O/T: Atkins lied?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:26:30 -0500, Carla A-G wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210

You can't stipulate that Atkins 'lied' because there are no constants between the two regimes.

This abstract concerns a diet that is high in complex carbs, low in fat and includes aerobic
exercise. It's hardly shocking news that this leads to weight loss - it's an athlete's diet.

The Atkins diet (in my limited understanding) mixes high fat and protein with low carbs (and no
exercise). It's essentially an unhealthy and lazy way to achieve similar goals through
different methods.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> You can't stipulate that Atkins 'lied' because there are no constants between the two regimes.

I didn't stipulate that he lied. I asked a question, I didn't make a statement of truth.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

bomba wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:26:30 -0500, Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
>
> You can't stipulate that Atkins 'lied' because there are no constants between the two regimes.
>
> This abstract concerns a diet that is high in complex carbs, low in fat and includes aerobic
> exercise. It's hardly shocking news that this leads to weight loss - it's an athlete's diet.
>
> The Atkins diet (in my limited understanding) mixes high fat and protein with low carbs (and no
> exercise). It's essentially an unhealthy and lazy way to achieve similar goals through different
> methods.

just for fun you guys ought to cross post this to alt.support.diet.low-carb. I didn't even know such
a group existed until I got spanked by their self appointed moderator for a cross posted reply back
to their group that had appeared in another ng I post to. They had originated the thread of course.(
low carb GORP...)

Feeling somewhat evil today

Penny

Penny S wrote:
> just for fun you guys ought to cross post this to alt.support.diet.low-carb. I didn't even know
> such a group existed until I got spanked by their self appointed moderator

Got video?!?

Bill "authoritatively" S.

Carla A-G wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> Hmmm...
>>>
>>> http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
>>>

>> What's "ad libitum" mean? Unrestricted or something? Why do they speak a dead language?
>
> "ad libitum", latin for "as much as desired".
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Very good Carla! You hear this a lot from musicians who jam together. Usually, a guitar player doing
a solo of the top of his/her head is said to be "ad-libbing."

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:26:30 -0500, Carla A-G wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
>
> You can't stipulate that Atkins 'lied' because there are no constants between the two regimes.
>
> This abstract concerns a diet that is high in complex carbs, low in fat and includes aerobic
> exercise. It's hardly shocking news that this leads to weight loss - it's an athlete's diet.
>
> The Atkins diet (in my limited understanding) mixes high fat and protein with low carbs (and no
> exercise). It's essentially an unhealthy and lazy way to achieve similar goals through different
> methods.

Uh, no.
--
_________________________

Zilla wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>>"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>What's "ad libitum" mean? Unrestricted or something? Why do they speak a dead language?
>>
>>"ad libitum", latin for "as much as desired".
>>
>>- CA-G
>>
>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>

> Very good Carla! You hear this a lot from musicians who jam together. Usually, a guitar player
> doing a solo of the top of his/her head is said to be "ad-libbing."

Dubya at a press conference too. They should do a split screen when they televise these things. One
camera at W and one at Karl Rove cringing in the corner ;-)

As for the diet thing, the February issue of Discover magazine has a good article about diet based
on real science for a teaser see: http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-04/features/science-diet/
Chairman of the department of Nutrition a the Harvard School of Public Health, Walter Willett wrote
a book "Eat Drink and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating" based on the
research. The Discover article includes a comparison of the Harvard, Ornish (vegetarian) and
Atkin's diets. All three look to limit blood glucose spikes, but the Harvard diet sounds (IMO) like
a more sensible long term diet. For me, I'm working on the "No Corn" diet, not particularly of my
own choosing. This last year I realized I'm allergic to corn. I don't get a rash or asthma, lets
just say its more GI related. Corn chips, corn on the cob, popcorn. Obvious right? Add hominy,
pollenta, most breakfast cereals and baked goods, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup (no more
Power Bars or Coke), corn starch, modified food starch (they don't tell you if its wheat, potato,
or corn starch on most labels) dextrin and dextrose-both derived from corn, and caramel coloring
also from corn. A lot of high calorie processed foods are made with corn products. No more cooking
from a can. Gotta watch it at restaurants too. I even had to change my chocolate chip cookie recipe
since baking powder has corn starch as the first ingredient. Still lots of junk I can eat, but its
harder now. Its just easier to grab a few carrots or a V8. Probably wouldn't be a popular diet in
Nebraska or Iowa.

Cheers, Shawn

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:18:10 GMT, Shawn Curry wrote:

> As for the diet thing, the February issue of Discover magazine has a good article about diet based
> on real science for a teaser see: http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-04/features/science-diet/

Wow, what a teaser! It doesn't give you anything but a description of the article unless you're a
subscriber. Oh, well. Dude's a Harvard prof, so there's a bit more info at
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/facres/wlltt.html.

He re-did the food pyramid to separate out the different types of fats & carbs, which makes a lot of
sense to me based on everything I've read over the past couple of years.

Also, the bottom tier (the largest on the pyramid) is now "daily exercise and weight control".
That's often the part that people leave out of dieting, since most exercise routines are dull and
onerous. Some books are finally starting to emphasize activities that are FUN (like mountain
biking!) so people will keep at it.

How's THAT for bringing this thread on-topic? :)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:39:21 -0400, Chris Phillipo wrote:

> I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after the
> trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.

Long-term analysis is the downfall of most diets. I'd really like to see the long-term impact of a
high-protein/high-fat diet, given the known links between these things and arteriosclerosis,
osteoporosis, liver problems, etc.

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:39:21 -0400, Chris Phillipo wrote:
>
> > I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after
> > the trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.
>
> Long-term analysis is the downfall of most diets. I'd really like to see the long-term impact of a
> high-protein/high-fat diet, given the known links between these things and arteriosclerosis,
> osteoporosis, liver problems, etc.

All I know is I went from 236lbs to 169 lbs in 6 months on a low carb (read LOW CARB, not HIGH FAT)
diet and 3 years later my highest weight has been 178 lbs. which was after this christmas, and as
soon as the chocolate ran out the weight came off again :) I'm at 174 now which is the best I can do
in the winter months, I will be 169 again once I get back to regular riding. And the only time I
really restricted carbs to 20-30g a day was during those initial 6 months, I haven't done that
since. I simply don't buy the regular pop, cereal or the loaf of bread, I stick to meat, cheese,
eggs and green vegetables and diet pop/Crystal Lite/Sugar free kool-aid and that does it for me.

--
_________________________

Chris Phillipo wrote:

>>Hmmm...
>>
>>http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
>>
>>- CA-G
>>
>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>

> I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after the
> trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.

Quacks? Why does doing good peer reviewed research on diet make them quacks? Anyway, the "Quacks"
would know that the subjects were no longer on a high carb, low fat diet. Yes if they pile fat cals
onto what they're already eating, they'll gain the weight back. I didn't see in the abstract if "High-
Carb" meant glucose syrup and white bread, or whole grains and beans. Big difference WRT blood
glucose/insulin production/satiating hunger.

Shawn

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Chris Phillipo wrote:
> >
> >>Hmmm...
> >>
> >>http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
> >>
> >>- CA-G
> >>
> >>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >>

> > I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after
> > the trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.
>
> Quacks? Why does doing good peer reviewed research on diet make them quacks? Anyway, the "Quacks"
> would know that the subjects were no

Having peers that already agreed with you before you did the study then review your information and
confirm your beliefs once again is not exactly ground breaking science.
--

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I simply don't buy the regular pop, cereal or the loaf of bread, I stick to meat, cheese, eggs and
> green vegetables and diet pop/Crystal Lite/Sugar free kool-aid and that does it for me.

Most diet sodas contain asparatame. Read up on the subject and see how it affects your health.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!