NYC - New Jersey Route?

ElPerro

May 8, 2004
Hopefully somebody knows how to do this…. I need to get from mid-town Manhattan to the Oranges (i.e., South Orange Avenue) in New Jersey. Is there a reasonably direct way to go from a ferry stop on the Jersey side, across that swampy “wasteland,” to Newark/the Oranges? I understand that bikes cannot use 1, 9 or 78, and I’d rather not have to detour all the way south and come back up again – probably take forever.

Thanks….

ElPerro said:
Hopefully somebody knows how to do this…. I need to get from mid-town Manhattan to the Oranges (i.e., South Orange Avenue) in New Jersey. Is there a reasonably direct way to go from a ferry stop on the Jersey side, across that swampy “wasteland,” to Newark/the Oranges? I understand that bikes cannot use 1, 9 or 78, and I’d rather not have to detour all the way south and come back up again – probably take forever.

Thanks….
I was wondering about a similar route. So which area in Jersey are you stopping at with the Ferry?
It doesn't seem like there's any easy way to accomplish that ride, but ya never know. I'd just think to start looking for main-type roads and zig-zag around in a southwestern-ish direction. Hey, try this...if you have the time, you can also post a message in the New York Adventure Racing Association message group on Yahoo. There are a lot of central/northern NJ and NY residents, and they would also be able to help. If you go to Yahoo Groups and search for NYARA or NYARANEDG, you should find them.
Good luck and post the route if you find one!
:D

Wow, that sounds tough at first. I'm thinking you have to cross the Hackensack River, then the Passaic. You're right that you're ruled out from using 1&9, 78, Turnpike, and you need to cross that river somehow. From Exchange Place, Route 7/Belleville Tpk might be an option, I honestly do not know but I doubt it -- but this would bring you to the Newark Tpk and dump you in Harrison, which takes care of the river/bridge issue.

Finding your way to the NJ Transit Hoboken terminal is another option, but they do not allow bikes during peak hours.

I'm actually interested in the reverse direction. I'd love to hear of any findings.

Edit: Just looked at it, and 7 is a no-go. Only ways I know of crossing the Hackensack with a bike is Rt 46 at Little Ferry and Degraw Ave in Bogota/Hackensack which is too far north.

ElPerro said:

Thanks….
Try the GWashington Bridge. At one time there was a path across. It might've been removed during one of the endless rehab jobs. If not try PATH to at least Jersey City, if not all the way to Newark.

BTW, it's not that bikes aren't allowed on 1/9 or 78, it's that there are much easier ways to kill yourself.

Check out NJ Transit, as there might be a way to take a train out of Grand Central (I think) to at least get you over the river. Check with them for the rules: on the LIRR (Long Island RR) you either must have a Bike Pass (which must be purchased, the bastards) or the bike must be partially taken apart, ie at least one wheel must be detatched from the rest of the machine. Stupid, but true.