O.T. Outlook Question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    affects NGs via OE.

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    > this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    > affects NGs via OE.

    Joshua, this is a known bug with Outlook Express. You'll need to uninstall/reinstall it to correct
    the problem. OE has become corrupted, and that's why it's crashing.

    Personally, I hate Windows XP. It's the most bug-ridden P.O.S. that I've ever used. I can't believe
    how many application crashes I've had since I started using Windows XP SP1 on my 2 month old Dell
    Dimension 4550. I'm starting to wonder if these myriad Security Updates and other patches are
    actually corrupting my OS. Sure seems like it.

    HTH

    Barry

  3. Joshua, good to see you are still around. I use Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2002 and I have NO Problem
    getting to the recumbo newsgroup. Of course Comcast is about to come in and replace AT&T soon, so we
    will see, if there are any migration problems. If you are still having issues you might want to use
    Google, until your problems are solved. It takes time for your posts to arrive, but it's free to
    use. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    > I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    > this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    > affects NGs via OE.

  4. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in news:wBUEa.2740
    [email protected]:

    > I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    > this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    > affects NGs via OE.

    I use Xnews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/) and it does a great job. And it's free.

    -Bill Hamilton

  5. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    hmmm....my daughter's 6 month old Compaq Prseario runs flawlessly on
    XP...wonder if it might be a hw issue, or hw/os integration issue...by the way, i used to love to
    watch you run the ball, it's a shame you never had a team around you...

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    > > this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    affects
    > > NGs via OE.
    >
    > Joshua, this is a known bug with Outlook Express. You'll need to uninstall/reinstall it to correct
    > the problem. OE has become corrupted,
    and
    > that's why it's crashing.
    >
    > Personally, I hate Windows XP. It's the most bug-ridden P.O.S. that I've ever used. I can't
    > believe how many application crashes I've had since I started using Windows XP SP1 on my 2 month
    > old Dell Dimension 4550. I'm starting to wonder if these myriad Security Updates and other patches
    > are actually corrupting my OS. Sure seems like it.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Barry

  6. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Personally, I hate Windows XP. It's the most bug-ridden P.O.S. that I've ever used. I can't
    > believe how many application crashes I've had since I started using Windows XP SP1 on my 2 month
    > old Dell Dimension 4550. I'm starting to wonder if these myriad Security Updates and other patches
    > are actually corrupting my OS. Sure seems like it.

    Actually, XP is probabaly the most stable OS that M$ has put out. You don't specify which XP you are
    running, XP Professional has been running on several of my machines (3 of which are Dell) with no
    problems since the OS was released in beta. I have not seen anything of an issue with my wife's Vaio
    notebook running XP Personal either.

    You problems are likely caused by poorly written device drivers or drivers written for a previous
    version of Windows. You also may have device interrupt conflicts. Device driveres are not controlled
    by M$ even though they may have been included with the OS install. Check with the device
    Manufacturer to ss if you can get the lates device driver for your hardware. This includes mice,
    modems, NICs as well as those for printers, scanners, cameras etc and those furnished by Dell.

    Cletus D. Lee (Minister of Technology) Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Joshua, I don't even use the newsgroups at all, just go to www.cyclingforums.com in internet explorer. Much easier to read the posts and reply.

    ;)

  8. XP Pro is virtually bombproof. I was once a DOS wizard and I subsequently worked my way up from 3.1
    to XP, making every stop on the way. XP is simply GREAT. Seems to me your system has a problem. For
    a start, I'd reformat the hdd and install XP Pro clean ... if I were you.

    --
    says...

  9. On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 01:06:38 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    >this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    >affects NGs via OE.

    If it's just the newsreader function you're having problems with, why not get a real newsreader? I
    recommend Free Agent from Forte':

    http://www.forteinc.com/

    There are other good programs too, check out some shareware web sites.

  10. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    says...

    > > Personally, I hate Windows XP. It's the most bug-ridden P.O.S. that
    I've
    > > ever used. I can't believe how many application crashes I've had since
    > > started using Windows XP SP1 on my 2 month old Dell Dimension 4550. I'm starting to wonder if
    > > these myriad Security Updates and other patches
    are
    > > actually corrupting my OS. Sure seems like it.
    >
    > Actually, XP is probabaly the most stable OS that M$ has put out. You
    don't specify which XP
    > you are running, XP Professional has been running on several of my
    machines (3 of which are
    > Dell) with no problems since the OS was released in beta. I have not seen
    anything of an issue
    > with my wife's Vaio notebook running XP Personal either.

    My Mom's Compaq has been running Windows 98 for 3 solid years without a single crash. Know why? She
    never does anything to tax it beyond opening and closing a browser. I'm a hardcore Windows power
    user - if there is a flaw, I'll find it. Windows 2000 Pro was/is the best OS I've ever used. XP is
    not nearly as stable, from what I've seen. I'm not alone in this viewpoint. Many IT managers won't
    touch XP with a 10 foot pole. Device driver problems are only the beginning.

    > You problems are likely caused by poorly written device drivers or drivers
    written for a
    > previous version of Windows. You also may have device interrupt conflicts. Device driveres are not
    > controlled by M$ even though they may have been included with the OS
    install. Check with
    > the device Manufacturer to ss if you can get the lates device driver for
    your hardware. This
    > includes mice, modems, NICs as well as those for printers, scanners,
    cameras etc and those
    > furnished by Dell.

    All hardware is stock from Dell, with Dell-provided Windows XP compatible drivers. The software that
    crashes most often is from Microsoft. I've installed all available updates and even flashed the
    DVD+RW's EPROM to latest firmware (which helped a LOT!)

    M$ provides updated drivers for many common devices through the Windows Update service. I use that
    service, and have installed every patch and every driver update. I'm still having problems. Windows
    XP Home doesn't crash; but individual applications do, and quite often. This happens on both of my
    Windows XP Home equipped computers - a Dell 4550 and a Toshiba laptop. Both are bone-stock, and came
    with XP pre-loaded.

    Thanks for the suggestions, Cletus. I appreciate it.

    Barry

  11. You are right, device drivers can be a problem with XP ... I forgot that. So far, I've been able to
    solve the very few (with printers) that I ran into without help from MS or the peripheral company. I
    am even running my 12 year old DOS address book program flawlessly (no mouse, of course) full screen
    on XP including printing the book on a fairly new HP laser printer.

    2000 seemed to me to be very similar to XP but without the new XP interface bells and whistles. I
    have had virtually no problems with either opsys,

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > says...
    > > >
    > > > Personally, I hate Windows XP. It's the most bug-ridden P.O.S. that
    > I've
    > > > ever used. I can't believe how many application crashes I've had
    since
    > > > started using Windows XP SP1 on my 2 month old Dell Dimension 4550.
    I'm
    > > > starting to wonder if these myriad Security Updates and other patches
    > are
    > > > actually corrupting my OS. Sure seems like it.
    > >
    > > Actually, XP is probabaly the most stable OS that M$ has put out. You
    > don't specify which XP
    > > you are running, XP Professional has been running on several of my
    > machines (3 of which are
    > > Dell) with no problems since the OS was released in beta. I have not
    seen
    > anything of an issue
    > > with my wife's Vaio notebook running XP Personal either.
    >
    > My Mom's Compaq has been running Windows 98 for 3 solid years without a single crash. Know why?
    > She never does anything to tax it beyond opening and closing a browser. I'm a hardcore Windows
    > power user - if there is a flaw, I'll find it. Windows 2000 Pro was/is the best OS I've ever used.
    XP
    > is not nearly as stable, from what I've seen. I'm not alone in this viewpoint. Many IT managers
    > won't touch XP with a 10 foot pole. Device driver problems are only the beginning.
    >
    > > You problems are likely caused by poorly written device drivers or
    drivers
    > written for a
    > > previous version of Windows. You also may have device interrupt conflicts. Device driveres are
    > > not controlled by M$ even though they may have been included with the OS
    > install. Check with
    > > the device Manufacturer to ss if you can get the lates device driver for
    > your hardware. This
    > > includes mice, modems, NICs as well as those for printers, scanners,
    > cameras etc and those
    > > furnished by Dell.
    >
    > All hardware is stock from Dell, with Dell-provided Windows XP compatible drivers. The software
    > that crashes most often is from Microsoft. I've installed all available updates and even flashed
    > the DVD+RW's EPROM to latest firmware (which helped a LOT!)
    >
    > M$ provides updated drivers for many common devices through the Windows Update service. I use that
    > service, and have installed every patch and every driver update. I'm still having problems.
    > Windows XP Home doesn't crash; but individual applications do, and quite often. This happens on
    > both of my Windows XP Home equipped computers - a Dell 4550 and a Toshiba laptop. Both are
    > bone-stock, and came with XP pre-loaded.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions, Cletus. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Barry

  12. Thanx....(I think) I subscribed a few minutes ago, now to learn how to use it!
    -------------------
    "Bill Hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in news:wBUEa.2740
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    > > this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    affects
    > > NGs via OE.
    >
    > I use Xnews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/) and it does a great job. And it's free.
    >

    > -Bill Hamilton

  13. I'm back Tried to access cycling forums and got a You are Forbidden access message. I'll try later
    on, but thanx.
    -------------------------
    "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and
    was
    > > curious if I can access this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost
    > > the connection again...only affects NGs via OE.
    >

    > Joshua, I don't even use the newsgroups at all, just go to www.cyclingforums.com in internet
    > explorer. Much easier to read the posts and reply.
    >
    > ;)
    >

    > --
    > G19 and a V-Rex

  14. I migrated from Win 2000 NT to XP professional on my Dell laptop and have had no problems. I
    originally tried XP home and it was an absolute TURTLE, so then I replaced it with Win XP
    Professional and have yet to have any crashes or problems. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti
    and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 01:06:38 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    > >this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    > >affects NGs via OE.

  15. Joshua

    Joshua Guest

    Seems my ISP has lost their News Server and said because ONLY a few customers still use
    Newsgroups....why don't I use something like Free Agent 1.93. So this is my 1st try with Free Agent.
    This is one mega learning curve and after years with O.E., Free Agent feels very odd indeed.

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 04:45:51 GMT, "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I migrated from Win 2000 NT to XP professional on my Dell laptop and have had no problems. I
    >originally tried XP home and it was an absolute TURTLE, so then I replaced it with Win XP
    >Professional and have yet to have any crashes or problems. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti
    >and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
    >

    >"Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 01:06:38 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am having a gaggle of problems with Outlook Express going down and was curious if I can access
    >> >this NG via XP Pro "Outlook"? If I don't reply it is because I lost the connection again...only
    >> >affects NGs via OE.

  16. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:42:47 GMT, "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Joshua, good to see you are still around. I use Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2002 and I have NO Problem
    >getting to the recumbo newsgroup. Of course Comcast is about to come in and replace AT&T soon, so
    >we will see, if there are any migration problems.

    Outlook 2002 has a newsgroup capability? I had problems with Outlook Express crashing, and it would
    frequently hiccup when downloading headers, so I switched back to Pro Agent. The only problem is
    that you can't have multiple accounts on it, and I use two different usenet servers. I use Verizon
    for the proprietary Verizon groups, and the Free University of Berlin for everything else. And I'm
    not crazy about the confusing array of buttons on Agent either. But at least it doesn't crash. Oh
    yeah, the spell checker on Agent is REALLY DUMB.

  17. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:46:35 -0400, Joshua <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Seems my ISP has lost their News Server and said because ONLY a few customers still use
    >Newsgroups....why don't I use something like Free Agent 1.93. So this is my 1st try with Free
    >Agent. This is one mega learning curve and after years with O.E., Free Agent feels very odd indeed.

    I use the Pro version of Agent, but I don't really like it that much. It's not as buggy as OE
    though. I don't quite understand what the newsreader program has to do with your ISP not having a
    News Server. If they don't have a News Server changing your newsreader won't help much. There's a
    free News Server at the University of Berlin. It's limited to text, but that's all I want anyway.