Occupation irrelevant

Andrew Price

Guest
An incident* on a morning ride the other day caused me to reflect on one of our characteristics
as cyclists.

We usually don't know or care about the occupation (day or night job) of our companions, often of
long standing, in the bunch.

Sure, you probably know their coffee preference, frame size, favourite jersey - but what they spend
the next x hours doing to earn a living ? - irrelevant!

and a good thing too ! - best Andrew

*Riding through sweeping downhill corners, one rider gets into a contretemps with a car driver over
who owns which lane, each pull up and start name calling, potential road rage incident, guy that we
have all ridden with for years pulls out and flashes his badge indicating the rank of sergeant with
the state's finest, points out the error of both the cyclists and the drivers ways, admonishes each
of them to do better in future, and wishes each well on their way. Everyone similes, rides on and
finds it curious that none of us had any idea...

In article <[email protected]>, Andrew Price
<[email protected]> wrote:

> An incident* on a morning ride the other day caused me to reflect on one of our characteristics as
> cyclists.
>
> We usually don't know or care about the occupation (day or night job) of our companions, often of
> long standing, in the bunch.
>
> Sure, you probably know their coffee preference, frame size, favourite jersey - but what they
> spend the next x hours doing to earn a living ? - irrelevant!
>
> and a good thing too ! - best Andrew
>

> *Riding through sweeping downhill corners, one rider gets into a contretemps with a car driver
> over who owns which lane, each pull up and start name calling, potential road rage incident, guy
> that we have all ridden with for years pulls out and flashes his badge indicating the rank of
> sergeant with the state's finest, points out the error of both the cyclists and the drivers ways,
> admonishes each of them to do better in future, and wishes each well on their way. Everyone
> similes, rides on and finds it curious that none of us had any idea...

Good police work.