NYT: Armstrong Off the Bike/On the Marathon Again

Feld wrote:
> “The last four months, I’ve been on a bike four times, all in charity
> events. But I run daily or go to the gym and go in a kayak or on a
> stand-up paddleboard. I think I’m in pretty good shape. I’ll probably be
> 5 pounds lighter for the [NY] marathon this year, 175 rather than 180. I
> rode the Tours at 165.”

---------------
Not surprising that he doesn't ride
anymore. A bike was tool that he used
in his occupation to make money. Like
if a Logger retires, he doesn't pick up
a chainsaw and go to the forest to play
with in his retirement. Very surprising
for me to read this, because personally
I've mirrored Lance. I cycled my ass
off in the same time period that Lance
did, and now I rarely ride for fun, only
commuting. But I am running a lot for a
marathon I'm going to do in February/
08, and for fun I do lots of kayaking,
just like Lance. Even my weight is
almost in line with Lance, but I'm at
165 now with the running I've been
doing, but when Lance was doing his
Tours, I weighed 175.

In article <[email protected]>,
Feld <[email protected]> wrote:

> ³The last four months, I¹ve been on a bike four times, all in charity
> events. But I run daily or go to the gym and go in a kayak or on a
> stand-up paddleboard. I think I¹m in pretty good shape. I¹ll probably be
> 5 pounds lighter for the [NY] marathon this year, 175 rather than 180. I
> rode the Tours at 165.²
>
> http://select.nytimes.com/mem/tnt.html?emc=tnt&tntget=2007/10/03/sports/others
> ports/03lance.html&tntemail0=y

Anyone else shocked he's only 15 pounds over his Tour weight?

I mean, from what I know, he didn't even keep his Tour weight during the
off-season; 175 would have been a not-unreasonable weight for Lance in
October.

>> ³The last four months, I¹ve been on a bike four times, all in charity
>> events. But I run daily or go to the gym and go in a kayak or on a
>> stand-up paddleboard. I think I¹m in pretty good shape. I¹ll probably be
>> 5 pounds lighter for the [NY] marathon this year, 175 rather than 180. I
>> rode the Tours at 165.²
>>
>> http://select.nytimes.com/mem/tnt.html?emc=tnt&tntget=2007/10/03/sports/others
>> ports/03lance.html&tntemail0=y

> Anyone else shocked he's only 15 pounds over his Tour weight?
>
> I mean, from what I know, he didn't even keep his Tour weight during the
> off-season; 175 would have been a not-unreasonable weight for Lance in
> October.

I'd say maybe 5-6 lbs over his target weight in the "off season", as long as
you don't get off the bike completely for more than a week or so. And I
doubt those guys did, except to play beach volleyball and grab-ass while on
holiday in Curacao or Aruba.

"Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> because personally I've mirrored Lance. I cycled my ass off in the same
> time period that Lance did, and now I rarely ride for fun, only commuting.
> But I am running a lot for a marathon I'm going to do in February/ 08, and
> for fun I do lots of kayaking, just like Lance. Even my weight is almost
> in line with Lance, but I'm at 165 now with the running I've been doing,
> but when Lance was doing his Tours, I weighed 175.

HAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

On Oct 3, 1:14 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Very surprising
> for me to read this, because personally
> I've mirrored Lance.

yeah but ... did you get a nut cut off too? date your mom's look-
alike?

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Feld <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>³The last four months, I¹ve been on a bike four times, all in charity
>>events. But I run daily or go to the gym and go in a kayak or on a
>>stand-up paddleboard. I think I¹m in pretty good shape. I¹ll probably be
>>5 pounds lighter for the [NY] marathon this year, 175 rather than 180. I
>>rode the Tours at 165.²
>>
>>http://select.nytimes.com/mem/tnt.html?emc=tnt&tntget=2007/10/03/sports/others
>>ports/03lance.html&tntemail0=y

> Anyone else shocked he's only 15 pounds over his Tour weight?
>
> I mean, from what I know, he didn't even keep his Tour weight during the
> off-season; 175 would have been a not-unreasonable weight for Lance in
> October.

You people in here...when it comes to issues of weight...you are
obsessed like a bunch of women at a Weight Watcher's convention waiting
in line to get your frozen dinner signed by Kirstie Alley.

Magilla

[email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 3, 1:14 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Very surprising
>> for me to read this, because personally
>> I've mirrored Lance.

> yeah but ... did you get a nut cut off too? date your mom's look-
> alike?

But he DID cut his Mom's look-alikes nut off.

On Oct 3, 10:14 am, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Feld wrote:
> > "The last four months, I've been on a bike four times, all in charity
> > events. But I run daily or go to the gym and go in a kayak or on a
> > stand-up paddleboard. I think I'm in pretty good shape. I'll probably be
> > 5 pounds lighter for the [NY] marathon this year, 175 rather than 180. I
> > rode the Tours at 165."

> ---------------
> Not surprising that he doesn't ride
> anymore. A bike was tool that he used
> in his occupation to make money. Like
> if a Logger retires, he doesn't pick up
> a chainsaw and go to the forest to play
> with in his retirement. Very surprising
> for me to read this, because personally
> I've mirrored Lance. I cycled my ass
> off in the same time period that Lance
> did, and now I rarely ride for fun, only
> commuting. But I am running a lot for a
> marathon I'm going to do in February/
> 08, and for fun I do lots of kayaking,
> just like Lance. Even my weight is
> almost in line with Lance, but I'm at
> 165 now with the running I've been
> doing, but when Lance was doing his
> Tours, I weighed 175.

Another curious coincidence: you and LANCE are both
self-absorbed wankers.

Ben

MagillaGorilla wrote:
> You people in here...when it comes to issues of weight...you are
> obsessed like a bunch of women at a Weight Watcher's convention waiting
> in line to get your frozen dinner signed by Kirstie Alley.

Dumbass,
We prefer having our pizza boxes signed by Michael Moore.

Donald Munro wrote:
> MagillaGorilla wrote:
>> in line to get your frozen dinner signed by Kirstie Alley.

> We prefer having our pizza boxes signed by Michael Moore.

Not Johan Museeuw, who we happened to meet during a training ride?

--
E. Dronkert

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> Not Johan Museeuw, who we happened to meet during a training ride?

The Germans will probably ban you from entering Stuttgart.

Speaking of which:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/oct07/oct04news2

has Ullrich "ended up as one of the last finishers". Seems you've
got a chance to hang Jan's sprinting scalp next to Boogerd if you
take a trip to Germany.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MagillaGorilla wrote:
>> You people in here...when it comes to issues of weight...you are
>> obsessed like a bunch of women at a Weight Watcher's convention waiting
>> in line to get your frozen dinner signed by Kirstie Alley.

> We prefer having our pizza boxes signed by Michael Moore.

I'm absolutely convinced that you certainly do.

On Oct 5, 7:29 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 1:56 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Another curious coincidence: you and LANCE are both
> > self-absorbed wankers.

> Being the hub of a machine that won 7 consecutive TdF's somehow
> doesn't square with "self-absorbed ******".
>
> "Personal" dislike skews perception? --D-y

C'mon Tom, I've defended LANCE against Laff@me's
pathological jealousy many times. I like him as an
athlete. I don't dislike him as a person, either (after all, I've
never met the guy), other than a couplpe of reported
instances of pettiness, big whoop. But by all accounts his
Blackberry and press-clipping mania alone would qualify
him as a self-absorbed ******.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure being a
self-absorbed ****** helps to win the Tour so many times.
It might be a prerequisite. You need a lot of focus on
yourself (Anquetil, Hinault, Lemond, even Merckx - Indurain
was focused but inwardly so, not outwardly egomaniac).
Ullrich may be an easier guy to hang around with
but that's one reason he never won the Tour again.

My point is that our CV shows a similar amount of
self-obsession, almost approaching that of a Masters racer,
but hasn't won the Tour even once yet.

Ben