Observations of sponsored rides

Solvang Cyclist

Guest
Just rode the Solvang Prelude last Saturday - a hilly metric century (as
well as 50 and 25 mile routes.) It gave me a chance to reflect on some of
the people who enjoy our sport.

The metric started with a good climb then a turnaround and fast descent.
Since the 50 and 25 mile routes started in other directions, one would
hope that the only riders on the road where somewhat skilled.
Unfortunately, many were riding up the hill 2 and 3 abreast and ignoring
calls of "on your left" to allow faster riders to pass. Then there were
groups of 10 or more riders racing down the other side of the road
jockeying for position with each other around various turns - creating an
added danger since they were not allowing themselves room to maneuver
around slower riders on the decent.

Sadly a rider ended up in a ditch off the road on the downhill. I didn't
see it happen, but I was told he was quite messed up and he was taken by
ambulance. I can only speculate that he either was riding too fast down
the hill for his skills (or condition of his bike) or more likely he was
forced out of control by the "want-a-be" racers.

I hope that the readers of this newsgroup consider how their attitude on
the road affects others - whether it be directly by causing accidents
and/or inconvenience, or indirectly by tarnishing the reputation of
riders in general. I've seen too much bad behavior on rides of late and
it can make it more difficult for all of us when car drivers get
frustrated with one cyclist's actions and then may take it out on the
next rider they see.

On a more positive note: It was a great weekend for riding here: clear
blue skies, temps in the low to mid 70's. A couple of friends came for
the ride and stayed at my place overnight. We did a shorter 40 miles
yesterday to make it an even 100 for the weekend - all the while being
thankful that in early November we had to worry more about sunscreen than
cold weather gear. <grin>

Cheers,
David

Solvang Cyclist wrote:

> I hope that the readers of this newsgroup consider how their attitude on
> the road affects others -

etc.

Post on rec.bicycles.soc

Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote in
news:eek:[email protected]:

> Solvang Cyclist wrote:
>
>> I hope that the readers of this newsgroup consider how their attitude
>> on the road affects others -

> etc.
>
> Post on rec.bicycles.soc

Actually, it was a mistake posting it here. I had intended to post on rbm.

Sorry for the off topic.

Cheers,
David