filled with very oniony mashed
> potatoes that were made with chicken fat and lots of black pepper. Her dough was pretty much like
> a noodle dough, made with vegetable oil and eggs. I vividly remember watching her beat the eggs
> and oil together with a fork in her wooden bowl, then pouring it into the well of flour on her
> wooden board. Grandma taught my Mom to make them, and I remember us making them that way, too.
> We'd roll the dough out very thin, so you could almost see through it, in a big rectangle. Then
> we'd put a strip of mashed potato filling along the long side, about an inch in from the edge.
> Brush the edge with beaten egg, then fold it over the filling, pressing to seal. Then cut the
> filled cylinder off the rest of the dough, press to seal securely, flip it over onto the seam (so
> it didn't unroll) and then slice into about inch wide pieces. We'd bake them on an oiled baking
> sheet, cut side down, until the dough was golden brown.
>
> These were more filling than dough. WAYYYY more filling than dough. In fact, the only reason for
> the dough was so the food would be portable and edible with fingers.

So what nationality is a knish? What nationality is a piroshki? I'm assuming now that Manapua is
more like a Piroshki because it's a yeasty doughy mound stuffed with meat fillings - from Kalua
Pork, to Char Siu to Chicken Curry to Brown Pork, etc. The dough around the meat filling is very
very sweet and the *dumpling* (for lack of a better word because they're about the size of a
coaster) is steamed.

kili

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:13:58 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
cut
>> side down, until the dough was golden brown.
>>
>> These were more filling than dough. WAYYYY more filling than dough.
In
>> fact, the only reason for the dough was so the food would be
portable
>> and edible with fingers.
>
>So what nationality is a knish? What nationality is a piroshki? I'm assuming now that Manapua is
>more like a Piroshki because it's a
yeasty
>doughy mound stuffed with meat fillings - from Kalua Pork, to Char
Siu to
>Chicken Curry to Brown Pork, etc. The dough around the meat filling
is very
>very sweet and the *dumpling* (for lack of a better word because
they're
>about the size of a coaster) is steamed.

Did you know Kili, that manapua was invented in Hawaii despite the red mark on top? It is one of my
favorites and so local and so good like our awesome mangoes and avos<g>. When I was a kid, the
Manapua truck would go around the neighborhood ringing his little bell and the guy would have tons
of steamed manapua ready to buy.

aloha from down the island chain, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

in article [email protected], Boron Elgar at

> On 23 Feb 2004 11:06:34 -0800, [email protected] (Sheryl) wrote:
>
>> sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>>> I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
>>>

>>> Practice safe eating - always use condiments
>>
>> Yeah, sorta. Kinda. Not really! But sorta kinda LIKE a piroshki.
>>
>> The concept is the same though.
>>
>> Piroshki (the ones I've had, anyway) are a yeast dough wrapped around a cabbage filling, like a
>> turnover. I've also had potato-cabbage filled piroshki. Yummy little things!!! Doughy, more dough
>> (or at least, as much dough) than filling.
>>
>> Knish are not made with a yeast dough.
>
> There are almost as many variation on knish dough as there are nouvelle Jewish cuisine knish
> fillings these days. I have recipes with & without yeast. Different grandmothers.
>
> Liver filled was popular in our house as was potato filled.
>
> Boron

Of course, you are right!!! Different people made them different ways.

Our family made them with sort of an oily-eggy pie dough. Not really a noodle, as pierogi or
kreplach. Not sure what the real difference would be...if one made noodle dough and baked it rather
than boiled it...would that be close to what my grandma made for knishes? Maybe there was baking
soda in the knish dough. Maybe it's basically a noodle dough, but the addition of leavening makes it
more like crust than noodle???

This recipe was never written down, it was demonstrated for me when I was very small. After my
grandmother died, on the rare occasions my mom ever did make knishes, she "cheated" and used
crescent roll dough rolled very thin, or frozen puff pastry again, rolled very thin. Good, but not
quite the same! The filling, of course, was made from potatoes mashed with onions sauteed in chicken
fat, lots of onions! and lots of black pepper.

I'm going by a vague memory of a 4 year old watching her grandma beat something yellow in a faded
shallow wooden bowl with a fork. I can only surmise it was eggs. And later, at the age of maybe 7,
watching Mom and Grandma do the same thing in our dining room, and then watching in fascination as
they poured this yellow liquid (!) into the middle of a ring of flour, and using a fork, gradually
mixing in the flour a bit at a time, and being AMAZED that the flour contained the puddle of what I
now surmise to be eggs and oil, and that it didn't make a huge mess on the dining room table that
now sits in my apartment.

Not really sure. But you know, the empanada analogy for a knish is a good one. I forgot about those.
That's something I've wanted to try, btw. Knishes made with with those Goya empanada wraps. Talk
about Fusion Cuisine!

THANK YOU very much for the very descriptive explanation!

Although the piroshki I buy aren't as doughy as the one's you've encountered, the dough isn't as
thin as you describe. I'm beginning to think I'll like them. However, they aren't a big deal out
here - so it's not as esy to find as piroshki.

Maybe someone in SF has a suggestion for where to find a good knish here in the City?

````````````````````

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > sf <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> muffin?

> are: rice,
> knishen is
> > > >
> > > I've never had one... and didn't know they were stuffed! Are they anything like piroshki?
> > >

> > > Practice safe eating - always use condiments
> >
> > Yeah, sorta. Kinda. Not really! But sorta kinda LIKE a piroshki.
> >
> > The concept is the same though.
> >
> > Piroshki (the ones I've had, anyway) are a yeast dough wrapped around a cabbage filling, like a
> > turnover. I've also had potato-cabbage filled piroshki. Yummy little things!!! Doughy, more
> > dough (or at least, as much dough) than filling.
> >
> > Knish are not made with a yeast dough. My grandmother made them filled with very oniony mashed
> > potatoes that were made with chicken fat and lots of black pepper. Her dough was pretty much
> > like a noodle dough, made with vegetable oil and eggs. I vividly remember watching her beat the
> > eggs and oil together with a fork in her wooden bowl, then pouring it into the well of flour on
> > her wooden board. Grandma taught my Mom to make them, and I remember us making them that way,
> > too. We'd roll the dough out very thin, so you could almost see through it, in a big rectangle.
> > Then we'd put a strip of mashed potato filling along the long side, about an inch in from the
> > edge. Brush the edge with beaten egg, then fold it over the filling, pressing to seal. Then cut
> > the filled cylinder off the rest of the dough, press to seal securely, flip it over onto the
> > seam (so it didn't unroll) and then slice into about inch wide pieces. We'd bake them on an
> > oiled baking sheet, cut side down, until the dough was golden brown.
> >
> > These were more filling than dough. WAYYYY more filling than dough. In fact, the only reason
> > for the dough was so the food would be portable and edible with fingers.
>
> So what nationality is a knish?

Jewish... but I don't know from where.

> What nationality is a piroshki?

Russian... well, it's from the old Soviet Republic and it's here because we have so many Jews who
escaped from there.

"smithfarms pure kona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:13:58 GMT, "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Sheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> sf <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

(snip)

> Did you know Kili, that manapua was invented in Hawaii despite the red mark on top? It is one of
> my favorites and so local and so good like our awesome mangoes and avos<g>. When I was a kid, the
> Manapua truck would go around the neighborhood ringing his little bell and the guy would have tons
> of steamed manapua ready to buy.
>

> aloha from down the island chain, Thunder
>
> http://www.smithfarms.com
> Farmers & Sellers of 100%
> Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

The Manupua Man - have you ever heard that song Thunder? "His name is Wy Chan and he drives a white
van, he's the manapua man". kilikini