Obscure road bike companies?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ryanspeer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

I have a tendancy to love finding out about obscure companies with worthwhile components, frames, etc., that are "hidden treasures" of sorts. You know, the well-constructed frames that are every bit as good as some top-of-the-line brand name but have remained relatively undiscovered for whatever reasons.

Anybody know of any?

I came across Fetish Cycles on eBay and their frames seem well-constructed (judging by the photos), although I can't recall the frame weights. Their decals seem a bit low-quality, but beyond that they look like a unique company in the sense that I'd previously never heard of them.

Any others? Not restricted just to frames, but how about wheels? After-market components (brakes, derailleurs, cranks)?

Tags:

2. Eden

Eden New Member

How about this one from the good old Pacific NW - these guys build beautiful bikes - every bit as pretty as a Rivendell, but much more performance minded. -these guys build race ready frames.
    Vanilla Bicycles

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/

3. John M

John M New Member

I am pretty sure that Fetish is one of these companies that is rebranding mass produced, made in China carbon for the US market. Others include Token and Pedal Force, and there are more. The product may be fine, but these brands should not be confused with small production craftsman.

4. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

Interesting . . . I'd actually entertained getting one of their aluminum frames at one point, but didn't really care for the way the cable stops looked on the frame (i.e., odd location by the head tube, looked a bit flimsy, etc.). I'm generally a believer in the "you get what you pay for" concept and a $70 aluminum frame seemed a bit low in terms of getting a quality frameset. Still though I'd never heard of the company before and was kind of intruiged by them for a while.

5. ryanspeer

ryanspeer New Member

Those look awesome! I'm leaning toward trying something a bit more exotic (Ti and carbon), but those steel frames look beautiful - that's for sure!

Their site says they have a 22-month waiting list, too! Dang - how's that for a reputation keeping you busy!

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

If you want exotic, try Rue Sports. Brent Rüegamer's frames are amazing. He used to work for Calfee. His frames are made by him, and his tubes are custom made for him and spec'd according to his customer's needs. He happens to use the same defense grade CF that Trek chortled about in the TdF. Because he's so small in operation, and because of his good relationship with his CF supplier, he hasn't been affected by the CF shortage. If you want ultra light, he just released the world's lightest frame. He definitely thinks outta da box, as evidenced by this frame he made for a triathelete who travels with his bike a lot. I've seen Brent's work up close, and it's just as good as that from Parlee and Crumpton. Beautiful stuff.

No, I don't work for him, nor do I own one of his frames. I jez like his work.

7. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

Not completely unknown, but Fort frames (www.fortframes.com) and Miche components (www.miche.it). Gass forks, stems and seatposts (www.gass-project.com).

A good one also is Kult www.kultbike.com, they are Canadian.

8. chris davis

chris davis New Member