Obrea Packages

mstkona

Sep 12, 2007
G'day all,

First time poster, long time reader. I was after some advice (I know new posters always take take take) I have been riding MTB for a few years now off and on and am wanting to get into road cycling as a fitness regime. And, I was looking at the packages that Obrea have for around $3k +/- I’m not sure which of these deals offers the best value. I will mainly be riding for fitness and I love the hills. Has anyone purchased one of these deals-helmets, shoes etc. I was thinking that the Marmolada looked like good value or are there better deals to be had? I'm also 6'2" 99KG so I'm quite heavy should I be looking at a particular type of road bike? Any advice most appreciated.

Michael

I would be inclined to say, if your wallet permits it, go to the next package up - the Vento. For a guy of your weight, I'd be concerned more about the wheels than the frame. In the case of either the Marmolada or the Vento, you're looking at Mavic Aksiums, which are by all reports extremely good value for money, as well as being pretty much indestructible - you should be fine. It is, however, important to select the correct frame size, and many manufacturers only cater to guys of a certain size. I'm also a big guy at 6'4, though I don't weigh much, and I found the Orbea size 60 to be extremely comfortable, but you will need to test his yourself - you may need bigger, depending mainly upon your preference and riding position.

On the subject of value-for-money, do keep in mind that Orbea is, at present, a very expensive brand. If you are looking for pure performance then your money may be better spent on one of the super-manufacturers like Giant or Trek. But, then again, it's like the difference between a BMW and a Ford - sure the Ford is probably faster, but sometimes that's just not the point.

Also, go for the bike you like the look of. I can't understate the importance of this - if you don't love the look of it, you won't ride it. Don't try and be high-minded about it, it's just a fact. In my humble opinion the Marmolada is godammned ugly whereas the Vento is a thing of pure beauty - but then again, it's just me - go for what you like.

As for the shoes / pedals etc. I went for a deal where I didn't purchase any of these items, but instead received their value as a discount from the bike. Then again this was only because I'd already bought all my equipment at the same store, and didn't need it - if you're a beginner then it's probably different.

Finally, the most important suggestion I can make here, on Orbeas or on bicycles in general, is SPEND AS MUCH AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE on the initial package. Trust me on this, it works out FAR cheaper in the end. Any money you put into the bike package is far better value than money you put into upgrading unsatisfactory components at a later stage (and this you WILL end up doing - it's addictive). Plus, a decent bike will hold you in good stead for many years, so consider it a long-term investment.

Have fun!

Thanks a lot Eddie,

I will definitely bear that in mind when I make (save up) my decision. Much appreciated.

Michael

Hi

Orbea are having an end of season runout sale at the moment - make sure you ask your bike shop to check it out for you :D