Oakley lens question

anthony_ng15

May 24, 2004
I was wondering if the oakley lenses or the iridium will get damaged if you touch or rub them with your finger tips.

Thanks.

anthony_ng15 said:
I was wondering if the oakley lenses or the iridium will get damaged if you touch or rub them with your finger tips.

Thanks.

Assuming your fingers are clean and free of any particles, no it wont.

I agree. As long as your fingers or any cloth that you're using is clean. But when I bought my Oakley's w/ iridium lenses, the guy at the Oakley store warned me to wipe the iridium lenses only with their cloth bag. He explained that using a towel or a shirt will wear away the mirror finish over time. So I guess if you want to keep that shiny mirror finish, you should use the Oakely bag/cloth only.

But if you're out on the trail or road and there's sweat and other crud on the lenses you've got to clean it in order to see. Squirt some water on it and lightly remove the debris without rubbing the lense too hard. That's my recommendation.

my bro has oakleys. the weird thing is, when sweat gets on the mirror lens sometimes it makes a lasting silvery spot, which, interestingly, is easily rubbed off with the bag the glasses came in. P.S. make sure you NEVER clean any lenses with an abrasive cloth.