Oatmeal 1

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Zxcvbob, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Old fashioned rolled oats or "quick" oats? The recipe doesn't specify.

    Thanks, regards, Bob

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Old fashioned rolled oats or "quick" oats? The recipe doesn't specify.
    >
    > Thanks, regards, Bob

    I believe it's the "Quick" oats.

    Jill

  3. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Old fashioned rolled oats or "quick" oats? The recipe doesn't specify.
    >
    > Thanks, regards, Bob

    Funny you should ask...I just made these last night. I use the quick oats, and I like to lightly
    toast them. It adds a whole new dimension to the flavor when they're finished.

    kimberly

  4. Paula

    Paula Guest

    i would go for the good old fashioned ones, you can't beat them. jumbo oats if you can get them.

  5. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], jmcquown at

    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >> Old fashioned rolled oats or "quick" oats? The recipe doesn't specify.
    >>
    >> Thanks, regards, Bob
    >
    > I believe it's the "Quick" oats.
    >
    > Jill

    I have used either of the Quaker oats products (the 1 minute "Quick" and the 5 minute "old
    fashioned) and they are interchangeable in cookie recipes.

    The texture is different and you may find you prefer one to the other (I prefer the old fashioned),
    but they are interchangeable in recipes.

    The old fashioned "flakes" of oatmeal are bigger, so the oats are more distinct. The "quick" are
    more like small flakes, and they blend into the dough more thoroughly.

  6. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Nexis wrote:
    > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>Old fashioned rolled oats or "quick" oats? The recipe doesn't specify.
    >>
    >>Thanks, regards, Bob
    >

    > Funny you should ask...I just made these last night. I use the quick oats, and I like to lightly
    > toast them. It adds a whole new dimension to the flavor when they're finished.
    >
    > kimberly

    Toasting the oatmeal sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

    I'm gonna leave out the cinnamon and use up some leftover chocolate chips instead of the
    butterscotch chips.

    Best regards, Bob

  7. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i would go for the good old fashioned ones, you can't beat them. jumbo oats if you can get them.

    Agreed...I never use the quick-cooking sort. Our local health co-op sells extra thick oats and I use
    them in tons of baked goods (and home-made granolas).

    Another Paula