Objective effects of bike on performance

[email protected] wrote:

> # The true intent of a stiff frame is to transfer energy efficiently
> # from the cyclist to the rear wheel. This implies that the designer
> # should minimize the amount of energy that goes into flexing
> # (straining) the frame. Some of this strain energy might be
> # recoverable (i.e., released in such a way as to add power to the
> # rear wheel). But we know of no measurements that show how much is
> # recovered. Thus, we assume that the best policy is to minimize
> # strain energy absorption in the frame.

> # First, note that the start-up (or hill-climbing) load generates the
> # highest level of energy storage. The energy stored here (79.5 in-lb)
> # represents about 4.0 percent of the rider's total energy output
> # under typical hill-climbing conditions. This might sound like a
> # small percentage, but in racing situations, even a slight reduction
> # in this percentage would be noticed.

>>> ISTM that there is evidence that either much of the strain energy
>>> is recovered, or at least that down tube strain energy does not
>>> significantly sap acceleration.

>>> My thought processes went like this:

>>> One could build some racing bikes with absurdly stiff down tubes,
>>> and race them in competition with more normal bikes. If the
>>> absurdly stiff frames didn't strongly dominate, that would be
>>> evidence that down tube energy absorption wasn't a strong effect.

>>> Then I thought: Oh yeah. That's been done. By Cannondale.

>>> Cannondale was successful enough with their early '90s (was it?)
>>> frames, with downtubes that looked like cannons. But they weren't
>>> so successful that everybody else jumped on the absolutely-massive-
>>> downtube wagon. They weren't seen as magic bullets - just another
>>> good, trendy bike for those who liked them.

>>> BTW, there is a completely opposite viewpoint out there. Jan
>>> Heine, in his "Bicycle Quarterly" magazine, compliments many frames
>>> for their mysterious "planing" action. It's a word he uses for
>>> some mystical synchronizing between frame flex and rider input. He
>>> maintains that if a frame doesn't have the so-far-unexplained flex,
>>> the rider never "gets on top of the gear" and is significantly
>>> slower. He's absolutely against super-rigid bikes, from what I can
>>> tell.

>>> I get the impression that, as in lots of bike technology, there's
>>> lots of "magic" at work. Some of the incantations involve
>>> ill-defined words and indescribable feelings. Other incantations
>>> involve inscrutable numerology. ;-)

>> In fact during the 80s and 90s most pros used to ride Italian steel
>> frames or French aluminum frames. The French aluminum frames were
>> known for being very soft. Pros who rode the French Vitus frames
>> were apparently not at any disadvantage over the stiffer Columbus
>> SLX and max tubed frames. If there was a proven advantage of stiff
>> vs soft frames everyone would ride the stiffer ones. In fact, many
>> pros would disguise the softer Vitus frames as the stiff steel
>> frames if their sponsors required them to ride the Italian stiff
>> stuff.

>> This argument has been around at least since I started riding in the
>> early 80s. Magazines would always compliment stiffer frames and ads
>> would always pronounce the superiority of their stiffer frames.
>> However, I haven't read any article that proves that stiffer is
>> better and my own experience is that I don't get any faster with a
>> stiffer or softer frame.

> As you see, impractical engineers and others have long supported the
> frame flex energy losses with nothing but hot air.

as usual jobst, you take one tiny part of the picture, then hold that up
as the whole story. while you are correct, there is effectively no
hysteresis in a metal frame and thus no frame loss, a frame that flexes
will have wheels out of plane at the time of flex, thus more scrub, thus
more energy dissipated. real simple if you can be bothered to get off
your high horse for just a second.

> I recall when
> there were the steel frames getting soft after a year or so of racing

red herring.

> and tubular tires needing to be bought in the off season to be aged".

rubber does indeed age - it continues to cross-link. the question is
whether that is beneficial...

> These all boil down to sales gimmicks and riders eat it with a spoon
> and retell what they have learned from "reliable sources".

what? like "reliable sources" that contend that metal fatigue can be
eliminated from stainless steel, a material with no fatigue endurance
limit? or "reliable sources" that contend that calculation of spoke
load is somehow a calculation evidencing wheel strength?

> It's like the old saw that Campagnolo Record brakes (the finest ever
> made both for use and maintenance) were not made to stop but rather to
> modulate speed of racers who didn't need to stop. If you believe
> that, you are unaware that for fast (descents and the like) the faster
> the harder the brakes are used. Because the complaining wimps had
> much cash, the bicycle industry upped the MA and gave us the less
> functionally good dual pivot brake (big cosine error and pad drag on
> climbs) increased the MA (by reducing pad clearance).
>
> We must relive all these ploys because the new generation of riders is
> no smarter than the old in detecting BS.

and thus, we have a knowledge gap into which "the bicycle wheel" can be
sold. when are you going to start correcting its fundamental errors?

On 2008-06-08, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
>> I am not quantifying. I hold that energy going into flexing the
>> frame is lost to propelling the bicycle forward.

> Please consider where this energy is going and what occurs at the end
> of the pedal stroke as downward force returns to zero. Let me suggest
> that the frame does not remain flexed, but rather returns to its
> original shape and in doing so returns the active foot to the position
> it would have with an infinitely rigid frame. It is that elastic
> return that restores the imagined loss to the input work.

Yes this is the most convincing theory-- basically that the frame
springing back helps you lift your foot back up again.

> From the discussions on this topic, one might imagine a frame that
> gets progressively farther out of no-load geometry with each stroke
> and absorbs work that must escape as heat. Neither of these occurs.

There's no reason the energy has to be lost as plastic deformation of
the frame or heat. It could easily be absorbed by the big bag of water
perched on the seat and connected to the pedals by flexible rods.

On Jun 6, 4:49 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Camilo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > That's exactly what he was asking us to assume - that his fitness and
> > weight were optimized.

> Sure, and so is yours.

Hey, I'm not saying it's true, just that it is the mental exercise he
asked us to participate in. I appreciate your wise insight though,
it's very original to discuss fitness and personal weight when asked
about equipment upgrades.

> >> Much more important is that no one has shown where elastic
> >> deformation absorbs energy (power) or that frame flex which is
> >> almost entirely lateral from off center pedal force, causes plastic
> >> deformation, the only mode where energy might be dissipated. Of
> >> course, such deformation would cause frame rapid failure.

> > I am not quantifying. I hold that energy going into flexing the
> > frame is lost to propelling the bicycle forward.

> Please consider where this energy is going and what occurs at the end
> of the pedal stroke as downward force returns to zero. Let me suggest
> that the frame does not remain flexed, but rather returns to its
> original shape and in doing so returns the active foot to the position
> it would have with an infinitely rigid frame. It is that elastic
> return that restores the imagined loss to the input work.

Some of the return flex motion moves the pedal and foot
laterally. Dot product of force and displacement is zero.
No work done turning the crank.

> From the discussions on this topic, one might imagine a frame that
> gets progressively farther out of no-load geometry with each stroke
> and absorbs work that must escape as heat. Neither of these occurs.

But not by me. Nowhere have I advanced that notion.

--
Michael Press

> On Jun 6, 4:49 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> "Camilo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> > That's exactly what he was asking us to assume - that his fitness and
>> > weight were optimized.

>> Sure, and so is yours.

> Hey, I'm not saying it's true, just that it is the mental exercise he
> asked us to participate in. I appreciate your wise insight though,
> it's very original to discuss fitness and personal weight when asked
> about equipment upgrades.

Camilo - we don't need to play games with him even if he initiates them.
Most people who race below Cat II gain more by training than by using better
equipment.

On Jun 7, 2:35 am, [email protected] wrote:

> Dear Z,
>
> I take it that you don't know of any actual tests that show bicycles
> accelerating faster with frames made of one material rather than
> another.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

I'm not Z, but here's a study from MIT that addresses energy to
maintain speed (not acceleration). Here's one quote:
"The aluminum bicycle required less energy to maintain the testing
speed for a short duration ride."

Abstract below. Quote:
=================
The Engineering of Sport 5 Vol. 2
619
Measuring the effect of transmitted road vibration on
cycling performance
A. Z. Hastings, K. B. Blair, and K. F. Culligan
Center for Sports Innovation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Cambridge, MA, USA
D. M. Pober
Department of Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts,
Amherst, MA, USA
ABSTRACT: In the cycling industry, the qualitative term “ride quality”
is used to describe
the effect of transmitted road vibrations on the cyclist. While
bicycle frames are made from a
range of materials, each purported to deliver a comfortable yet
efficient ride, the relationship
between road vibration and rider performance has not been
quantitatively determined. The
objectives of this study were to develop a system to characterize the
effect of transmitted road
vibration on rider performance for road racing bicycles and to
demonstrate the ability of the
test method to quantify the differences between three different
bicycle frames, each
constructed of a different material. We have developed a treadmill
based instrumentation
system to induce simulated road vibrations and measure both the
dynamic response of the
bicycle as well as the power output and steady-state-oxygen
consumption of the athlete. This
data provides a quantitative measure of the efficiency of a bicycle
subject to known vibrations
representative of those produced in road cycling. Using three
bicycles, identical except for
frame material (steel, aluminum and carbon fiber), we found that
different frame materials
damp road vibrations in different ways. The carbon fiber bike
transmits a broader spectrum of
frequency than the others with somewhat lower peak value. The aluminum
bicycle was found
to impart the largest acceleration values measured at the seat post.
The aluminum bicycle
required less energy to maintain the testing speed for a short
duration ride. These results
indicate the need for a quantitative measure that includes several
frequency components, and
occurs over different time scales in order to characterize the
vibration effects of road bicycle
performance.
========================
end quote

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:40:40 -0700 (PDT), "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

>subject to known vibrations
>representative of those produced in road cycling. Using three
>bicycles, identical except for
>frame material (steel, aluminum and carbon fiber), we found that
>different frame materials
>damp road vibrations in different ways. The carbon fiber bike
>transmits a broader spectrum of
>frequency than the others with somewhat lower peak value. The aluminum
>bicycle was found
>to impart the largest acceleration values measured at the seat post.
>The aluminum bicycle
>required less energy to maintain the testing speed for a short
>duration ride. These results
>indicate the need for a quantitative measure that includes several
>frequency components, and
>occurs over different time scales in order to characterize the

Dear AF,

Interesting--thanks.

It's extremely unlikely that the single carbon, steel, and aluminum
frames in the test were anywhere near identical in numerous
dimensions. Damon Rinard's tests of numerous frames showed wide
variations in flex for frames of the same material.

The study seems to be in a very large and very expensive volume,
judging by www.bookfinder.com, so I can only hope that someone can
find it and see what it says about questions like the following.

One obvious question is how the test results were obtained. That is,
for a short ride, they somehow calculated an actual rider's raw power
output, subtracted the power calculated at the rear wheel, and found
less power lost with the single aluminum frame that they tested than
with the single steel or carbon fiber.

The other obvious question is what actual power differences were
measured on the short ride test that found the single aluminum frame
to be more efficient than the carbon or steel frame? Ten watts, one
watt, a tenth of a watt? That is, what were the totals? Something like
290 watts raw minus 280 watts rear tire for aluminum?

Given the variation in frame building, how likely are the results of a
test of three single frames to be confirmed by broader testing?

Why no fourth titanium frame?

Did the short ride test account for the aerodynamic and rolling drag
changes with different frame shapes and weights?

Did the short ride test account for the differences in transmission
loss between the three bikes? Or were the frame differences so large
that they dwarfed such transmission differences?

Did the short ride test account for wind variation? Maybe it was done
indoors?

Maybe interlibrary loan will come up with the book, but I'm not too
optimistic.

Thanks again for finding that abstract--I'm very curious about the
test.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous message that
aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on the

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:05:42 -0700, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo.
com> wrote:

>Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous message that
>aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on the

Dear Tom,

Or you could use the page-down button. I hear that it's easier than
editing to suit some notoriously fussy posters.

And I was posting with more people in mind than you, whether you're
confused or not.

:)

In this case, the previous messages had the whole article without the
photos, but many posters have long since deleted the thread from their
browsers.

And lots of posters on RBT seem to be confused but unwilling to look
back up a thread.

Heck, many of us appear to be confused, even with the text staring us
in the face. (I'm just as guilty as anyone else.)

Part of my reluctance to spend much time trimming is that I'd hate to
encourage the bad habit on RBT of telling other posters how they ought
to write and what they ought to write about. I've done it myself, but
never seen it do a bit of good.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:05:42 -0700, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo.
> com> wrote:
>
>>Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous message
>>that
>>aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on the

> Or you could use the page-down button. I hear that it's easier than
> editing to suit some notoriously fussy posters.

Ahh, in other words you believe posting 5 times or more irrelevant material
than your own comments is good for the internet.

> And lots of posters on RBT seem to be confused but unwilling to look
> back up a thread.

So you're just being kind to them. I didn't realize that your laziness was
instead an advantage to us.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:05:42 -0700, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo.
>> com> wrote:
>>
>>> Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous
>>> message that
>>> aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on
>>> the previous message if I was in that much confusion.

>> Or you could use the page-down button. I hear that it's easier than
>> editing to suit some notoriously fussy posters.

> Ahh, in other words you believe posting 5 times or more irrelevant
> material than your own comments is good for the internet.
>
>> And lots of posters on RBT seem to be confused but unwilling to look
>> back up a thread.

> So you're just being kind to them. I didn't realize that your
> laziness was instead an advantage to us.

Carl and others don't seem capable of discerning the distinction between
snipping pertinent information and leaving paragraphs of old, needless text.

The former is often done in a devious way (to hide context and even alter
meaning); the latter is just plain laziness.

HTH

On Jun 21, 11:24 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carl and others don't seem capable of discerning the distinction between
> snipping pertinent information and leaving paragraphs of old, needless text.
>
> The former is often done in a devious way (to hide context and even alter
> meaning); the latter is just plain laziness.
>
> HTH

:) That was funny.

Hiding context on a threaded newsreader is like hiding a hundred
dollar bill under a thin piece of cellophane!

I'm sure one perennially confused, perennially complaining reader
doesn't understand that. But I think it's only one.

- Frank Krygowski

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:02:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jun 21, 11:24 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> Carl and others don't seem capable of discerning the distinction between
>> snipping pertinent information and leaving paragraphs of old, needless text.
>>
>> The former is often done in a devious way (to hide context and even alter
>> meaning); the latter is just plain laziness.
>>
>> HTH

>:) That was funny.
>
>Hiding context on a threaded newsreader is like hiding a hundred
>dollar bill under a thin piece of cellophane!
>
>I'm sure one perennially confused, perennially complaining reader
>doesn't understand that. But I think it's only one.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

The master appears to have an apprentice.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous message that
> aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on the

Carl suggests using the page down button.
I use the next message button.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
>> Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous message
>> that
>> aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on the

> Carl suggests using the page down button.
> I use the next message button.

The problem with that is that Carl has a lot of interesting stuff to say.
It's just difficult to find among all of the quoted ****.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> >
> >> Carl, is it too difficult to erase those parts of the previous message
> >> that
> >> aren't directly applicable to your message? I could always click on the

> > Carl suggests using the page down button.
> > I use the next message button.

> The problem with that is that Carl has a lot of interesting stuff to say.
> It's just difficult to find among all of the quoted ****.

Yes, he does. But when after paging down once with several more to go
and no new material I skip the message entirely.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> The problem with that is that Carl has a lot of interesting stuff to say.
>> It's just difficult to find among all of the quoted ****.

> Yes, he does. But when after paging down once with several more to go
> and no new material I skip the message entirely.

As do I. That's why I entered that criticism of his style.