O/T: Atkins lied?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I simply don't buy the regular pop, cereal or the loaf of bread, I stick to meat, cheese, eggs
    > > and green vegetables and diet pop/Crystal Lite/Sugar free kool-aid and that does it for me.
    >
    > Most diet sodas contain asparatame. Read up on the subject and see how it affects your health.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I have and it doens't.

    --
    _________________________

  2. This is the sort of thing you are up against when you market a product or diet that threatens to to
    take 10s of billions of dollars out of Big Sugar's pockets. It's a much bigger and better
    politically represented special interest than tobacco was even in it's hay day.

    http://forums.transnationale.org/viewtopic.php?p=2937

    --
    _________________________

  3. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

    Eat less and exercise more. Okay so that didn't work, for me. I tried the Atkins and my cholesterol
    went from 131 to 200+ in 3 weeks, that was a "bad thing"

    But the South Beach diet seems to be doing it for me.... I started at 247 the week before
    Thanksgiving (waist size of 42) As of last Friday, I was 216 and 38" waist.

    Myself and one of the Judges I'm pals with, are on it together. Whoever looses the most (percentage
    of staring weight) get a free lunch at the Chinese Buffet from the other. The only thing that sucks
    is NO BEER!!!

    --
    John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
    http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

  4. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >>>I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after
    >>>the trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.
    >>
    >>Quacks? Why does doing good peer reviewed research on diet make them quacks? Anyway, the "Quacks"
    >>would know that the subjects were no
    >

    > Having peers that already agreed with you before you did the study then review your information
    > and confirm your beliefs once again is not exactly ground breaking science.

    So you're saying their data and its interpretation is fraudulent? Great. And computers work by
    little elves magicing messages back and forth through telepathy. May as well, for all the respect
    you have for how modern science is done.

    Shawn

  5. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    MPD Blue wrote:
    > Eat less and exercise more. Okay so that didn't work, for me. I tried the Atkins and my
    > cholesterol went from 131 to 200+ in 3 weeks, that was a "bad thing"
    >
    > But the South Beach diet seems to be doing it for me.... I started at 247 the week before
    > Thanksgiving (waist size of 42) As of last Friday, I was 216 and 38" waist.
    >
    > Myself and one of the Judges I'm pals with, are on it together. Whoever looses the most
    > (percentage of staring weight) get a free lunch at the Chinese Buffet from the other. The only
    > thing that sucks is NO BEER!!!

    The problem with this diet is that you will forever have to stay on it. Everybody I know that has
    done either the Atkins or SB lost a lot of weight and then immediately gained it back when the
    strayed from the diet.

    Good on you for losing what you have just be wary of going back to the good stuff.

    Gary

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:22:49 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

    > The problem with this diet is that you will forever have to stay on it.

    Shouldn't that be the point of ANY diet? Taking it off in a short time means nothing. Life is a
    marathon, not a sprint.

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:22:49 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

    > The problem with this diet is that you will forever have to stay on it.

    try this again:

    SHOULDN'T THAT be the point of any diet? If you take it off in a short time but put it back on,
    that's just a lot of wasted effort. Life's a marathon, not a sprint.

  8. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >The Atkins diet (in my limited understanding) mixes high fat and protein with low carbs (and no
    >exercise). It's essentially an unhealthy and lazy way to achieve similar goals through
    >different methods.

    Guy I worked with lost about 35 pounds on Atkins.

    That was two years ago.

    Now he's put it all back on again - plus about five more.

    I'm putting my money on Ornish. Still trying to sell the whole nine yards to my Better Half, but
    we're well on the way.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  9. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > Carla A-G wrote:
    >
    >>Hmmm...
    >>
    >>http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
    >>
    >>- CA-G
    >>
    >>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >

    > I knew this all along. I have 1.x billion Chinese, who eat rice 3x a day, 7 days a week, as proof
    > that carbs don't necessarily make one gain weight!

    Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical but if
    in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.

    Greg

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Shawn Curry wrote:
    > Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >>
    >>> Hmmm...
    >>>
    >>> http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
    >>>
    >>> - CA-G
    >>>
    >>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >>>

    >> I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after
    >> the trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.
    >

    > Quacks? Why does doing good peer reviewed research on diet make them quacks? Anyway, the "Quacks"
    > would know that the subjects were no longer on a high carb, low fat diet. Yes if they pile fat
    > cals onto what they're already eating, they'll gain the weight back. I didn't see in the abstract
    > if "High-Carb" meant glucose syrup and white bread, or whole grains and beans. Big difference WRT
    > blood glucose/insulin production/satiating hunger.

    Precisely. I can live on beans, those around me wouldn't like it, and easily lose weight.

    Greg

  11. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    > spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical but
    > if in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.
    >
    > Greg

    Die white bread.... die!!!
    --
    Slacker

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    > spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical but
    > if in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.
    >
    > Greg

    Die white bread.... die!!!
    --
    Slacker

  13. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > Zilla wrote:
    >> Carla A-G wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hmmm...
    >>>
    >>>http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/2/210
    >>>
    >>>- CA-G
    >>>
    >>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >>

    >> I knew this all along. I have 1.x billion Chinese, who eat rice 3x a day, 7 days a week, as proof
    >> that carbs don't necessarily make one gain weight!
    >>

    > Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    > spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical but
    > if in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.
    >
    > Greg

    here, here! I'll be right damned pissed of about it, as a matter of fact!

    Dave

  14. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:

    >>On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:39:21 -0400, Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >>

    >>>I really wish these quacks would monitor the effects of the low fat hi carb diet a month after
    >>>the trial is over and the people stop eating low fat.
    >>
    >>Long-term analysis is the downfall of most diets. I'd really like to see the long-term impact of a
    >>high-protein/high-fat diet, given the known links between these things and arteriosclerosis,
    >>osteoporosis, liver problems, etc.
    >>

    > All I know is I went from 236lbs to 169 lbs in 6 months on a low carb (read LOW CARB, not HIGH
    > FAT) diet and 3 years later my highest weight has been 178 lbs. which was after this christmas,
    > and as soon as the chocolate ran out the weight came off again :) I'm at 174 now which is the
    > best I can do in the winter months, I will be 169 again once I get back to regular riding. And
    > the only time I really restricted carbs to 20-30g a day was during those initial 6 months, I
    > haven't done that since. I simply don't buy the regular pop, cereal or the loaf of bread, I stick
    > to meat, cheese, eggs and green vegetables and diet pop/Crystal Lite/Sugar free kool-aid and that
    > does it for me.

    I'll bet if you ate more high carb vegetables that are low-glycemic you'd do fine, too.

    Greg

  15. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected] 191655.news.uni-berlin.de

    >> Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    >> spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical but
    >> if in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >

    > Die white bread.... die!!!
    > --
    > Slacker

    not if I can help it!!

  16. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Dave W wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected] 191655.news.uni-
    > berlin.de
    >
    >>> Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    >>> spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical
    >>> but if in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.
    >>>
    >>> Greg
    >>

    >> Die white bread.... die!!!
    >> --
    >> Slacker
    >
    > not if I can help it!!

    Rage against the machine if you must, but soon you and GT will be woofing down naked wieners
    and burgers!
    --
    Slacker

  17. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

    BB wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:22:49 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:
    >

    >>The problem with this diet is that you will forever have to stay on it.
    >

    > Shouldn't that be the point of ANY diet?

    Indeed!

    --
    John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
    http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

  18. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Slacker wrote:

    >>Yeah, as usual the bulk of the American public is willing to be led astray by whoever's on TV
    >>spouting the latest diet fad. They'd rather let others think for them. Right now it's comical but
    >>if in 2 years I can't find a hamburger that includes a bun it's going to be very annoying.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >

    > Die white bread.... die!!!
    > --
    > Slacker

    Hey now, lets not bring race into it.

  19. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > Dave W wrote:
    >
    >>"Slacker" <[email protected]> had this to say news:[email protected] 191655.news.uni-
    >>berlin.de

    >>>Die white bread.... die!!!
    >>>--
    >>>Slacker
    >>
    >>not if I can help it!!
    >

    > Rage against the machine if you must, but soon you and GT will be woofing down naked wieners and
    > burgers!

    I don't do naked wieners, dude.

    Greg