NYT article on Paris rent-a-bike program

Bob wrote:
> On Oct 22, 10:43 pm, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Bob. Yes, my tax reference was purely local. I'm letting you
>> and B.S. deal with national politics.

Bad antecedent on my part. I meant Jobst and Bill S.

> I really do try to not become involved in political debates here
> because there's simply no talking sensibly to some of the more
> idealogical types. Unfortunately, the spirit is willing but sometimes
> the flesh is weak. <g> Did you do the L.A.T.E. Ride this year? I had
> to take a pass as family commitments required me elsewhere.

Did I do the L.A.T.E. ride? Good question. We had a group of 10 going from
the neighborhood. I'd arranged to loan Kendra's boyfriend a bike. But, when
I counted up bodies and space, I didn't have enough space. So, I rode two
bikes down to my office and locked them in the company's executive parking
lot, which is lit and has several security cameras.

When I got down there Saturday night, both bikes had been stolen. This
didn't bother Kendra's boyfriend (who, as it turned out, had a relatively
new Trek 1000), but left me out. I went up to the office about 1 a.m. and
worked until they finished at 6 a.m. The security people reviewed the
camera tapes, but said they didn't see anything. These were older road
bikes, so I didn't lose a great deal.

On Oct 24, 11:23 am, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> As to the motocrottes, well yes, their effect was probably more
> psychological than real. It seemed to take considerable effort and a
> great deal of noisy engine revving to remove what the caniche had
> deposited in no time at all ...

I always thought the motocrottes were iconic and deserved a spot right
next to the 2CV and DS in the pantheon of weird but ingenious
motorized vehicles. Some guys must've been sitting around a table and
one wondered aloud, "Ah, if only we could devise some system that
could pick up dog **** twice as fast!" Then another guy says, "Wait!
I'm getting an idea..."

Speaking of odd green things, the brooms used by the street sweepers
have plastic bristles shaped to mimic plant fronds.

On 22 oct, 08:37, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> Would Paris welcome me if I'd just shuddup, be amicably
> appreciative, and not leave a mess behind me?

Sounds like the perfect guest. Stop by if you visit. I have
comfortable sofa-beds, live at the end of the Coulée Verte by which
one can cycle straight into Central Paris, go to dancing classes on
Saturday, and can make stir-fried caramelized beef with spring onions
and ginger.

EFR
Ile de France