Obituary for David G. Groves

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C26C3A1.4201E402%40deSPAMMERmindspring.com&output=gplain

What seems to be bothering everybody, is that I'm still
friends with Groves. That doesn't mean I see eye-to-eye with
Groves, but at least 50% of the time, we don't argue.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C44F550.903FE163%40fu-
se.net&output=gplain

> The thread was more controlled without him.

Controlled? In what sense? I apologize if this offends you,
but you were jumping around like a dual-personality off
their meds. You probably will claim that this was planned.
No need. This group includes humans from every walk of
life, every intelligence level, and every humor level.
Seldom can anyone fool all of us, either most of the time
or all of the time.

This
> causes some friction but it ends in a few minutes and then
> we get something productive done.

This is called maturity. Most of us have learned this lesson
long ago. Those of us that haven't, well, this group will
gladly help us reach the goal.

> Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from
> the public,

I would think, from a representative (either volunteer or
paid) standpoint, that it would be to your benefit to
identify Dave's strong points and help him to develop those
points. He does get attention. He is fervent in his desires.
There is a gold mine there, if you know how to use it. But
therein lies the key. I don't know your age, but I sure as
hell feel like my mother here. Sorry.

> just email me if he shows and I'll help to move him on to
> his official duties.

Absolutely no need. We enjoy a good discussion. Dave's
presence seems to always guarantee this.

> I'll probably set up a thread to suck him in, embarrass
> him in public

Please don't. I always favor the underdog. And I really
don't know how I will sleep given my feeling of favor versus
my feeling of righteousness. ;o}

> I also hope you see how specific the conflict was and
> that (hopefully) nobody else got hurt in the process.

Yes, I can see it. However, the 'hurt' may come about
because we, most of us, read all of the threads. And some of
us are long-time friends. Internet friends, maybe, but still
friends. And, as with all good friends, we monitor if any of
us need anything. Even when we don't need the help (as with
Beav) we may jump in just for the support.

> You should also realize how deliberate and methodical I
> am by now.

I am not sure that I do.

> If a side argument will not help to achieve the goal, it
> gets shutdown.

Claiming control of all the threads on this group?

> Sorry to upset everybody, my mission is over, thanks,

Dang, Jim. relax already. Mission? methodical? use?
deliberate? We are all trying to get through this. But
none of us will survive any longer than our bodies hold
out. I mean it, relax. View us as your 'soon to be'
friends. No need to use, or manipulate, or any of the
other 'intimidation' type terms you choose to use. (Some
of us have had some pretty strong manipulators try in the
past. We came away stronger. I am not only speaking of the
group, here.)

There is enough knowledge and experience on this group to
satisfy an encyclopedia writer! Sit back and revel in it.

Sorry, again, for sounding like my mom.

Judy Type 1, 25+ years

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D7422D4.EEFE5653%40de-
SPAMALATORmindspring.com&output=gplain

I'll stay friends with Dave. But will not try to work with
him again,

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E7A89DF.9C8FE5B5%40at-
t.net&output=gplain

You never spoke highly of DG as a DIF person. Since you're
not an animal insulin person, refrain from criticising them.
With friends like you, he doesn't need enemies.

After a few green beers on Saint Patty's day, I resigned
from DIF over this
> issue of support for the Canadians.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=a8d34ee7.0403071324.58-
433a2f%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were known
at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to take over
DIF even before it was offically formed. You were kept on
the board to keep and eye on. The world knows your character
now, by your own words. Resigned???? You were fired!

From the links, looks like Beav and I are not alone in our
defining of friendship. You can't even decide if you were a
friend of Mr. Groves or not--in your own warped sense of
it. Comparing the posts in this thread, you claim to be,
then claim that it was to further your own means re: a patient-
based DM organization. You called yourself a friend of Mr.
Groves in the links above--Gary Ennis was not the only one.
You also can't decide whether you are a politician or not;
some posts are nothing but politically oriented re:
references, in this one you say you are not a politician.
Small wonder that the friendship issue has been so
difficult for you.

You indicated that you wished to end it and will say that
you can call me friend as you wish; know that the exact
connotation is placed on it with its use for me as it was
for Mr. Groves. Amusing that someone whose hypocrisy is so
well-documented can try to turn around and accuse others of
it others where there's no basis found there. You admit to
hypocrisy if it gets the job done.

Ah, that old "line of duty" defense--didn't the SS also try
it to justify putting people into gas chambers?. They had a
variation on it, I think, called "just following orders".

Interesting to see that there are two versions of your
leaving DIF--yours is that you resigned, Mary Hunt posted
here that you were fired. So you are no longer with the
organization, but you continue to speak in your posts to
this thread as you are, using the present tense regarding
DIF and planning a name change for an organization you no
longer have any part of. Hostile takeover of DIF in the
works? Why else worry about moving the organization away
from Dave Groves' image? For an organization which you
described as too much baggage from the past in this thread,
you seem to be very concerned about what to do with it.

Your aspirations are easy to see--a patient-based DM
organization. With the people skills you've demonstrated
here re: friendship and hypocrisy, how many people do you
think are willing to become involved with any organization
you were part of? Can't think that many would be part of an
organization which believes that anything is necessary or
moral to get the so-called "job" done; with your value
system, no participants would ever know if they were next on
the list to be on the receiving line of one of them.

Your claims regarding such an organization are supposedly
based on service to the DM community. Your posts and
scruples say that it's only going to serve your ego and
relentless quest for power. Pity the DM's who might be
caught between them!!

Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]
ews.com>...
> [...]

> >> political microcosm. This technique wins arguments and
> >> is used on friends as well as enemies. So "set up" is
> >> independent of friendship.
> >
> > Phsycobabble. And morel bollocks too.
>
> You keep squirming and you'll fall off your chair, Beav.

> >> DIF still has a political agenda and therefore it is
> >> relevent.
> >
> > This discussion has nothing to do with the DIF. I
> > realise this is a political trick (never answer a
> > question) but this isn't misc.health.politics and you
> > ain't no politician.
>
> It doen't matter. The jury read it. And I admit I'm not a
> politician, thank God.
>

> > The
> >> organization needs public opinion to help its cause. As
> >> a test, would you join DIF now that Dave has passed on?
> >> Or is his legacy still keeping people away?
> >
> > No way. Not while people who don't think twice about
> > stabbing their "friends" in the back are associated
> > with it.
> >

> >> Next, friendship is an evolutionary process. Sometimes
> >> it ends abruptly
> as
> >> mortal enemies.
> >
> > Indeed it does, but they don't carry on calling each
> > other friends.
>
> Good point. But it was Gary Ennis that said I was
> Dave's friend.
>

> > In my case with Dave, it remained on the fence for
> >> political reasons. The organization was more important
> >> then differences between people in the organization.
> >>
> >> ASIDE: In light of the AARP's sell out on the Medicare
> >> bill this year, it would seem more important then ever
> >> for some patient-based political organization to get
> >> into Washington, DC. DIF was going in this direction
> >> but it never focused on the majority needs.
> >
> > Would that be because the majority "needs" are perfectly
> > satisfied by GM insulins? remember Jim, they ARE. it's
> > only a tiny minority who actually NEED animal derived
> > insulins, and whn push comes to shove, they CAN get
> > them, even if they live in the states.
> >

> >> So I rest my case,
> >
> > Actually, what you did was try to deflect your case onto
> > something completely different. I answered, but I wasn't
> > fooled.
>
> I never deflect. I stand and fight. But I use the
> opportunity to further the cause: That of some patient-
> based organization.
>
> And keep posting because I'm not done yet. Thanks as
> always,

"Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mary wrote:
>
> > For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were
> > known at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to
> > take over DIF even before it was offically formed. You
> > were kept on the board to keep and eye on. The world
> > knows your character now, by your own words.
> > Resigned???? You were fired!
>
> Dear Mary,
>
> If you check your DIF bylaws, there is no provision
termination.
> Board members must be voted off the board of directors and
> that never happened.
>
> What did happen was Dave had a temper tantrum, as usual,
> and said "You're Fired!" But that was meaningless per the
> bylaws. I submitted a letter of resignation to Dr. Bob
> Blumenthal, the chairman of the board and CEO of
> DIF. He accepted it with heavy heart and my now wife was
> pleased as punch because she thought I was wasting
> my time.
>
> This was volunteer work. So fired is impossible,

Mmmmmm, you have a point Jim, getting fired from a voluntary
organisation IS difficult, but it's becoming obvious that if
it WERE possible, you'd have been out on your ear faster
than a rat up a drainpipe, yet only yesterday you were
asking me to JOIN you in an organisation you no longer
belong to?

Now I don't know if you wre fired off, or if if you
resigned, but making that offer seems a little strange
wouldn't you say?

Beav

sieweke wrote:

> What...

It's all water over the dam now. My recommendation is don't
join DIF if it has nothing to offer you.

AF age, I'm 49 and will turn 50 in July. I've decided not to
join the AARP for obvious reasons.

Best wishes,
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate

"Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>

> > "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]
> > anews.com...

an

you

and
of

> >> I don't remember saying that I would "set up Dave."
> >
> > Jim, let's not get into playing childish word games eh?
> > You know EXACTLY what you wrote (see the quote)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40do-
ntSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

> > J.D. said....Now that you know I want to keep Groves
> > away from the
public,
> > just email me if he shows and I'll help to move him on
> > to his official
duties.
> > I'll probably set up a thread to suck him in, embarrass
> > him in public and this will get him out of mhd for
> > awhile.
> > ------
>

> Dear Beav,
>
> It worked on you two years ago. It's an effective method
> and I'll
continue
> to use it.

????? WHAT "worked on me"? I do believe youre falling into
that trap again of believing your own publicity Jim.

> > Now do you think that's the kind of things friends do to
> > each other? I don't, and sieweke doesn't either, which
> > is why he pulled you. I think
he
> > was right to do that and I think you ARE wrong to keep
> > on arguing the "finer" point.

> > ---------------
>
> I've seen friends beat the sh*t outta each other. So this
> is mild. It really depends on the relationship. Some
> people aren't happy unless they are in an argument with
> somebody.

And that makes setting them up for a fall Ok in your book?
Well not mine.

My exwife was like this, and Dave Groves
> had this propensity. So friendship is in the eyes of the
> two beholders.

But as you're very fond of saying, we're only getting half
the story (yours). Dave isn't here to defend himself so
we're not getting the full picture. Ergo it's a flawed
picture (according to you)

> These two parties are all that count as the bond is only
> between them.

BOND??? Now you're REALLY stretching things.

> > J.D. said....You should also realize how deliberate and
> > methodical I am
by
> > now.
> > ---------------
> >
> > This is another part of your post and it shows EXACTLY
> > how good a
"friend"
> > you were to DG.
> >
> > If a side argument will not help to achieve the goal,
> > it gets shutdown.
> >
> > Sorry to upset everybody, my mission is over, thanks,
>
> All these are true. When my mission is over I shut down
> the thread just
as
> I did in our argument two years ago. If a side argument is
> wasteful, it gets shut down.

You don't shut things down Jim (that implies you have
control, which you may THINK you do, but.....) No, what YOU
do is simply run away when the going gets tough. I learned
that a long time ago.

> But this argument is useful. You're moving the cause
> forward unwittingly.

There you go again, thinking you've made a superior move by
getting me to "unwittingly" do "something". I believe
there's a name for people who think along those lines
("Napoleonic" maybe) You purposely brought in the DIF as an
aside to deflect the issue. It didn't work but I didn't
press the point.

> We're looking at the seed of some patient-based
> organization.

No Jim, YOU'RE doing that, no-one else is.

This is
> Dave's true contribution to the DM community.

If you like to think that, fine.

> > You said what you said Jim and it's there for all
> > to see.
>
> Indeed I did. And I'll do it all over the same way again.

And that speaks volumes about your personality and ethics.

> >> I Googled back to S's first post in September's "Dave
> >> Groves in
Hospital"
> >> thread. It demonstrated a person without knowledge or
> >> interest in
Dave's
> >> beef insulin work.
> >
> > So? Dave was more than a beef insulin advocate
> > wasn't he?
>
> It was: 1) beef insulin, 2) a cure for diabetes; and, 3)
> support for T1s with legal problems from hypoglycemic-
> mediated events like car accidents.

Dave Groves was something else too, he was also Dave Groves
the person. You seem to have forgotten that.

> >> Any sound decision requires all the information
> >> available.
> >
> > That's a fair amount more squirming you're dong there
> > Jim. Siewke's ONLY issue was you calling yourself Daves
> > friend. Plainly you're not, so why not just admit it and
> > this thread will go the way of all the others
before
> > it.
>
> Then you must be squirming back.

But Jim, what have I got to squirm about? *I* never said
Dave was my friend and *I* never stabbed him in the back. I
always worked out in the open and if I had something to sat
to Dave, I said it TO him, not ABOUT him. No squirming
needed from me.

As I posted to Sieweke much earlier in
> this thread, by his/her narrow definition, I was not
> Dave's friend. This issue was resolved by that post and
> Sieweke fell silent. So you must have missed that post.

You should know better than that Jim, I missed nothing and
you know it.

> > If you only get
> >> part of the picture and take off on a tangent, you've
> >> done all a disservice.
> >
> > What other part of the picture "I was a friend of Dave
> > Groves" IS there
> > know? now if you'd said "I was a friend of Dave Groves
> > UNTIL...... that changes the whole slant, but you
> > didn't.
>
> With Dave Groves, one day you were his best friend and the
> next day you
were
> his worst enemy.

That's a load of bollocks if ever I heard it. Friends argue,
friends fall out, firends make up, but friends do NOT stab
each other in he back for ANY reason. If they do, they're no
longer friends and shouldn't CALL themselves friends.

So it was difficult for anybody to know which day it was:
> good or bad. If I summed the bad days, they were probably
> 75% of our decade relationship. He was far more upset with
> me than I was with him.

I can't POSSIBLY imagine why that would be!

> You're doing a wonderful job, Beav.

If keeping you in line was my job, I'd agree.

> >> Again, friends with a political agenda are atypical
> >> friends. They do what is necessary to get the job done.
> >> The political agenda governs. More importantly, you're
> >> operating in a Machiavellian environment with
> >> friendship secondary.
> >
> > So you're not ACTUALY friends, you just feed off each
> > other to further

> Good. No skin off my nose.

Weren't you asking me to join you a day ago?

> >> Then I must be a hypocrite. All in the line of duty.
> >
> > Sorry Jim, but that's bollocks.There IS no duty that
> > requires hypocrisy. (Hypocrisy is just a nice way of
> > telling lies)
>
> Everybody is a hypocritical in their daily life.

They are? I must be unique then.

It's a tool to get the
> children to behave as in: "Do as I say and not as I do."

And everybody says that? I must ask my own son when I ever
did. I suspect he'll have a hard time telling me when.

Both you and
> Sieweke are hypocritical on this issue with Dave Groves,
> as another example. You both have cast the first stone.

Pray tell which stone it was EITHER of us cast. I for one
would be VERY interested.

But in doing so, have judged
> yourselves in the process. In any case, I admit that I'll
> be hypocritical if it gets a job done. And I'm an
> engineer, we don't lie.

You tell the world you're DG's friend, then stab him in the
back and you then tell us you don't tell LIES??? You must be
living on a different reality to the rest of us Jim.

> > The greater goal is
> >> to make DIF into a more powerful organization. But this
> >> can't be done unless it moves away from Dave's image.
> >> This is why I think a name change is necessary.
> >
> > This is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Muddy the
> > waters all you like, but I'll just put on astonger
> > light, as will others.

btw, is there where I'm supposed to have "unwittingly"
propped up your cause? Like I thought, you're living in
dreamland.

> >> Agreed. Politics and friendship don't mix well. And I
> >> admit, I play a
> > game
> >> of chess in an argument with people on newsgroups. If
> >> they fall into
my
> >> trap, then shame on them.
> >
> > Jim, you're falling into the trap of actually believing
> > you're in cntrol and some sort of debating genious who
> > thinks 20 moves in front of everyone. You're not.
> >
> > That's the way these public forums work. It's a
> >> political microcosm. This technique wins arguments and
> >> is used on friends as well as enemies. So "set up" is
> >> independent of friendship.
> >
> > Phsycobabble. And morel bollocks too.
>
> You keep squirming and you'll fall off your chair, Beav.

You can't even generate your own comebacks Jim, how on earth
can you believe you're such a smart guy that you can run
rings around the world? Like I've already said, WHY would I
need to squirm.

running
Dave

> >> DIF still has a political agenda and therefore it is
> >> relevent.
> >
> > This discussion has nothing to do with the DIF. I
> > realise this is a political trick (never answer a
> > question) but this isn't misc.health.politics and you
> > ain't no politician.
>
> It doen't matter. The jury read it. And I admit I'm not a
> politician, thank God.

Probably because you've never been approached by any decent
political party. I think you'd JUMP at the chance.

> > The
> >> organization needs public opinion to help its cause. As
> >> a test, would you join DIF now that Dave has passed on?

Is it here that I should quote you again? Go on then, I
will... "No skin off my nose".

Or is his legacy still keeping
> >> people away?
> >
> > No way. Not while people who don't think twice about
> > stabbing their "friends" in the back are associated
> > with it.

I notice you didn't comment Jim.

> >> Next, friendship is an evolutionary process. Sometimes
> >> it ends
abruptly
> > as
> >> mortal enemies.
> >
> > Indeed it does, but they don't carry on calling each
> > other friends.
>
> Good point. But it was Gary Ennis that said I was
> Dave's friend.

Maybe you should've added "as well"? Are you now saying that
YOU never said it?

> > In my case with Dave, it remained on the fence for
> >> political reasons. The organization was more
> >> important then
differences
> >> between people in the organization.
> >>
> >> ASIDE: In light of the AARP's sell out on the Medicare
> >> bill this year,
it
> >> would seem more important then ever for some patient-
> >> based political organization to get into Washington,
> >> DC. DIF was going in this
direction
> >> but it never focused on the majority needs.
> >
> > Would that be because the majority "needs" are perfectly
> > satisfied by GM insulins? remember Jim, they ARE. it's
> > only a tiny minority who actually NEED animal derived
> > insulins, and whn push comes to shove, they CAN get
> > them, even if they live in the states.
> >

> >> So I rest my case,
> >
> > Actually, what you did was try to deflect your case onto
> > something completely different. I answered, but I wasn't
> > fooled.
>
> I never deflect.

You've even tried to deflect it further by attempting to
make someone (anyone) believe that you suckered ME into
"unwittingly" helping your cause. Jim, you're simply digging
a bigger and deeper hole for yourself.

I stand and fight.

And then you run away. Yu call it "shutting down a thread",
but in reality (the REAL reality) you run away.

But I use the opportunity to further
> the cause: That of some patient-based organization.

And you deflect (sorry, ATTEMPT to deflect) discussions away
from their original point when you know you're in the wrong.
This being a perfect example.

> And keep posting because I'm not done yet.

Oh, so YOU'RE not done? Well bugger me, Ive got to hang
around 'til it suits YOU? Keep on dreaming Jim.

Thanks as always,

Cop out city sign off.

Beav

Beav wrote:

> "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> ews.com...
>> Mary wrote:
>>
>> > For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were
>> > known at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to
>> > take over DIF even before it was offically formed. You
>> > were kept on the board to keep and eye on. The world
>> > knows your character now, by your own words.
>> > Resigned???? You were fired!
>>
>> Dear Mary,
>>
>> If you check your DIF bylaws, there is no provision
>> for abrupt
> termination.
>> Board members must be voted off the board of directors
>> and that never happened.
>>
>> What did happen was Dave had a temper tantrum, as usual,
>> and said "You're Fired!" But that was meaningless per the
>> bylaws. I submitted a letter of resignation to Dr. Bob
>> Blumenthal, the chairman of the board and CEO of
>> DIF. He accepted it with heavy heart and my now wife was
>> pleased as punch because she thought I was wasting
>> my time.
>>
>> This was volunteer work. So fired is impossible,
>
> Mmmmmm, you have a point Jim, getting fired from a
> voluntary organisation IS difficult, but it's becoming
> obvious that if it WERE possible, you'd have been out on
> your ear faster than a rat up a drainpipe, yet only
> yesterday you were asking me to JOIN you in an
> organisation you no longer

That's correct. I don't belong to DIF and I'd like to know
if you'd join.

> Now I don't know if you wre fired off, or if if you
> resigned, but making that offer seems a little strange
> wouldn't you say?

No. Dr Bob has asked for my input on how to proceed from
here. So I'm polling the public.

So what's your response to joining DIF?
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

"Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>

> > "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]
> > anews.com...

it

> >> Dear Mary,
> >>
> >> If you check your DIF bylaws, there is no provision for
> >> abrupt
> > termination.
> >> Board members must be voted off the board of directors
> >> and that never happened.
> >>
> >> What did happen was Dave had a temper tantrum, as
> >> usual, and said
"You're
> >> Fired!" But that was meaningless per the bylaws. I
> >> submitted a letter of resignation to Dr. Bob
> >> Blumenthal, the chairman of the board and CEO of
> >> DIF. He accepted it with heavy heart and my now wife
> >> was pleased as punch because she thought I was
> >> wasting my time.
> >>
> >> This was volunteer work. So fired is impossible,
> >
> > Mmmmmm, you have a point Jim, getting fired from a
> > voluntary
organisation
> > IS difficult, but it's becoming obvious that if it WERE
> > possible, you'd have been out on your ear faster than a
> > rat up a drainpipe, yet only yesterday you were asking
> > me to JOIN you in an organisation you no
longer

> That's correct. I don't belong to DIF and I'd like to know
> if you'd join.

That wasn't what you asked.

> > Now I don't know if you wre fired off, or if if you
> > resigned, but making that offer seems a little strange
> > wouldn't you say?
>
> No. Dr Bob has asked for my input on how to proceed from
> here. So I'm polling the public.

I don't see much evidence of that Jim. I mean let's face it,
I'm not the only person on this NG am I? I haven't seen you
make any similar offer to anyone else.

> So what's your response to joining DIF?

You saw my response and chose not to take it any further.
IIRC (and somehow I suspect I do) your reply to my
response was "No skin off my nose", but you failed
miserably to mention the fact tthat you weren't part of
the DIF anymore. Frankly, I'm at a loss as to what to
think about you anymore.

You say you're a friend of DG, when it's obviously not true.
You say you'll stab people in the back if it helps your
cause You say hypocrisy is acceptable. You ask me to join
"your" organisation when you don't even belong to it. You
fail to even mention you're not longer a part of it, but
write in such a way as to delude everyone into thinking you
are You then say it's no skin off your nose when I replied
that I wouldn't, which again is obviously not the case. You
"say" Dr Bob has asked for your input (but we've no evidence
of that) And finally you SAY you're polling the public when
in fact, only ONE person has been polled.

So tell me, what SHOULD I think?

Beav

Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:41:50 -0000, "Beav" wrote:

> "Judy" wrote

> http://profiles.yahoo.com/dggroves1

>> Link worked for me here at midnight.

worked for me too. :)

>> And thanks for it. I felt as if I knew Dave,

dave was 2-faced, so it didn't take long before i realized
that i didn't know dave

> I've probably thought more about DG this week than I've
> thought of anyone else Judy, and always with sadness.

think "courage" not sadness

bill

As he was valiant, I honour him...

Beav wrote:

> So tell me, what SHOULD I think?

God knows.

OK Beav,

Let's start over.

1) My wife doesn't want me to get involved with DIF.
This governs.

2) Dr Bob asked me for suggestions in an email discussing
Dave's passing.

3) I asked you if you thought you could ever join DIF now.

Since you use beef insulin and hated Dave with a passion,
you're a good place to start.

That's it.
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

"willbill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:41:50 -0000, "Beav" wrote:
>
> > "Judy" wrote
>
> > http://profiles.yahoo.com/dggroves1
>
> >> Link worked for me here at midnight.
>
> worked for me too. :)
>
> >> And thanks for it. I felt as if I knew Dave,
>
> dave was 2-faced, so it didn't take long before i realized
> that i didn't know dave
>
> > I've probably thought more about DG this week than I've
> > thought of anyone else Judy, and always with sadness.
>
> think "courage" not sadness

I fnd it sad when anyone goes before his time Bill. At 57
(or 59 depending on who's right) Dave went before his.

Beav

Me too Beav. I'm almost 58 and if I went tmw, my family would think I
died young. :)

--
Cheri
Type 2, no meds for now.

>I fnd it sad when anyone goes before his time Bill. At 57 (or 59
depending
>on who's right) Dave went before his.
>

>Beav

Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mary wrote:
>
> > For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were
> > known at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to
> > take over DIF even before it was offically formed. You
> > were kept on the board to keep and eye on. The world
> > knows your character now, by your own words.
> > Resigned???? You were fired!
>
> Dear Mary,
>
> If you check your DIF bylaws, there is no provision for
> abrupt termination. Board members must be voted off the
> board of directors and that never happened.
>
> What did happen was Dave had a temper tantrum, as usual,
> and said "You're Fired!" But that was meaningless per the
> bylaws. I submitted a letter of resignation to Dr. Bob
> Blumenthal, the chairman of the board and CEO of
> DIF. He accepted it with heavy heart and my now wife was
> pleased as punch because she thought I was wasting
> my time.
>
> This was volunteer work. So fired is impossible,

You were removed from the board, Jim and no one received
your claimed resignation. You'd better re-read the bylaws,
if you even bothered to keep them. It's was obvious to the
board that you had no interest in
DIF. You never followed though on anything you said you'd
do. As for your PR work, it should be obvious to all
that have read this thread that you did all you could
to sabotage DIF and promote yourself.

You've treated your involvement with DIF as some kind of
sick game. Peoples lives were at stake and your only
intention was to attempt to destroy an organization that
wanted to help diabetics survive. Who pays your salary, Jim?

Mary wrote:

> Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> message news:<[email protected]
> news.com>...
>> Mary wrote:
>>
>> > For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were
>> > known at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to
>> > take over DIF even before it was offically formed. You
>> > were kept on the board to keep and eye on. The world
>> > knows your character now, by your own words.
>> > Resigned???? You were fired!
>>
>> Dear Mary,
>>
>> If you check your DIF bylaws, there is no provision for
>> abrupt termination. Board members must be voted off the
>> board of directors and that never happened.
>>
>> What did happen was Dave had a temper tantrum, as usual,
>> and said "You're Fired!" But that was meaningless per the
>> bylaws. I submitted a letter of resignation to Dr. Bob
>> Blumenthal, the chairman of the board and CEO of
>> DIF. He accepted it with heavy heart and my now wife was
>> pleased as punch because she thought I was wasting
>> my time.
>>
>> This was volunteer work. So fired is impossible,
>
> You were removed from the board, Jim and no one received
> your claimed resignation. You'd better re-read the bylaws,
> if you even bothered to keep them.

Dear Mary,

Please email a copy of the board meeting minutes where I was
voted off the board. You and Dave don't make a quorum.

> It's was obvious to the board that you had no interest in
> DIF. You never followed though on anything you said you'd
> do. As for your PR work, it should be obvious to all
> that have read this thread that you did all you
> could to sabotage DIF and promote yourself.

That's not true. I'm still invited to visit Mr Sharma of USV-
India in India. We still communicate today. Dave had no
interest in meeting with Mr Sharma and I thought somebody
should make some effort to meet him while he was in the
States in 2001.

Next, you withheld your Canadian SDR work from Dave because
Collen Fuller didn't trust Dave. Dave blew a fuse when he
figured this out.

Finally, whatever anybody did was wrong for Dave. So why
bother to help him when he doesn't appreciate it.

> You've treated your involvement with DIF as some kind
> of sick game. Peoples lives were at stake and your only
> intention was to attempt to destroy an organization
> that wanted to help diabetics survive. Who pays your
> salary, Jim?

I never received a penny for work associated with DIF. It
was volunteer work and 100% gratis. I make my money in the
software industry totally independent of the health-care
industry and DIF.

And conspiracy theories were a figment of Dave's creative
imagination,
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

"Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>
> > So tell me, what SHOULD I think?
>
> God knows.

Well at least someone does.

> OK Beav,
>
> Let's start over.
>
> 1) My wife doesn't want me to get involved with DIF. This
> governs.

Ok.

> 2) Dr Bob asked me for suggestions in an email discussing
> Dave's passing.

Suggestions about what?

> 3) I asked you if you thought you could ever join DIF now.

The way you put your question implied that you were still
part of that organ and yet when I replied as I did, you
failed to mantion that you weren't (for whatever reason).
That in itself tells me all I need to know about the
organisation, that being it associates with devious people.
I'm not devious so that organisation and me won't ever
become as one.

> Since you use beef insulin and hated Dave with a passion,
> you're a good place to start.

Who says I hated him with a passion? You? Well let's just
clear that up right now.

I didn't hate Dave Groves, I DISAGREED with Dave Groves on
two issues. Now I KNOW you have difficulty in undersanding
that friends don't stab each other in the back, and I
understand that you're morally bankrupt, but don't put words
in MY mouth and don't start runours about me, or (to use a
Jim Dumass phrase) I'll shut you down.

Ok?

> That's it.

Indeed it is

Hi, My name is Sean Connor. I am David's half brother. I am saddened by the fact that a lot of people here think ill of my brother. What is worse, is that they are argueing their petty little indifferences in what is supposed to be an obituary thread, instead of trying to reflect. David was a fighter but, always fought to try to help people. David virtually went broke trying to help people. He had had some major problems with the human insulins which contributed to his ailing health. When he found out what was going on with the pharmacuticals, that's when he decieded he needed to take a stand for all Diabetics. He was in the process of researching our grandmother's history to find out how she survived pre-insulin diabetes in the hopes that it would shed some light for all diabetics.
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~abhu000/diabetes/granbess.html

He thought more about others than he thought about himself.
Let's all remember that and reflect on the goodness of
David. His last few years were tough on him, with the loss
of his eldest daughter. His health was going down hill since
then. His funds were diminishing quickly because he didn't
care about himself but, others. For those of you that are
interested, he turned 58 on Nov. 13, 2003. He had been in
the hospital since mid July and passed on Feb. 28, 2004.
David spent his last birthday, Christmas and New Year in ICU
with a packed open chest and tubes running in and out of him
in all directions. He was from Miami, FL. Had worked in
Boston, Atlanta, Miami and Birmingham. David had 2
daughters, Stacey and Dana. Stacey passed a few years back
and left a major emptyness in his life. If it weren't for
Dana, he would have been gone long ago. David and I shared
the same mother but, he lived with his father and I lived
with our mother. We both had kind of screwed up upbringings
and would get together and laugh at ourselves and how
unscrewed up we became.

Perhaps, some of this has cleared the air for a few and
caused a little closeness that some of you may have need.
Let's just remember, all he wanted was to help others.

Regards to all, Sean

"XSMCX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi, My name is Sean Connor. I am David's half brother. I
> am saddened by
the fact that a lot of people here think ill of my brother.

Sean, I'm surprised you've come to that concluson based on
what's been written in this thread. I can't see where anyone
has said they think ill of
DG. Sure some people didn't get along with him when he was
alive (me for one) but that's a LONG way from thnking
ill of someone.

What is worse, is that they are argueing their petty
little indifferences in what is supposed to be an obituary
thread, instead of trying to reflect. David was a fighter
but, always fought to try to help people. David virtually
went broke trying to help people. He had had some major
problems with the human insulins which contributed to his
ailing health. When he found out what was going on with
the pharmacuticals, that's when he decieded he needed to
take a stand for all Diabetics. He was in the process of
researching our grandmother's history to find out how she
survived pre-insulin diabetes in the hopes that it would
shed some light for all diabetics.
> http://www-
> unix.oit.umass.edu/~abhu000/diabetes/granbess.html
>
> He thought more about others than he thought about
> himself. Let's all
remember that and reflect on the goodness of David.
> His last few years were tough on him, with the loss of
> his eldest
daughter. His health was going down hill since then. His
funds were diminishing quickly because he didn't care about
himself but, others.
> For those of you that are interested, he turned 58 on Nov.
> 13, 2003. He
had been in the hospital since mid July and passed on Feb.
28, 2004. David spent his last birthday, Christmas and New
Year in ICU with a packed open chest and tubes running in
and out of him in all directions. He was from Miami, FL. Had
worked in Boston, Atlanta, Miami and Birmingham.
> David had 2 daughters, Stacey and Dana. Stacey passed a
> few years back
and left a major emptyness in his life. If it weren't for
Dana, he would have been gone long ago.
> David and I shared the same mother but, he lived with his
> father and I
lived with our mother. We both had kind of screwed up
upbringings and would get together and laugh at ourselves
and how unscrewed up we became.

> Perhaps, some of this has cleared the air for a few and
> caused a little
closeness that some of you may have need. Let's just
remember, all he wanted was to help others.

> Regards to all, Sean

Thank you for that Sean.

Best wishes

Beav

XSMCX wrote:

> Hi, My name is Sean Connor. I am David's half brother. I
> am saddened by the fact that a lot of people here think
> ill of my brother.

the one thing i think i know about dave was that a rage
burned to the inner depths of his soul over what the big
pharmas have done (and not done) with insulin this past 22
years (i.e. since the advent of rDNA insulin)

i never met dave in person

the last communication i had with dave was when he accused
me of killing other t1 diabetics

despite that, i think well of dave

bill t1 since '57

"Rage is the only quality which has kept me, or anybody I
have ever studied, writing columns for newspapers." Jimmy
Breslin (b. 1929), U.S. journalist, author

XSMCX wrote:

> Hi, My name is Sean Connor. I am David's half brother. I
> am saddened by the fact that a lot of people here think
> ill of my brother.

Hi Sean,

I probably have spent more in-person time with Dave then
any of the regular posters on MHD. I met Dave in January,
1994, at an ADA post grad course in Boston. I met his
daughters, Stacey and Dana in Atlanta in August, 1994, when
this proud father took them to a Braves baseball game. We
did the usual junk food at the game then went to
Underground Atlanta for dinner.

My relationship with Dave centered on diabetes issues. We
always had some lively discussion, often with opposing
viewpoints. Dave's debating style was harsh and usually
ruffled feathers. This is what most people are angry about.

In any case, I will miss the debates with Dave and am sad
that he's gone.

Best wishes,
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

what problem(s) did DGG have with Humulin that he didn't
have with animal insulin?

dave