OATMEAL and a cold winter morning

<Rj>

Guest
I was enjoying a bowl of oatmeal ( brown sugar, raisins ) and thinking about food, as usual.

Oatmeal...... cookies, breakfast cereal, meatloaf filler..... Anything else ?

Seems like it should be a great soup "filler". And yet we never cook chicken oatmeal soup, Why beef-
barley soup, and not beef-oatmeal soup ?

I even went to the QuakerOats website, found recipes for all sorts of cookies, etc. and one token
soup recipe.

I'm tempted to make a pot o' beef-oatmeal stew, but I don't have a dog to eat my failures.

What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?

<rj

rj wrote:

> I was enjoying a bowl of oatmeal ( brown sugar, raisins ) and thinking about food, as usual.
>
> Oatmeal...... cookies, breakfast cereal, meatloaf filler..... Anything else ?
>
> Seems like it should be a great soup "filler". And yet we never cook chicken oatmeal soup, Why beef-
> barley soup, and not beef-oatmeal soup ?

This was posted by Felice just under a year ago:

OATMEAL SOUP GUADALAJARA

1 1/4 cups rolled oats 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in eighths 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and
cut in half 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut in quarters 1 large green pepper, seeded and
cut in 1-inch pieces 6 tablespoons butter 8 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/2 teaspoon brown sugar

In heavy saucepan, brown the oats over medium heat, stirring constantly so they do not burn. Remove
from heat. Process onion and garlic quickly; add tomatoes and pepper and process quickly. Melt
butter in saucepan with oats. Add vegetables, broth, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 6
minutes over medium heat. Season to taste with salt before serving hot. If desired, process or blend
to make a smoother soup.

Serves 6

"" wrote:

> I was enjoying a bowl of oatmeal ( brown sugar, raisins ) and thinking about food, as usual.
>
> Oatmeal...... cookies, breakfast cereal, meatloaf filler..... Anything else ?
>
> Seems like it should be a great soup "filler". And yet we never cook chicken oatmeal soup, Why beef-
> barley soup, and not beef-oatmeal soup ?
>
> I even went to the QuakerOats website, found recipes for all sorts of cookies, etc. and one token
> soup recipe.
>
> I'm tempted to make a pot o' beef-oatmeal stew, but I don't have a dog to eat my failures.
>
> What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?

I have made pancakes with it. They were delicious. When I was a kid we had oatmeal porridge almost
every morning for breakfast. My mother used to get up and make it for my father and leave it in a
double boiler. Mr brothers and I all had dome and whatever was left over was fed to my pet rabbit.

"<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was enjoying a bowl of oatmeal ( brown sugar, raisins ) and thinking about food, as usual.
>
> Oatmeal...... cookies, breakfast cereal, meatloaf filler..... Anything else ?
>
> Seems like it should be a great soup "filler". And yet we never cook chicken oatmeal soup, Why beef-
> barley soup, and not beef-oatmeal soup ?
>
> I even went to the QuakerOats website, found recipes for all sorts of cookies, etc. and one token
> soup recipe.
>
> I'm tempted to make a pot o' beef-oatmeal stew, but I don't have a dog to eat my failures.
>
> What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?
>
> <rj>

I make this, and the crowds go wild.

OATMEAL SOUP GUADALAJARA Great Food Processor Cookbook

5/8 cup rolled oats
6/2 onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
7/2 green pepper, diced 3 tablespoons butter, optional 4 cups chicken broth
8/4 teaspoon light brown sugar

In heavy saucepan, brown oats over medium heat, stirring so they do not burn. Melt butter in pan
with oats, if you like. (If you're going to puree the soup, you might as well run the vegs through
the food processor instead of dicing and mincing.) Add vegetables, chicken broth and sugar. Bring to
a boil and boil 6 minutes over medium heat. Puree in blender or processor, or leave as is. Season
with salt before serving hot.

Felice

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> rj wrote:
>
> > I was enjoying a bowl of oatmeal ( brown sugar, raisins ) and thinking about food, as usual.
> >
> > Oatmeal...... cookies, breakfast cereal, meatloaf filler..... Anything else ?
> >
> > Seems like it should be a great soup "filler". And yet we never cook chicken oatmeal soup, Why
> > beef-barley soup, and not beef-oatmeal soup ?
>
> This was posted by Felice just under a year ago:
>
> OATMEAL SOUP GUADALAJARA

<snip repeat!>

Who posted a halved and revised recipe before reading the answers already posted! So you enjoyed it?

Felice

"<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote
> What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?

I use it as a facial scrub, and mixed into a paste, I slap it on the rogue monthly chin-pimple.
Betcha weren't expecting that! ;-)

"<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?
>
> <rj>

Here is a treat I like. It uses Irish steel cut oatmeal.

Charlie

OATMEAL SCONES

Source: unknown

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour 1 tbs. baking powder
1/4 cup sugar 1 tsp. salt 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup Irish oatmeal
2/2 cup butter, softened 1 egg
3/3 cup light cream or milk

Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly grease large cookie sheet; set aside. In a large bowl, sift all-
purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. With fork, stir in whole-wheat flour and oatmeal. With
pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside.

In a small bowl, beat egg with milk. Add all at once to the flour mixture and mix lightly until
thoroughly moistened. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls in 12 large mounds, 2-inches apart, on prepared
cookie sheet.

Bake 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm with sweet cream butter and jam. Makes 12.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:55:45 -0500, "<RJ>" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Seems like it should be a great soup "filler". And yet we never cook chicken oatmeal soup, Why beef-
>barley soup, and not beef-oatmeal soup ?

When I opened the sealed plastic container I'd transferred barley-in-a-box to immediately after
bring home from the store, it had moths and larva. Since I was halfway through a beef'n'barley
thing, and didn't want to go to the store, I threw in some oatmeal. Not a good idea, as I should
have realized -- oatmeal and liquid don't turn into cooked grain, but a dissolved thickening. Blech!

>I even went to the QuakerOats website, found recipes for all sorts of cookies, etc. and one token
>soup recipe.

>What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?

I have an old Quaker recipe for bread that I make/made with roasted cashews in imitation of some fancy-
poo organic loaf I had once. I will try and find the pamphlet.

On a warm spring or summer morning, mix uncooked oatmeal with *lots* of fresh berries. Add a little
brown sugar, and some sliced almonds, if you want. Top with milk. Delicious! We usually eat it with
strawberries, but recently I tried it with blueberries and liked it even better.

Chris

"Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
> <snip>
>> What else do YOU do with oatmeal ?
>>
>> <rj>
>
> Here is a treat I like. It uses Irish steel cut oatmeal.
>
> Charlie
>
> OATMEAL SCONES
>

> Source: unknown
>

> 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour 1 tbs. baking powder
> 1/4 cup sugar 1 tsp. salt 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup Irish oatmeal
> 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 egg
> 2/3 cup light cream or milk
>

> Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly grease large cookie sheet; set aside. In a large bowl, sift all-
> purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. With fork, stir in whole-wheat flour and oatmeal.
> With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
>
> In a small bowl, beat egg with milk. Add all at once to the flour mixture and mix lightly until
> thoroughly moistened. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls in 12 large mounds, 2-inches apart, on prepared
> cookie sheet.
>
> Bake 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm with sweet cream butter and jam. Makes 12.

Charlie, I love steel-cut oats and I love scones, but I can't imagine being able to chew those hard
little bits of oats without soaking or pre- cooking to some degree. Do they really soften up ehough
in baking?

Wayne