Obtaining a road bike second hand

OzPundit

New Member
Jul 12, 2005
Gday all,

I want to start riding seriously and have been using my mountain bike with slicks for road riding for the last couple of years. I think it is now time to move up to a roadbike, but the question is to go for a new bottom of the line (Trek 1000 or the like) or wait ages and find a good second hand one. Due to the changers and gears etc on the low level bikes not being terribly good, I think the second option is the best. But the main question is where to get one, keeping in mind I would like something ~$1000. I would be between a 54-56 cm frame and so that seems pretty common, but second hand bikes are very hard to find. My local bike stores don't really deall with second hand bikes, and want to sell me a new low level bike. I have been looking on ebay but good bikes there are hard to find.

So, where is it best to find these second hand bikes (surely people have them in their sheds not being used) or should I just go for a low level bike with Sora shifters?

Thanks
Alistair
Alistair

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:35:57 +1000, OzPundit
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gday all,
>
>I want to start riding seriously and have been using my mountain bike
>with slicks for road riding for the last couple of years. I think it
>is now time to move up to a roadbike, but the question is to go for a
>new bottom of the line (Trek 1000 or the like) or wait ages and find a
>good second hand one. Due to the changers and gears etc on the low
>level bikes not being terribly good, I think the second option is the
>best. But the main question is where to get one, keeping in mind I
>would like something ~$1000. I would be between a 54-56 cm frame and
>so that seems pretty common, but second hand bikes are very hard to
>find. My local bike stores don't really deall with second hand bikes,
>and want to sell me a new low level bike. I have been looking on ebay
>but good bikes there are hard to find.

Even low-end new roadies are pretty good these days. A Trek 1000
or 1200 has some pretty nice gear, and a frame waranty which is
worth having.

budget?

'we' love giving free/inane advice on buying bikep0rn :D

same(ish budget):

http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod438.htm

Carl Brewer said:
Even low-end new roadies are pretty good these days. A Trek 1000
or 1200 has some pretty nice gear, and a frame waranty which is
worth having.

I went with a Trek 1200 mainly becaue it already had the holes needed to mount a rear rack.

One day I may well take all the commuting stuff of my bike and see what she rides like naked :-D
--
Cheers
Euan

OzPundit <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, where is it best to find these second hand bikes (surely people
> have them in their sheds not being used) or should I just go for a low
> level bike with Sora shifters?

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with Sora? It's not
the lightest groupset of course, but I'm finding it works just great. I
have Sora on my most neglected bike and it seems to be standing up just
fine so far. I have Ultegra on another bike, and aside from the
different shifting method (Sora uses a button to shift to smaller
sprockets) the Ultegra stuff might shift a bit smoother and the
drivetrain as a whole is maybe a bit quieter.

It did take me some adjusting to get the Sora stuff working smoothly,
but I blame that on lack of care by the LBS that sold it to me.

--
..dt
1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

EuanB wrote:
> Carl Brewer Wrote:
> >
> > Even low-end new roadies are pretty good these days. A Trek 1000
> > or 1200 has some pretty nice gear, and a frame waranty which is
> > worth having.

> I went with a Trek 1200 mainly becaue it already had the holes needed
> to mount a rear rack.
>
> One day I may well take all the commuting stuff of my bike and see what
> she rides like naked :-D

faster!

The 1200 these days is around the same spec as my 2003 1400 (now my
rainbike :) )

OzPundit wrote:
> Gday all,
>
> I want to start riding seriously and have been using my mountain bike
> with slicks for road riding for the last couple of years. I think it
> is now time to move up to a roadbike, but the question is to go for a
> new bottom of the line (Trek 1000 or the like) or wait ages and find a
> good second hand one. Due to the changers and gears etc on the low
> level bikes not being terribly good, I think the second option is the
> best. But the main question is where to get one, keeping in mind I
> would like something ~$1000. I would be between a 54-56 cm frame and
> so that seems pretty common, but second hand bikes are very hard to
> find. My local bike stores don't really deall with second hand bikes,
> and want to sell me a new low level bike. I have been looking on ebay
> but good bikes there are hard to find.
>
> So, where is it best to find these second hand bikes (surely people
> have them in their sheds not being used) or should I just go for a low
> level bike with Sora shifters?
>
> Thanks
> Alistair
> Alistair

Mate,

If you are interested...have the following for sale.

Somec Frame hand made (Italian made - steel columbus tubing -
multishaped top tube etc
Columbus muscle forks (full carbon).
Campag Veloce 10sp shifters, rear der (brand new).
Chorus 10s Front der.
Deda bars and stem.
Chorus 10sp cranks and b/b.
Shimano Rx100 brakes (the weak point of the bike).
Mavic Rims Centaur Hubs 32spoke etc...

Very nice bike, candy red in colour 54.5cm bike - is my wifes. - never
crashed.

Have photos etc. Looking around the 1200 mark.

If interested...email me at

Stuart DOT Passmore AT riotinto DOT com