Obama the next GW or the next Abe Lincoln

LottomagicZ4941

Oct 6, 2004

The main reason I can't get to intrested in Obama is that I thought GW would be a good president; and, he was and is a disapointment.

I've seen Obama quoted a few different ways on this statement.

'There are no red states, there are no blue states, there are the United States of America'

At least I was to young to have ever voted for Jimmy Carter.

With Obama's getting non political people intrested in improvement, hum, perhaps he could even be the next, gasp, Ronald Reagon.

"With out a vision the people perish" proberbs?

Hopefully MaCain has to much pride to be the next GW. But I'm not sure he has a vision beyond just being President.

Hum, why hasn't Obama asked us if we are better off then we were 8 years ago?

LottomagicZ4941 said:

The main reason I can't get to intrested in Obama is that I thought GW would be a good president; and, he was and is a disapointment.

Like you, what I continually marvel at is how some fail to notice the contadictions in Obama's meteoric rise within the same system that they deem "corrupt, broken and/or out of touch." An actual "outsider, and real change advocate" might find much more substantial resistance (from both within and outside his/her own Party) on his way to such a mass acceptance?

Although Obama does not enjoy total acceptance for sure, Politics is "politics." How much "toe-stepping" has he really done? I don't believe he really offers much that is new? That said, hopefully voter turnout will be something less of an embarassment than it has been. It ain't the candidate's fault when apathy runs rampant.

LottomagicZ4941 said:

I've seen Obama quoted a few different ways on this statement.

'There are no red states, there are no blue states, there are the United States of America'

At least I was to young to have ever voted for Jimmy Carter.

With Obama's getting non political people intrested in improvement, hum, perhaps he could even be the next, gasp, Ronald Reagon.

"With out a vision the people perish" proberbs?

Hopefully MaCain has to much pride to be the next GW. But I'm not sure he has a vision beyond just being President.

Funny you should ask . . . I've been thinking for months now that he's the next GW and here you are expressing the same thoughts. He's the EXACT same, just as scary, only on the polar opposite spectrum of our partisan politics.

C'dale Girl said:
Funny you should ask . . . I've been thinking for months now that he's the next GW and here you are expressing the same thoughts. He's the EXACT same, just as scary, only on the polar opposite spectrum of our partisan politics.
I found myself "wishing" for the world presented in Obama's acceptance speech last night and yet I found myself "doubting" the possibility of such a world. As is the usual case, the framing of this election seems to be focused on the "idealist" vs. the "realist" perspective and it seems to try and paint the distinctions of the two as impossible to reconcile. Doesn't it seem that the Obama crowd at Invesco "looked" like a bunch of sappy idealists CRYING and jumping around in mindless worship, failing to grasp the world as it "is"? I wonder will the Republicans come accross as "stoic and stiff," stubbornly pragmatic and firmly devoid of hope beyond anything deemed "too unreasonable to achieve?" Will they again try and paint the world as it "is" rather than what it "could" be?

The world is an extremely complex place, and the everyday contingencies of acting and re-acting to it are hard to prophesize, yet the possibilities are equally promising when given the chance to dream...so do we choose the "poet," reaching high and potentially falling... perhaps hard, or do we choose the "realist."

The "actual" risks are probably the same, the world is a bad place from time to time and it probably is impossible to build "Utopia" on earth.

McCain vs Putin would be a dangerous global scenario for all concerned. Mccain doesn't strike me as the type of character who has the diplomatic wisdom to negotiate round a crisis, as Kennedy and Krushchev were able to do back in the sixties. If Mccain gets in, neither he would give ground and neither would Putin. In the Georgia situation I could see McCain actually confronting Russia and sending in troops but the Russians wouldn't turn the other cheek either. We'd wind up with a World War Three on our hands.
Obama seems to me to be wiser and also a very good orator. He's streets ahead of Hilary Clinton - a lady who looks as if she's never done a day's physical work in her entire life and is as prone to telling yarns and tall-stories as her hubby.
Even so, I don't think Obama will get in.

Carrera said:
McCain vs Putin would be a dangerous global scenario for all concerned. Mccain doesn't strike me as the type of character who has the diplomatic wisdom to negotiate round a crisis, as Kennedy and Krushchev were able to do back in the sixties. If Mccain gets in, neither he would give ground and neither would Putin. In the Georgia situation I could see McCain actually confronting Russia and sending in troops but the Russians wouldn't turn the other cheek either. We'd wind up with a World War Three on our hands.
Obama seems to me to be wiser and also a very good orator. He's streets ahead of Hilary Clinton - a lady who looks as if she's never done a day's physical work in her entire life and is as prone to telling yarns and tall-stories as her hubby.
Even if Obama doesn't get in perhaps he was a positive influence on McCain.

I'm talking about the hats speach. But will the change last?

I had a scary thought the other day. What if Bush is doing a better job then we have been giving him credit for in that things could be much worse.

LottomagicZ4941 said:
Now that is a insult to President Reagon. I have yet to hear one thing Obama has plans for, just "Change". How will he change things, what are his plans.......ideas are **** without DETAILS.

Medicare
Social Security
Health Care....same old platform's that I have heard for 30 yrs and NO ONE has yet to fix them, on either side. At least with McCain/Palin you have a better chance of not getting taxed to death.

Carrera said:
I guess seven years in a North Vietnamese pow camp must not have taught McCain anything about the horrors of war, by your estimation.

Which is not to say that turning the other cheek is the same as pursuing peace. If it is, where's Neville Chamberlain when you need him? Turning the other cheek certainly averted WW2, right?

Last, it is hypothetically possible Obama would do what Kennedy is credited with doing during the Cuban missile crisis, which was to step back and listen to his advisors. However, Obama's record is to not listen to anyone in the know when formulating an opinion about strategic military matters such as, say, the troop surge.

Note, I am not arguing whether we should be in Iraq, just that Obama didn't bother to ask anyone when formulating his opinion on the chances of the troop surge for success. One suspects he may have merely gambled that it would fail and he'd look like a wise hero. It didn't fail, it met its objectives.

He must have realized some time ago that people would notice that as a state senator, he either voted with his party or abstained from voting-130 times.

Carrera said:
Wise? more like wet behind the ears!

As a state senator, Obama either voted with his party or abstained from voting.

I assumed he went against the war because of this fact. It was an act of self-promotion. He needed not to appear like someone who always made safe career moves, (although he must have known that opposing the war wouldn't really change what his party was doing; hence it was still a safe career choice!)

May I ask what you find so wise about him? What would you say to counter that assumption?

When he said the troop surge would fail he showed he doesn't care enough to find out what he's talking about, just gambling it would be a fiasco and he'd look smart and wise instead of a little fresh and green, always making the safe career choice.

garage sale GT said:
I assumed he went against the war because of this fact. It was an act of self-promotion. He needed not to appear like someone who always made safe career moves, (although he must have known that opposing the war wouldn't really change what his party was doing; hence it was still a safe career choice!)
Uh-huh. He went against the majority of Americans, who had been deceived by Bush's lies, at a time when the media was afraid to question the administration, for fear of losing market share, and it was easy to go along with the herd because it was a safe career choice. That makes perfect sense.

What is McCain's excuse? He was dumb enough to believe Dubya?

Bro Deal said:
Uh-huh. He went against the majority of Americans, who had been deceived by Bush's lies, at a time when the media was afraid to question the administration, for fear of losing market share, and it was easy to go along with the herd because it was a safe career choice. That makes perfect sense.
He didn't go against the mood in his district. I happen to live there.

BTW it was a smart gamble. An excellent use of change to promote one's career. If he cares why doesn't he find out what the Tuck he is Falking about on the troop surge? It's as if he didn't even ASK anyone! One could even assume he gambled the war would fail and he'd look wise.

And it's a safe gamble because his constituents would forgive him.

It also didn't change what his party was doing! Has he ever gone against his party when it would make a shred of difference? Has he ever crossed party lines on a bill that could have gone either way? I am sure he will soon if he hasn't btw, since he is using change to promote his career and will recognize it as a smart choice.

I guess you want to say he just didn't know that any war will attract a sizable opposition in this country even if it's a minority opinion.

John McCain: "This nation is in the midst of a crisis. As a US senator I need to cancel the debate and try to do something about the worst financial danger this country has been in since 1929!"

Barack Obama: "This nation is in the midst of a crisis. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH BARACK ON THE TV! I will go on the debate even if McCain does not!"

As a complete outsider (I'm South African) all I have to go on is the news feed.

To me it looks like Obama is a talker and McCain is a doer.

Give me a doer over a talker anyday.

Eldron said:
As a complete outsider (I'm South African) all I have to go on is the news feed.

To me it looks like Obama is a talker and McCain is a doer.

Give me a doer over a talker anyday.
What exactly has McCain done?

America badly needs good leadership in my opinion.

The last 8 years have been disasterous for the USA both internally and externally.

I am not sure that either candidate is much use.
McCain?
He may wish to do something innovative but he has to depend on fundamentalist republicans for backing to stand any chance of getting to the White House.

Obama?
Maybe it's me - but does anyone know what his policies actually are?

Regardless of who occupies the White House next, I think the USA faces a whole series of serious problems resulting from the corrupt, unethical and shambolic
stewardship of Bush.

limerickman said:
Obama?
Maybe it's me - but does anyone know what his policies actually are?
I think one of his policies is to raise the Federal income tax to 39%.

I wouldn't support such a measure unless I knew where the increase was going to go. If the gubmint has cash in its hands it almost certainly won't go to the deficit, which is one of the reasons Obama gave for wanting to raise taxes.

garage sale GT said:
I think one of his policies is to raise the Federal income tax to 39%.

I wouldn't support such a measure unless I knew where the increase was going to go. If the gubmint has cash in its hands it almost certainly won't go to the deficit, which is one of the reasons Obama gives for raising taxes.

Given the current financial crisis in Wall Street, an increase in taxation would appear to be inevitable anyhow.

Obama came out for a 39% federal income tax well before the current crisis.

However, maybe I am a little poisoned against the guy but to me it seems like a move calculated to appear that he doesn't always vote with his party or make the safe choice.

But then, to me, that picture of him pedaling around on a poorly inflated hybrid with a dorky mix of cycling and street clothes seemed to be calculated to make him seem like everyman.