Ocotillo Thorn Puncture Proof tires?

Alex887

Guest
I did some riding out in Anza Borrego state park where I
hike alot (yes, I stayed on the jeep trails) but came away
with 2 flat tires, riddled with those darn cactus thorns.
The thorns are not too strong, just extremely sharp and
slide into my tire/tube with ease. Is there any way to
minimize cactus thorn punctures? TIA Marc

"alex887" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I did some riding out in Anza Borrego state park where I
> hike alot (yes, I stayed on the jeep trails) but came away
> with 2 flat tires, riddled with those darn cactus thorns.
> The thorns are not too strong, just extremely sharp and
> slide into my tire/tube with ease. Is there any way to
> minimize cactus thorn punctures? TIA Marc

The obvious is to steer clear. Other than that there's not
much that will stop a cactus thorn though Slime helps.

Gary

alex887 wrote:
> I did some riding out in Anza Borrego state park where I
> hike alot (yes, I stayed on the jeep trails) but came away
> with 2 flat tires, riddled with those darn cactus thorns.
> The thorns are not too strong, just extremely sharp and
> slide into my tire/tube with ease. Is there any way to
> minimize cactus thorn punctures? TIA Marc

Um, Ocotillo? >
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jfk3w/travel/bbnp_ocotillo.html

How can you run one of those over? I'd like to see that.

Did you perhaps mean Jumping Cholla?
> http://azuswebworks.com/html/tbcholla.htm

The Chollas are the worst culprits in the A-B desert, but
there are plenty of types of barrel cactus that can
puncture tires.

Try Slime tubes. They work well for those types of small
punctures.

Miles

Ooops, sorry I meant cholla cactus (near town of Ocotillo).

I didn't notice running any over but after a day of riding
near them I had 20 or so thorns in each tire. Seemed odd
that as soon as I got off the bike the tires were flat
within a few minutes.

"miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> alex887 wrote:
> > I did some riding out in Anza Borrego state park where I
> > hike alot (yes,
> > stayed on the jeep trails) but came away with 2 flat
> > tires, riddled with those darn cactus thorns. The thorns
> > are not too strong, just extremely sharp and slide into
> > my tire/tube with ease. Is there any way to minimize
> > cactus thorn punctures? TIA Marc
> >

> Um, Ocotillo? >
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jfk3w/travel/bbnp_ocotillo.html

> How can you run one of those over? I'd like to see that.
>
> Did you perhaps mean Jumping Cholla?
> > http://azuswebworks.com/html/tbcholla.htm
>
> The Chollas are the worst culprits in the A-B desert, but
> there are plenty of types of barrel cactus that can
> puncture tires.
>
> Try Slime tubes. They work well for those types of small
> punctures.
>

> Miles

"alex887" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I did some riding out in Anza Borrego state park where I
> hike alot (yes, I stayed on the jeep trails) but came away
> with 2 flat tires, riddled with those darn cactus thorns.
> The thorns are not too strong, just extremely sharp and
> slide into my tire/tube with ease. Is there any way to
> minimize cactus thorn punctures? TIA Marc

We ride on a trail that guarantees thorn punctures. My
friends run slime. I run homemade Stan's setup with homemade
latex mix. I stopped have have thorn and pinch flats. I do
have occassional slow leaks from thorns. I just squirt more
latex through the value stem. That stops it quick. Newbies
who join us for that trail either stop coming or get slime.