O/T: tiny urls...

Rudyard Shackleton

Guest
Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this
group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft webshite. They are
very useful for concatenting a twenty line url and I would love to know how
to do this.
Thanks,
RS

"Rudyard Shackleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this
> group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft webshite. They are
> very useful for concatenting a twenty line url and I would love to know
> how to do this.
> Thanks,
> RS

visit www.tinyurl.com

Cheers, helen s

Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this
> group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft webshite. They are
> very useful for concatenting a twenty line url and I would love to know how
> to do this.

Get the long URL on your clipboad. Then go to qurl.net. The rest should
be self-explanatory.

What does the MS site have to do with this?!

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

On 2005-09-13 12:30 +0000, Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this
> group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft webshite. They are
> very useful for concatenting a twenty line url and I would love to know how
> to do this.

To http://tinyurl.com/ or http://snipurl.com/ or something on
http://notlong.com/links/ with you, cut and paste, and copy the
resulting short thing.

--
Andrew Chadwick

Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this
> group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft webshite.

Go to http://tinyurl.com, follow instructions, Robert's your parent's
male sibling.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Rudyard Shackleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this
> group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft webshite. They are
> very useful for concatenting a twenty line url and I would love to know
> how to do this.
> Thanks,
> RS

tinyurl.com (no www) and follow the instructions

HTH

Many thanks for the replies guys. I thought it might be a Microsoft
extension to http, hence me looking at the MS website.

Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
> Many thanks for the replies guys. I thought it might be a Microsoft
> extension to http, hence me looking at the MS website.

Most people here wouldn't touch it with a bargepole if it were.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

wafflycat wrote:
> "Rudyard Shackleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them
> > in this group but cannot find how to do them on the Microsoft
> > webshite. They are very useful for concatenting a twenty line
> > url and I would love to know how to do this.

> visit www.tinyurl.com

Some time ago you posted a link to the tremendously useful
<http://www.hugeurl.com> which did the opposite thing. Sadly that seems
to be down now, but there is a site <http://hugeurl.wiggy.net/> that
makes not actually huge but more interesting links from boring ones.

--
Dave...

Mark Tranchant wrote:
> What does the MS site have to do with this?!

More to the point, what does any of this have to do with cycling?

(Yes, I know he put OT in the subject line, but I do wonder why he
thinks a bunch of cyclists should be particularly well suited to answer
his question? That said, any fule kno that the answer is tinyurl.com -
the clue is in the question, as it were.)

d.

davek wrote:
> Mark Tranchant wrote:
> > What does the MS site have to do with this?!

> More to the point, what does any of this have to do with cycling?
>
> (Yes, I know he put OT in the subject line, but I do wonder why he
> thinks a bunch of cyclists should be particularly well suited to
> answer his question

He probably thought it easiest to ask in a group where he'd seen a
number of people already using it. He's just asking "How did you do
that?" With OT in the subject line I think that's reasonable.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> He probably thought it easiest to ask in a group where he'd seen a
> number of people already using it.

Fair enough - that does indeed sound like a vary plausible reason why
he would ask a bunch of cyclists about tiny urls...

(For the record, I don't have a problem with off-topic posts.)

d.

davek wrote:

> More to the point, what does any of this have to do with cycling?

TinyURL was invented by a unicyclist, IIRC.

~PB

Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this

Am I the only person that hates these things? I feel much, much happier
knowing where a link is going to take me.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

In message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
<[email protected]> writes
>Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
>> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this

>Am I the only person that hates these things? I feel much, much happier
>knowing where a link is going to take me.

Nope, I rarely click on them unless I perceive a real benefit to me.

Esp. as there is perfectly good standard for delimiting urls' (ignored
of course AFAIK by 'a certain well known piece of software')
--
Chris French

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
>
>>Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this

> Am I the only person that hates these things? I feel much, much happier
> knowing where a link is going to take me.

I agree to some extent. The makeashorterlink system displays the
destination link before redirecting after a few seconds, time enough to
abort. If the system used doesn't do this then the OP should also quote
the original link as a matter of courtesy.

Colin

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:29:53 +0100, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Am I the only person that hates these things? I feel much, much happier
>> knowing where a link is going to take me.

>I agree to some extent. The makeashorterlink system displays the
>destination link before redirecting after a few seconds, time enough to
>abort. If the system used doesn't do this then the OP should also quote
>the original link as a matter of courtesy.

Which seems to be more or less the de facto standard here in urc now,
both the original and a tinyurl when it's thought it might be useful.

I think there's little risk following them when posted here and in
other generally domesticated environs.

"Bob"

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
> > Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in
> > this

> Am I the only person that hates these things? I feel much, much
> happier knowing where a link is going to take me.
>
> Arthur

Not sure but I think the snipurlT ones, not the tinyurlT, tells
you which site you will be redirected too.

Always thought you gave the full url to be polite and as some
people access the 'web from work and tinyurls are banned . In case the
full one splits (depending on newsreader.[ BTW I use OE and very rarely
have a link split on me]) the tinyurl is given too

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

yours S

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rudyard Shackleton wrote:
>> Guys, how do you make a tiny URL? I have seen posters use them in this

> Am I the only person that hates these things? I feel much, much happier
> knowing where a link is going to take me.

Indeed, or the posts which just contain nothing but a link with no
explanation and expect people to follow it.