Oakland to Host 1st CA Conf on Bicycling and Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cycle America/N

[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
details. ]]

In case you missed it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWS FROM PUBLIC WORKS AGENCY FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Kathryn Hughes March 7, 2003
(510) 238-6493

The City of Oakland to Host the First Statewide Conference on Bicycling and Walking

Urban labs in Oakland? Mobile workshops on bike or foot? These are among the sessions envisioned for
the first Statewide Conference on Walking and Bicycling, to be held at downtown Oakland¹s Marriott
Hotel on October 15 ­ 18, 2003. Sponsored by the City of Oakland and the California Bicycle
Coalition, with support from other local sponsors, the event is expected to draw hundreds of
attendees from across the state, other western states and Washington, D.C.

The first Walk/Bike California conference will tackle education, accessibility, public health
programs, multi-use trails, legal issues, safe routes to school, and more. Professionals can take
advantage of a variety of sessions on the nuts and bolts of planning, engineering, and maintaining
facilities.

³Getting people out of their cars is fundamental to creating a convivial city," said Oakland Mayor
Jerry Brown. "The more Oaklanders walk or bike the less we will have to tolerate the noise and
pollution produced by cars. I welcome any and all creative solutions that this conference‹Walk/Bike
California‹will generate.²

The conference will foster lively interactions between policy makers, transportation professionals,
and advocates.Planning workshops and outdoor ³Urban labs,² will provide hands-on experience in
evaluating the walking and bicycling environment. ³Mobile workshops,² will study innovative
projects, like the attended bicycle facility at the new Fruitvale BART transit village.

According to Claudette Ford, Director of the Public Works Agency, ³This convention is a wonderful
opportunity for the City of Oakland to showcase all that we have done and continue to do for
alternative modes of transportation.²

Oakland¹s conference will be the first of its kind to focus on the interface between walking,
bicycling and public transit. As the transportation hub of the East Bay, with BART, AC Transit,
Amtrak, and the Alameda/Oakland Ferry services all located here, Oakland is the ideal location to
explore nonmotorized connections with transit.

According to Kathryn Hughes, the City¹s Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Manager. ³About 12 other
states hold these conferences. I started talking to colleagues around California about the potential
for our own conference. Everyone thought it was about time we started sharing our own state¹s
successes and challenges.² To register, visit www.walkbikecalifornia.net.

# # #

MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
Greenway CEO Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru
clinical death and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

I found this very interesting because I'm into alternative transportation and also work at an
essentially all volunteer radio station (KALX, Berkeley 90.7 FM) and thought this would make a very
good public service announcement. I guess it would make a decent PSA, but my jaw dropped when I saw
the amounts of money that the registrants are asked to pay. Around $199 for Early Bird registration.
Cocktail reception and Saturday workshops only, $75, etc.

https://www.bikewalk.org/Registration_Walk-Bike_CA.htm

Maybe I'm living in a different world, but this seems pretty expensive to me for an event which is
supposed to promote problem ameliorating activities.

Dan Musicant

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:19:14 -0700, "Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway" <[email protected]> wrote:

:[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
:details. ]]
:
:In case you missed it:
:
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
:NEWS FROM :pUBLIC WORKS AGENCY :FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Kathryn Hughes :March 7, 2003
(510) 238-6493
:
:The City of Oakland to Host the First :Statewide Conference on Bicycling and Walking
:
:Urban labs in Oakland? Mobile workshops on bike or foot? These are :among the sessions envisioned
for the first Statewide Conference on :Walking and Bicycling, to be held at downtown Oakland¹s
Marriott Hotel :eek:n October 15 ­ 18, 2003. Sponsored by the City of Oakland and the :California
Bicycle Coalition, with support from other local sponsors, :the event is expected to draw hundreds
of attendees from across the :state, other western states and Washington, D.C.
:
:The first Walk/Bike California conference will tackle education, :accessibility, public health
programs, multi-use trails, legal issues, :safe routes to school, and more. Professionals can take
advantage of a :variety of sessions on the nuts and bolts of planning, engineering, and :maintaining
facilities.
:
:³Getting people out of their cars is fundamental to creating a
:convivial city," said Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown. "The more Oaklanders :walk or bike the less we
will have to tolerate the noise and pollution :produced by cars. I welcome any and all creative
solutions that this :conference‹Walk/Bike California‹will generate.²
:
:The conference will foster lively interactions between policy makers, :transportation
professionals, and advocates.Planning workshops and :eek:utdoor ³Urban labs,² will provide hands-on
experience in evaluating :the walking and bicycling environment. ³Mobile workshops,² will study
:innovative projects, like the attended bicycle facility at the new :Fruitvale BART transit village.
:
:According to Claudette Ford, Director of the Public Works Agency, ³This :convention is a wonderful
opportunity for the City of Oakland to :showcase all that we have done and continue to do for
alternative modes :eek:f transportation.²
:
:Oakland¹s conference will be the first of its kind to focus on the :interface between walking,
bicycling and public transit. As the :transportation hub of the East Bay, with BART, AC Transit,
Amtrak, and :the Alameda/Oakland Ferry services all located here, Oakland is the :ideal location to
explore nonmotorized connections with transit.
:
:According to Kathryn Hughes, the City¹s Bicycle and Pedestrian Program :Manager. ³About 12 other
states hold these conferences. I started :talking to colleagues around California about the
potential for our own :conference. Everyone thought it was about time we started sharing our :eek:wn
state¹s successes and challenges.² To register, visit :www.walkbikecalifornia.net.
:
:# # #
:
:
:
:
:
:
:MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com
:79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle Greenway CEO
:Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? :Really die? By moving thru clinical
death and reversing :paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.