Oatmeal Question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Connieg999, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Connieg999

    Connieg999 Guest

    I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats. I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats. I know
    what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I replace the rolled oats in the
    recipe with the steel-cut oats?

    Connie
    My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

    Tags:

  2. ConnieG999 wrote:
    > I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats. I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats. I
    > know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I replace the rolled oats in
    > the recipe with the steel-cut oats?
    >
    > Connie
    > My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

    How will you be using the oats? If it's in meatloaf, you will have to cook the oats enough, so that
    they wont turn out hard in your meatloaf. If it's in other recipes, it may be different.

    Rich

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ConnieG999 wrote:

    > I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats. I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats. I
    > know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I replace the rolled oats in
    > the recipe with the steel-cut oats?

    If the recipe is for oatmeal porridge you can do it with the steel cut oats. Just increase the
    cooking time. I can't see substituting steel cut oats for most other recipes because they take so
    much longer to cook.

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(LazyConnieG999)
    >
    >I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats. I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats. I
    >know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I replace the rolled oats in
    >the recipe with the steel-cut oats?

  5. Connieg999

    Connieg999 Guest

    [email protected] (PENMART01) writes:

    Don't get your panties in a wad, Sheldon. Here;s the recipe.

    Scottish Pancakes

    1.5 cups rolled oats (uncooked) 2 cups buttermilk
    2.5 tsp sugar 1 tbsp ("well-rounded") baking soda .5 cup flour 2 eggs

    Mix oats and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to mixture and blend until
    relatively smooth. Drop by spoonfuls on a hot greased griddle; cakes should be about 4 inches
    diameter. Turn when most surface bubbles begin to break, to brown the top side.

  6. On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:27:31 +0000, ConnieG999 wrote:

    > I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats. I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats. I
    > know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I replace the rolled oats in
    > the recipe with the steel-cut oats?

    Doubtful. They're of different quality and consistency. You should just pick up some rolled oats at
    the grocer and use them instead and save the Irish oats for making porridge.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

  7. Robert Klute

    Robert Klute Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 22:30:56 GMT, [email protected] (ConnieG999) wrote:

    >Scottish Pancakes
    >
    >1.5 cups rolled oats (uncooked) 2 cups buttermilk
    >1.5 tsp sugar 1 tbsp ("well-rounded") baking soda .5 cup flour 2 eggs
    >
    >Mix oats and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to mixture and blend until
    >relatively smooth. Drop by spoonfuls on a hot greased griddle; cakes should be about 4 inches
    >diameter. Turn when most surface bubbles begin to break, to brown the top side.

    Steel cut oats would definitely need much longer soaking, at least over night, and perhaps
    some cooking.

    With the short soaking time, I wonder if it might need quick cooking rolled oats (as opposed to the
    old fashioned oats).

  8. ConnieG999 wrote:
    > [email protected] (PENMART01) writes:
    >

    > Don't get your panties in a wad, Sheldon. Here;s the recipe.
    >
    > Scottish Pancakes
    >
    > 1.5 cups rolled oats (uncooked) 2 cups buttermilk
    > 1.5 tsp sugar 1 tbsp ("well-rounded") baking soda .5 cup flour 2 eggs
    >
    > Mix oats and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to mixture and blend until
    > relatively smooth. Drop by spoonfuls on a hot greased griddle; cakes should be about 4 inches
    > diameter. Turn when most surface bubbles begin to break, to brown the top side.
    >

    > Connie
    > My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

    Whoa! You'll need to cook those pin heads very well, else you'll end up with a product, which will
    be perfect for parrots.

    Rich

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  9. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ConnieG999 wrote:

    > [email protected] (PENMART01) writes:
    >

    > Don't get your panties in a wad, Sheldon. Here;s the recipe.
    >
    > Scottish Pancakes
    >
    > 1.5 cups rolled oats (uncooked) 2 cups buttermilk
    > 1.5 tsp sugar 1 tbsp ("well-rounded") baking soda .5 cup flour 2 eggs
    >
    > Mix oats and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to mixture and blend until
    > relatively smooth. Drop by spoonfuls on a hot greased griddle; cakes should be about 4 inches
    > diameter. Turn when most surface bubbles begin to break, to brown the top side.

    Nope. You'll get clumps of limp pancakes filled with grit.

  10. Dennis G .

    Dennis G . Guest

    [email protected] (ConnieG999) wrote:

    >I have a recipe that calls for uncooked rolled oats. I have a tin of McCann's steel-cut oats. I
    >know what the difference in the two is, but what I don't know is, can I replace the rolled oats in
    >the recipe with the steel-cut oats?
    >
    >Connie
    >My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

    Had to search and found:

    "Whole oat groats are oats that have had the hulls removed and have been heat treated to stabilize
    enzymes which cause rancidity. Steel cut oat groats are whole oat groats that have each been cut
    into two or four pieces. Whole oat flour can be produced in several granulations, but all are
    produced by grinding whole oat products through hammermills or rollstands. Low bran oat flour is the
    flour produced during the production of bran (any granulation). It is lower in protein and fibre
    content than whole oat flour.

    Crushed oats are produced by lightly grinding groats, steel cut, or flakes to produce a meal type
    product. Various textures (fine and coarse as rough categories) are available. Large flake rolled
    oats (#3, #4, #5, #6) are produced by rolled whole oat groats.

    All large flake oats are essentially the same product, but produced at different thicknesses, which
    results in a range of absorption characteristics, as well as visual differences.

    The quick, baby, and instant rolled oats are all manufactured by rolling steel cut oat groats.
    Different granulations of steel cut and different rolling thicknesses result in a variety of
    related products. "

    From: http://www.can-oat.com/uses/uses.html

    Dennis