Obree comeback for hour record

limerickman said:
63x17.
I'd get perhaps two pedal strokes before bursting a lung!

I wish Obree well in his attempt..

i'd trash my knee on the second go round and i'm younger than him!

IIRC he used 53x12 the last time he set the record, which is bigger than most use for an attempt at this record and its less than 20 inches smaller than the one he'll be using. I saw him a few times ride time trials in the UK and he loves the big gear... Good luck to the lad.

Yakko said:
would be cool if he pulled it off!

It'd be really cool.

... it'd be an inspiration to a boozehound like me to get off my ar$e and get a racing license again. :D

nothing quite like a few pints after a 30 minute ride, these days i usually end up not having time for the ride part - next year (been saying that for 5)... :)

vspa said:
Didn't Moser set his record in his 40s ?

23 January 1984 Francesco Moser (32) Mexico City 51.15kph

15 January 1994 Francesco Moser (42) Mexico City 51.84kph

limerickman said:
63x17.
I'd get perhaps two pedal strokes before bursting a lung!

I wish Obree well in his attempt..
63:17, it's a 100" gear or nearly identical to a 52:14 with better chain wrap. Big sure, but not as big as it sounds for a long TT.

But I'm with you on wishing him luck!

-Dave

Saw the Obree movie the other night. I hope for his sake he has a good ride and works things out.

Got to love this guy.

I misquoted the article, it is actually a 67*13. I got the 3 and 7 back to front.

'The bike also features another Obree trademark, a huge gear: 138 inches (67x13) to be exact. He's been pedaling this on his evening training sessions, which typically last between two and two-and-a-half hours.'

wow i cant wait to see this he's had a brilliant career and this'll will just be amazing!

daveryanwyoming said:
63:17, it's a 100" gear or nearly identical to a 52:14 with better chain wrap. Big sure, but not as big as it sounds for a long TT.

But I'm with you on wishing him luck!

-Dave

52x14 pedalling at over 100rpm for 60 mins.

Its torture!

limerickman said:
52x14 pedalling at over 100rpm for 60 mins.

Its torture!

Well with the 67-13 he is training on, just 80 rpm will give 51.9 kmph ! !00 prm gives 68.4 kmph, which is closer to a flying 200 speed than an hour record one.

11ring said:
Well with the 67-13 he is training on, just 80 rpm will give 51.9 kmph ! !00 prm gives 68.4 kmph, which is closer to a flying 200 speed than an hour record one.

It was typo on my part - but well spotted.:)

Even 80rpm for 60mins is a massive undertaking.

A shame niether L.Armstrong or Ullrich ever attemted to break the hour record.

They were great time trialist.

What about Cancellara, could he do it?

sopas said:
A shame niether L.Armstrong or Ullrich ever attemted to break the hour record.

They were great time trialist.

What about Cancellara, could he do it?

The greats all had a crack at the hour : Merckx, Indurain, Rominger, most notably.

Canc could be a man who could have a serious crack at the hour.
He's got the power and his time trialling is second to none in my view.

Love to see him have a go at it

i think Cancellara is a bit too tall / big. That played against Indurain for example, remember is not in a straight line, during the turns inertia plays a role against the bigger guys