OAKLEY M-Frame vs. Zeros

wcngu1

Aug 13, 2006
I have looked at my budget and it seems I have more money left over for sunnies than I realised haha thanks to my tax return. I'm deciding between two sunnies from OAKLEY but not sure which is better overall for road biking in terms of comfort and protecting the eyes from wind and sun. These are the two. The many M-FRAME types AND the ZERO.

If you have had any experience with these please let me know what you think =)

This is the zero

420536127ae20.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

The VENTED M-FRAME
43f24b590acdc.png_0_0_0.jpg

and the ordinary M-FRAME (HYBRID S)

44441265886d4.png_0_0_0.jpg

I got a bit confused with the M-frame options as there are so many. they have the normal M-Frame and the Pro M-Frame as well as Vented and non vented and the different lense types e.g HEATER,SWEEP,STRIKE,HYBRID,HYBRID S, are these simply styles? do they affect things like the wind?

I enjoyed riding with the vented M-Frames until I stepped on them. :eek:

For the time being I ride with cheapo (12 euros, if I recall correctly) pseudo-M Frames made by Decathlon. They are just fine.

The M frame folds and the Pro M frame doesn't. I find it easier to put the Pro M frame back on while riding because it doesn't fold. The lenses come in different types and shades for different light conditions. The vr28 and g30 are good all around lenses. The hybrid s shape, i think is the one most commonly used for cycling. Vented does not fog up as much but also allows wind and water in. I have no experience with the zero

I have several pair of Oakleys. I use the half jackets for driving and the zero's for cycling.
The zero's are light and also have good eye coveage.

jhuskey said:
I have several pair of Oakleys. I use the half jackets for driving and the zero's for cycling.
The zero's are light and also have good eye coveage.
+1 on the Rudy Project Ekynox, they have been good glasses and I was able to get a great deal on them. FWIW Oakley optics are superior to any other brand of glasses/goggles I've ever tried. The Zeros look to have a thick temple piece so they may block peripheral vision, it would be worth trying them out first.

I had been in vented M-Frames for many years. Last week I changed to Half-Jackets for the Transition lens. I really like the Half Jackets, the M-Frames were good but the transition lens is the bomb. I would think you could get the transition lens in the Zero, if so I personally would go that way.

I use to be a buyer for a large sporting goods retailer and have toured the Oakley headquarters. They truely have an impressive operation, customer service and product. I will never use anything other than Oakleys. Their optics are superior to any other product. Their designers design with the user in mind. I own a pair of M frame Hybrid lense, clear prescription glasses I use for night time and mountain biking/ racing. They are awesome. They block the wind nicely. I also considered vented but I really want the most wind protection and protection from flying particles. So I just went for the non-vented. I also own a pair of Twenties which are just my regular sunglassed, also prescription. I use those on my road bike but don't do as good a job of deflecting the wind at high speed. I'm currently saving up to get another pair of M frame tinted, prescription glasses for my road bike. I should also mention that my glasses came in a nice hard case with extra nose pieces that nicley protect them. The case is hard enough that I can throw it in my duffel bag and not worry about damage to them.

wcngu1 said:
I have looked at my budget and it seems I have more money left over for sunnies than I realised haha thanks to my tax return. I'm deciding between two sunnies from OAKLEY but not sure which is better overall for road biking in terms of comfort and protecting the eyes from wind and sun. These are the two. The many M-FRAME types AND the ZERO.

If you have had any experience with these please let me know what you think =)

This is the zero

420536127ae20.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

The VENTED M-FRAME
43f24b590acdc.png_0_0_0.jpg

and the ordinary M-FRAME (HYBRID S)

44441265886d4.png_0_0_0.jpg

I got a bit confused with the M-frame options as there are so many. they have the normal M-Frame and the Pro M-Frame as well as Vented and non vented and the different lense types e.g HEATER,SWEEP,STRIKE,HYBRID,HYBRID S, are these simply styles? do they affect things like the wind?

wow it looks like the normal M-FRAME takes the cake! thanks for your advice guys!

If anyone knows a good place on the internet to buy these glasses let me know :rolleyes: Everything always seems more expensive in australia...

I wear these, made my Specialized. I did some research on them and found that they live up to all the hype. Excellent glasses for any use. The changing lense is excellent and they are super comfortable.

06OpticsHalfTime_All_l.jpg

I don't wanna be a party pooper, and I know these glasses all look cool, but expenisve specs have gotta be the biggest ripoff bike product out there. Down here (Australialand) they can sell for hundreds of dollars, but probably cost about 10 bucks to make!! I'm a 'Euro' man myself: 30 bucks at my local shop :)

descent-a.jpg

http://www.eurooptics.com.au/euro.html

NickDavid said:
I wear these, made my Specialized. I did some research on them and found that they live up to all the hype. Excellent glasses for any use. The changing lense is excellent and they are super comfortable.

06OpticsHalfTime_All_l.jpg
wow how much are those specialized sunnies? they look interesting.. would they give just as good of field of view as the mframe?

aacliment said:
The M frame folds and the Pro M frame doesn't. I find it easier to put the Pro M frame back on while riding because it doesn't fold. The lenses come in different types and shades for different light conditions. The vr28 and g30 are good all around lenses. The hybrid s shape, i think is the one most commonly used for cycling. Vented does not fog up as much but also allows wind and water in. I have no experience with the zero

I have both the M-Frame pro's and Zero's, I love both although I think the M Frames are slightly better...

The Zero's are nice because they don't have an upper Frame around the Lenses so when you're in the drops and looking "upwards" there's no obstruction to your vision...

Both the M's and Zero's have non obstructed vision to the rear, so when you're looking over your Shoulder to see what's behind they both score 10/10 which is VERY important (to me anyway)...

The Zero's come with 2 styles of rubber nose pieces, one set are small and fit either side of the Nose, the other wraps around completely...

The Zero's let in more wind (and dust etc) than the M Frames...the M-Frames seal everything out so well and don't fog as long as you're moving..stop at the Lights and they do tend to fog a bit, the Zero's don't seem to fog at all...

Both stay in place, the M Frames by wind resistance it seems, the Zero's have Unobtainium Rubber ear and nose pieces, the more you sweat, the better they hold, say Oakley, and it's true!!

Erm, what else...yeah, the M Frame Pro's don't fold as accliment pointed out, which is good, no hinges to break...and yes, easy to put back on....

Both awesome Glasses....very well designed and brilliant for Cycling...

If I had to choose, I would say the M'Frame pro's were slightly better...

The Oakley Zero S looks like a nice pair, I might have to pick some up.
I have Oakley A-Wire's, Half jackets and a pair of XX. You could say I like Oakley's :D

wcngu1 said:
wow how much are those specialized sunnies? they look interesting.. would they give just as good of field of view as the mframe?
sorry if i messed up this thread.. just trying to give some other options to you..

anyway, i love them... I've had those types of oaklies before. i heard the hype about the specialized lenses and they work amazing! the wind does not go into my eyes and dry them out and I can see everything.

There is a top of the line model that i tried on.. yes, they are incredibly light, comfortbale and perfect all around... except they cost $240

NickDavid said:
sorry if i messed up this thread.. just trying to give some other options to you..

anyway, i love them... I've had those types of oaklies before. i heard the hype about the specialized lenses and they work amazing! the wind does not go into my eyes and dry them out and I can see everything.

There is a top of the line model that i tried on.. yes, they are incredibly light, comfortbale and perfect all around... except they cost $240
I"ll probaly try both the oakleys out before I decide haha more options are always better. Was just wondering which model in particular you recommend. Is it just the San remo's?

I use the Zeros (G30 black lens) and love them for their light weight, unobstructed view in the drops, and optics. They do a good job of blocking wind - they are far from drafty, but perhaps not as well sealed as the M frames.

All told though, windproof enough. I don't notice draftiness when I ride, and I am particularly sensitive to this as I wear contacts which can dry out at time, especially on long descents.

I posted about these glasses awhile back before purchasing them. Towards the end of the thread I included a mini-review.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19093&highlight=oakley+zero

great posts!

Thanks, I've been shopping for glasses. I have a nice set of Ryders, which came with three different lenses for different conditions, but they don't seem to block the wind much. It seems most glasses i've riden wit don't seem to take being raked out into consideration and teh whole 'looking up' aspect.