O.T. M.R. Touching the Void

Paul Macintyre

Guest
An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters, moral
dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.

Paul

Paul macintyre wrote:
> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters, moral
> dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>
> Paul

Man, I really want to see this movie.
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> Paul macintyre wrote:
>
>>An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters, moral
>>dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>>
>>Paul
>

> Man, I really want to see this movie.
> --
> Slacker

Not out on video yet.

Slacker retorted :
> Paul macintyre wrote:
>> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters, moral
>> dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>>
>> Paul
>

> Man, I really want to see this movie.

it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to the
usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The guy who
it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of those....)

penny

----------
In article <[email protected]>, "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Slacker retorted :
>> Paul macintyre wrote:
>>> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters,
>>> moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>

>> Man, I really want to see this movie.
>
> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
> those....)
>
> penny

Penny,

The two climbers that were involved are interviewed in the film, the climbing scenes are reenacted
by actors. This is not a flashy action film but the story is compelling none the less. The Andes are
spectacular. As a skier you'll appreciate the scenes of fluted spires and cornices of powder snow
hanging off the mountain (evidently a condition unique to the Andes).

Paul

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:20:14 GMT, "Paul macintyre"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>----------
>In article <[email protected]>, "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Slacker retorted :

>>> Man, I really want to see this movie.
>>
>> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
>> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
>> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
>> those....)
>>
>> penny
>>

>Penny,
>
>The two climbers that were involved are interviewed in the film, the climbing scenes are reenacted
>by actors. This is not a flashy action film but the story is compelling none the less. The Andes
>are spectacular. As a skier you'll appreciate the scenes of fluted spires and cornices of powder
>snow hanging off the mountain (evidently a condition unique to the Andes).
>
>Paul
Saw this before Xmas, the initial scenes of climbing up through on the ice walls and through the
snow flutes gave me vertigo! It is a truly stunning film, not just the scenery, but also the
absolutely matter of fact narration by Joe and Simon, coupled with the knowledge of what they both
endured in their survival. The best true life film I've seen

Martin

Paul macintyre retorted :
> ----------
> In article <[email protected]>, "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Slacker retorted :

>>> Man, I really want to see this movie.
>>
>> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
>> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
>> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
>> those....)
>>
>> penny
>>

> Penny,
>
> The two climbers that were involved are interviewed in the film, the climbing scenes are reenacted
> by actors. This is not a flashy action film but the story is compelling none the less. The Andes
> are spectacular. As a skier you'll appreciate the scenes of fluted spires and cornices of powder
> snow hanging off the mountain (evidently a condition unique to the Andes).
>
> Paul

I know, I've read about it. I'm so sick off Hollywood climbing films that invoved ridiculous action
sequences, cocaine, rocket launchers and other sillliness.

p.

Penny S wrote:
> Slacker retorted :
>> Paul macintyre wrote:
>>> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters,
>>> moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>

>> Man, I really want to see this movie.
>
> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
> those....)
>
> penny

Isn't there also a movie/documentary about Everest climb when several climbers died on?

I don't know why, but I dig climbing movies. Maybe my fear of heights has something to do with it?
--
Slacker

Slacker retorted :
> Penny S wrote:
>> Slacker retorted :

>>> Man, I really want to see this movie.
>>
>> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
>> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
>> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
>> those....)
>>
>> penny
>

> Isn't there also a movie/documentary about Everest climb when several climbers died on?
>
> I don't know why, but I dig climbing movies. Maybe my fear of heights has something to do with it?

Hollyweird has never made a very good one. Maybe they are good action flicks, but if you have any
real knowledge of what's involved, they are only good for comic relief. The Imax on Everest was
pretty decent, as is anything by NOVA, but jeez, that Vertical Limit was the worst sort of comedy as
was that Cliffhanger w/Stallone in it.

penny

> Slacker retorted :
>
>> Isn't there also a movie/documentary about Everest climb when several climbers died on?
>>
>> I don't know why, but I dig climbing movies. Maybe my fear of heights has something to do
>> with it?
>
> Hollyweird has never made a very good one. Maybe they are good action flicks, but if you have any
> real knowledge of what's involved, they are only good for comic relief. The Imax on Everest was
> pretty decent, as is anything by NOVA, but jeez, that Vertical Limit was the worst sort of comedy
> as was that Cliffhanger w/Stallone in it.
>
> penny

That's the one I was thinking of, the Imax flick.

Imax on Everest... is this the title of it?
--
Slacker

"Paul macintyre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has
it
> all- disasters, moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>
> Paul

Joe Simpson? Helluva guy, brilliant climber. I've been told I ought to read his book by the
same name.

Shaun aRe

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Slacker retorted :
> > Paul macintyre wrote:
> >> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters,
> >> moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >

> > Man, I really want to see this movie.
>
> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
> those....)
>
> penny

That'l be Simpson, Brown must be in his 70's at least by now, but big in the 1950's and 60's

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:52:00 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer"
<[email protected]> blathered:

>> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has
>it
>> all- disasters, moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>
>Joe Simpson? Helluva guy, brilliant climber. I've been told I ought to read his book by the
>same name.

You should. I went to see the film here at the local cinema last night
- very good, whether one is a climber or not. I should've gone Sunday because Simon Yates (The Guy
Who Cut The Rope, and who lives just down the road) gave a talk before the screening.

It has to be said Yates came across (in the 'talking head' bits) as being pretty nonchalant about
the whole episode. Inevitable, I suppose, when you've been telling the same story for the best part
of 20 years. However, I imagine it doesn't look too good to people not familiar with the
incident/book.

Still reckon it would've been more exciting if they'd been carrying cannisters of TNT in their
rucsacs, mind...

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:52:00 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> blathered:
>
> >> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick
has
> >it
> >> all- disasters, moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
> >
> >Joe Simpson? Helluva guy, brilliant climber. I've been told I ought to
read
> >his book by the same name.
>
> You should. I went to see the film here at the local cinema last night
> - very good, whether one is a climber or not. I should've gone Sunday because Simon Yates (The Guy
> Who Cut The Rope, and who lives just down the road) gave a talk before the screening.
>
> It has to be said Yates came across (in the 'talking head' bits) as being pretty nonchalant about
> the whole episode. Inevitable, I suppose, when you've been telling the same story for the best
> part of 20 years. However, I imagine it doesn't look too good to people not familiar with the
> incident/book.
>
> Still reckon it would've been more exciting if they'd been carrying cannisters of TNT in their
> rucsacs, mind...
>
> Pete

Lol, and don't forget IT REACTS TO THE LIGHT QUICK JUMP OVER THERE IN THE SHADE even though you've
been walking around for half a day the next 3 seconds are critical...

Steve.

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Slacker retorted :
> >
> >> Isn't there also a movie/documentary about Everest climb when several climbers died on?
> >>
> >> I don't know why, but I dig climbing movies. Maybe my fear of heights has something to do
> >> with it?
> >
> > Hollyweird has never made a very good one. Maybe they are good action flicks, but if you have
> > any real knowledge of what's involved, they are only good for comic relief. The Imax on Everest
> > was pretty decent, as is anything by NOVA, but jeez, that Vertical Limit was the worst sort of
> > comedy as was that Cliffhanger w/Stallone in it.
> >
> > penny
>

> That's the one I was thinking of, the Imax flick.
>
> Imax on Everest... is this the title of it?

I'm not sure, but the book 'Into Thin Air' by Krakauer is an amazing account of the climb. I saw
parts of the IMAX movie and overall it wasn't nearly as interesting. /s

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Still reckon it would've been more exciting if they'd been carrying cannisters of TNT in their
> rucsacs, mind...

Not a problem, unless they had blasting caps in the same rucks.

JDemolitions

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Slacker retorted :
> > Paul macintyre wrote:
> >> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has it all- disasters,
> >> moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >

> > Man, I really want to see this movie.
>
> it's supposed to be a truly realistic depiction of a climb gone wrong. Especially as compared to
> the usual Hollywood climbing movie which has my family in hysterics in the first 20 minutes. The
> guy who it's about went back to consult on the filming of it. (Joe Simpson? Joe Brown? one of
> those....)
>
> penny

'The Eiger Sanction' ain't great, but it's watchable. There are some major plot clunks, along with
some nice quiet climbing scenes. /s

----------
In article <[email protected]>, Pete Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:52:00 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> blathered:
>
>>> An absolutely harrowing account of survival in the Andes. This flick has
>>it
>>> all- disasters, moral dilemmas, perseverance and the will to live. Climbers are crazy.
>>
>>Joe Simpson? Helluva guy, brilliant climber. I've been told I ought to read his book by the
>>same name.
>
> You should. I went to see the film here at the local cinema last night
> - very good, whether one is a climber or not. I should've gone Sunday because Simon Yates (The Guy
> Who Cut The Rope, and who lives just down the road) gave a talk before the screening.
>
> It has to be said Yates came across (in the 'talking head' bits) as being pretty nonchalant about
> the whole episode. Inevitable, I suppose, when you've been telling the same story for the best
> part of 20 years. However, I imagine it doesn't look too good to people not familiar with the
> incident/book.

My impression from the film was that Simon was still haunted by what he had to do. I'm not a climber
but I don't see that he had any options but to cut the rope or die.

Paul

"Paul macintyre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ----------
> In article <[email protected]>, Pete Jones
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:52:00 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >>it
> >>
> >>Joe Simpson? Helluva guy, brilliant climber. I've been told I ought to
read
> >>his book by the same name.
> >
> > You should. I went to see the film here at the local cinema last night
> > - very good, whether one is a climber or not. I should've gone Sunday because Simon Yates (The
> > Guy Who Cut The Rope, and who lives just down the road) gave a talk before the screening.

Ah, now that'd be interesting.

> > It has to be said Yates came across (in the 'talking head' bits) as being pretty nonchalant
> > about the whole episode. Inevitable, I suppose, when you've been telling the same story for the
> > best part of 20 years. However, I imagine it doesn't look too good to people not familiar with
> > the incident/book.
>
> My impression from the film was that Simon was still haunted by what he
had
> to do. I'm not a climber but I don't see that he had any options but to
cut
> the rope or die.
>
> Paul

Yup, a tough as all hell decision to have to take, but yeah, he took the right one.

Shaun aRe

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:16:49 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer"
<[email protected]> blathered:

>> My impression from the film was that Simon was still haunted by what he
>had
>> to do. I'm not a climber but I don't see that he had any options but to
>cut
>> the rope or die.

>Yup, a tough as all hell decision to have to take, but yeah, he took the right one.

Absolutely, no criticism from me. I always make people I go climbing/cycling aware with that I'll
cheerfully leave them to die should the situation demand it.