Observations.

William Higley

Guest
I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I am
somewhat surprised and saddened that so many people seem willing to share (shove) their opinions
upon one another.

I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet to
find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my opinions. If I
want this kind of BS I can hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.

I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
interesting stories, and a chance to relax.

I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any sacred cows by voicing
these thoughts.

William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50

(Two weeks to the STP ~ I'll be the pudgy old fart that BS's with everyone and has a smile from
ear to ear)

It's a hard lesson (for me anyway) but don't even open the topics you know to be B.S.

"Hope springs eternal", but you can't make an A.H. twice!!!

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I am
> somewhat surprised and saddened that so many people seem willing to share (shove) their opinions
> upon one another.
>
> I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet to
> find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my opinions. If
> I want this kind of BS I can hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.
>
> I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> interesting stories, and a chance to relax.
>
> I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any sacred cows by voicing these
> thoughts.
>
> William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50

Mr. Higley, I hear you loud and clear! But I am not going to let the likes of Mr. Sherman have his
way with this newsgroup to expound one stupid view after another. The trick is to notice the OT
at the heading of the subject of the thread. That stands for Off Topic and should be a warning
to one and all. If I were you I would never open those threads. Then you can enjoy relaxing on
a.r.b.r. and not be perturbed by assholes like Mr. Sherman and myself.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I am
> somewhat surprised and saddened that so many
people
> seem willing to share (shove) their opinions upon one another.
>
> I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet to
> find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my opinions. If
> I want this kind of BS I
can
> hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.
>
> I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> interesting stories, and a chance to relax.

Tom Blum's right. Don't read what you know you don't want to read. If you don't want to read off
topic (O.T.) material then don't open the threads so labeled. And if you see a topic such as the
recent "O.T. and Flammable" you are guaranteed that opinion, almost always political, is being
"shoved" around. If that upsets you then my best advice would be to advert your eyes and move on to
a topic you find relaxing and informative.

There are also filters available to you for filtering out selected posters and topics so you won't
even see them. If you aren't familiar with these filters just ask for help.

There's no requirement in the newsgroup that you must read everything.

skip

Obi Wan once thought as you did young Skywalker.

Originally posted by William Higley
I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I am
somewhat surprised and saddened that so many people seem willing to share (shove) their opinions
upon one another.

I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet to
find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my opinions. If I
want this kind of BS I can hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.

I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
interesting stories, and a chance to relax.

I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any sacred cows by voicing
these thoughts.

William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50

(Two weeks to the STP ~ I'll be the pudgy old fart that BS's with everyone and has a smile from
ear to ear)

> I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I am
> somewhat surprised and saddened that so many people seem willing to share (shove) their opinions
> upon one another.
>
> I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet to
> find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my opinions. If
> I want this kind of BS I can hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.
>
> I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> interesting stories, and a chance to relax.
>
> I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any sacred cows by voicing these
> thoughts.

A couple of observations about your observations.

USENET is a soapbox for anyone that wants a platform. As you can see you are no exception.
(Neither am I).

This NG has lots of opinions some are even on topic.

There may be some that post on the NG that are a constant irritation.

You might want to look into Newsreader software that allows the option to. filter There may be some
folks that garner the distinction of an immediate 'Plonk' into the bozo bin. Topics that shed no
interest to you can with the right newsreader be filtered out of existance.

Life is too short to waste it reading NG drivel. With a filter, you get to decide what is drivel.

The newsreader that I use is Gravity. It is free. With a click of a mouse certain authors are
relegated to the bozo bin (That is until Martin changes his email address again). If a topic
is political, way off the subject or causes my blood to boil, another mouse click and I never
see it again.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus is right on. This newsgroup has those who view it as a forum free to spew anything that they can chug up. We are all guilty of posting OT sometimes. Some others also enjoy being trolls.

Definitely use filters for thism group. Later, you will learn whose posts are deleteable.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says... Last December, I
posted this 'early new years resolution'. I think I have brought honor to that pledge. (at least
most of the time). IIRC, I did not get very many takers on the solicitation to join in.

"I resolve to not inflict upon this newsgroup or participate in any thread that in a way might
attempt to impose personal biases or bigoted opinions on topics that have no direct relationship to
recumbents. These include Environmental issues, economics and politics (Especially left wing or
right wing). Anyone care to join me? BTW personal biases or bigoted opinions _on_ recumbents are
still fair game."

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus just in case I am NOT on your bozo list yet and you get to read this....can you be so kind as
to give us a link to the "Gravity" Newsreader. Lately the SPAM has got so bad here using O.E. that I
thought ARBR had been removed from my news server. We should not have to do a search through 100s of
SPAM ads looking for a message related to bents. TIA
------------------------------------
says...

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says... Last December, I
> posted this 'early new years resolution'. I think I have brought honor to that pledge. (at least
> most of the time). IIRC, I did not get very many takers on the solicitation to join in.
>
> "I resolve to not inflict upon this newsgroup or participate in any thread that in a way might
> attempt to impose personal biases or bigoted opinions on topics that have no direct relationship
> to recumbents. These include Environmental issues, economics and politics (Especially left wing or
> right wing). Anyone care to join me?

I did, I just never told you (^:

> BTW personal biases or bigoted opinions _on_ recumbents are still fair game."

Seems fair. Although, the primary objective tends to make me kinder on the recumbent
subjects as well.

--rorschandt <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]">

--
<A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

It's not an OE thing, it's a newserver thing. I use OE, and see very few spam posts, really
negligible. My newserver is supernews...

> Cletus just in case I am NOT on your bozo list yet and you get to read this....can you be so kind
> as to give us a link to the "Gravity"
Newsreader.
> Lately the SPAM has got so bad here using O.E. that I thought ARBR had
been
> removed from my news server. We should not have to do a search through
100s
> of SPAM ads looking for a message related to bents. TIA
> ------------------------------------
> "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]
> says...
> > > I find it rather interesting to follow the various political
> conversations
> > > in this newsgroup. I am somewhat surprised and saddened that so many
> people
> > > seem willing to share (shove) their opinions upon one another.
> > >
> > > I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the
> Fabrizio
> > > postings. I have yet to find one of the political based topics to shed
> any
> > > new light on anything or change my opinions. If I want this kind of BS
> can
> > > hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.
> > >
> > > I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> > > interesting stories, and a chance to
relax.

> > > I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any
> sacred
> > > cows by voicing these thoughts.
> >
> > A couple of observations about your observations.
> >
> > USENET is a soapbox for anyone that wants a platform. As you can see you
> are no exception.
> > (Neither am I).
> >
> > This NG has lots of opinions some are even on topic.
> >
> > There may be some that post on the NG that are a constant irritation.
> >
> > You might want to look into Newsreader software that allows the option
to.
> filter There may be
> > some folks that garner the distinction of an immediate 'Plonk' into the
> bozo bin. Topics that
> > shed no interest to you can with the right newsreader be filtered out of
> existance.
> >
> > Life is too short to waste it reading NG drivel. With a filter, you get
> decide what is
> > drivel.
> >
> > The newsreader that I use is Gravity. It is free. With a click of a
mouse
> certain authors are
> > relegated to the bozo bin (That is until Martin changes his email
address
> again). If a topic is
> > political, way off the subject or causes my blood to boil, another mouse
> click and I never see
> > it again.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> > - Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "I resolve to not inflict upon this newsgroup or participate in any thread that in a way might
> attempt to impose personal biases or bigoted opinions on topics that have no direct relationship
> to recumbents. These include Environmental issues, economics and politics (Especially left wing or
> right wing). Anyone care to join me? BTW personal biases or bigoted opinions _on_ recumbents are
> still fair game."

Your resolution carries things too far and is not necessary. The letters OT at the top of a thread
says it all. But I do agree with your thought about the rest of the threads, i.e., they should
somehow relate to recumbents. However, I find only about 20 % of the recumbent related threads of
interest and the rest to be the proverbial B.S. Also I hate stupid banter and there are plenty of
threads that are nothing but that. On the other hand I have never yet met an OT thread that I did
not enjoy. For my part though I do promise never to get off topic on any thread that is not so
labeled. That seems fair to me.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It's not an OE thing, it's a newserver thing. I use OE, and see very few spam posts, really
> negligible. My newserver is supernews...

what he said. I use the German server mentioned earlier in this thread and had no idea there was a
spam problem in the NG. Now on my email I am deluged despite filters.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I
> > am somewhat surprised and saddened that so many people seem willing to share (shove) their
> > opinions upon one another.
> >
> > I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet
> > to find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my
> > opinions. If I want this kind of BS I can hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or
> > listen to the news.
> >
> > I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> > interesting stories, and a chance to relax.
> >
> > I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any sacred cows by voicing
> > these thoughts.
> >
> > William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50
>
> Mr. Higley, I hear you loud and clear! But I am not going to let the likes of Mr. Sherman have his
> way with this newsgroup to expound one stupid view after another. The trick is to notice the
> OT at the heading of the subject of the thread. That stands for Off Topic and should be a
> warning to one and all. If I were you I would never open those threads. Then you can enjoy
> relaxing on a.r.b.r. and not be perturbed by assholes like Mr. Sherman and myself.

Please note that I have never started an off-topic political thread. I only respond to those who
"expound one stupid view after another". So if people do not want to see me posting on off-topic
political threads, I suggest that they do not start them, or continue to contribute to them.

> Cletus just in case I am NOT on your bozo list yet and you get to read this....can you be so kind
> as to give us a link to the "Gravity" Newsreader. Lately the SPAM has got so bad here using O.E.
> that I thought ARBR had been removed from my news server. We should not have to do a search
> through 100s of SPAM ads looking for a message related to bents. TIA
> ------------------------------------

You like Martin keep changing your email address. Martin is still and forever in my Bozo bin. You
have never been.

Here are two sources:

http://cws.internet.com/reviews/news-gravity5.html

http://www.schaft.com/ftp/Win95/grav25.exe

You may also want to use the CIS free newsserver since they are on top of much of the spam.

I have Gravity set to filter out anything cross-posted to more that three NGs.
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Hi, I enjoyed reading your message and I hope you will excuse me for a little chuckle that I had.

EVERY sentence began with ' I '.

Trust me now, I'm not the grammar police and I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from this
observation, its just that I happened to notice it.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

************************************

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I find it rather interesting to follow the various political conversations in this newsgroup. I am
> somewhat surprised and saddened that so many people seem willing to share (shove) their opinions
> upon one another.
>
> I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the Fabrizio postings. I have yet to
> find one of the political based topics to shed any new light on anything or change my opinions. If
> I want this kind of BS I can hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.
>
> I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> interesting stories, and a chance to relax.
>
> I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any sacred cows by voicing these
> thoughts.
>
> William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50
>
> (Two weeks to the STP ~ I'll be the pudgy old fart that BS's with everyone and has a smile from
> ear to ear)

[email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> EVERY sentence began with ' I '."

Lewis, when you pointed that out it reminded me of my Plan II (honors program) freshman English
professor at THE University (University of Texas at Austin).

She started EVERY sentence and phrase with "huh".

Bent content...... Are you still using the "beta" tire that Hugh sent you to test?

I am commuting on my GRR. I don't use sandals but I do have a neat, loud, floral print "scrub"
from ScrubMed that I wear. This is topped off by a $.87 painter's cap worn under my well traveled
Giro helmet that has a Maxi-Pad in front and Light-days on the sides replacing the long gone OEM
foam pads.

Jerry

Please notice that I started out with something other than "I". It seems that I was writing while
under the influence. I (oops there it is again) was sitting back drinking a large glass of Paisano
and reading the days postings.

I (damn it) appreciate your comments. During the normal course of my writing endeavors I review my
work for readability and style errors.

Perhaps an experiment is in order. You could pour yourself a large glass of Paisano and then reread
my original posting. It might shed some light on my mental state at the time of writing. In fact, I
(notice how I hid this one) would be interested to find out what the beverage of choice of bent
riders is when they are perusing the newsgroup.

William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 "Paisano" "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I enjoyed reading your message and I hope you will excuse me for a little chuckle that I had.
>
> EVERY sentence began with ' I '.
>
> Trust me now, I'm not the grammar police and I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from this
> observation, its just that I happened to notice it.
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Lewis.
>
> ************************************
>
> "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I find it rather interesting to follow the various political
conversations
> > in this newsgroup. I am somewhat surprised and saddened that so many
people
> > seem willing to share (shove) their opinions upon one another.
> >
> > I enjoy the humorous topics, the informative topics, and even the
Fabrizio
> > postings. I have yet to find one of the political based topics to shed
any
> > new light on anything or change my opinions. If I want this kind of BS I
can
> > hang out at the water cooler, read the paper, or listen to the news.
> >
> > I, as I suspect many others, come to this site for information on recumbents, a bit of humor,
> > interesting stories, and a chance to relax.
> >
> > I sure you will all let me know if I have kicked the **** out of any
sacred
> > cows by voicing these thoughts.
> >
> > William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50
> >
> > (Two weeks to the STP ~ I'll be the pudgy old fart that BS's with
everyone
> > and has a smile from ear to ear)

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Perhaps an experiment is in order. You could pour yourself a large glass
of
> Paisano and then reread my original posting. It might shed some light on
my
> mental state at the time of writing. In fact, I (notice how I hid this
one)
> would be interested to find out what the beverage of choice of bent riders is when they are
> perusing the newsgroup.

I (is it contageous?) normally is on coffee (not decaf'd, mind you!). But I'd prefer Laphroaig
during the winter, and Aberlour or Oban in the summertime. But my posts would be even more
unreadable if I surrendered to my vice.

I ;-) ride a SWB quasilow. Torben

> Hi, I enjoyed reading your message and I hope you will excuse me for a little chuckle that I had.
>
> EVERY sentence began with ' I '.
>
> Trust me now, I'm not the grammar police and I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from this
> observation, its just that I happened to notice it.
>
> Kind regards.

Somehow Lewis managed to acquire 7 "I's" and one "me" in three (or is it four) sentences.

- Bellaire, TX USA -