OCR 3 or Roubaix

G

Okay it had to happen, but whilst going around the cycle shops trying to get a price on an OCR 3, I took a fancy to a Claude Butler Roubaix.

It seems to me that if I get a Roubaix I'll get more bike for less money, but are the any problems with the Claude Butler that I should now about ?

Never seen one before. What are the specs? and after sales support?

Vo2 This is the specs on the Roubaix

B.B Axle / Set: Sealed Roller Bearing
Brake Levers: Shimano STI Racing Levers
Brakes: Dual Pivot Tektra
Chain: KMC
Chainset: Mega Vantage
Fork / Colour: Ahead Straight Blade Aero Profile
Frame / Colour: Compact Geometry Aero Profile Alloy
Frame sizes: 21” (53.5cm), 22” (56cm), 23” (58.5cm)
Freewheel: Shimano 7 Speed Cassette
Gear Levers: Shimano STI Racing Levers
Gears Front: Shimano Sora
Gears Rear: Shimano Sora
Handlebars: ITM Europa Racing Cane Creek ZST
Headset: Semi Integrated Oversize
Hub Front / Rear: QR front and rear
Pedals: Metal cage ATB
Rims: Alloy Aero Profile Stylus
Saddle: Selle Italia Trimatic
Seat Clamp: Alloy
Seat Pillar / Bolt: Alloy Micro Adjust
Stem: Ahead Alloy Racing
Tube: 700c
Tyres: 700c X 23 Dual Compound

At the moment it's 80% towards the Giant ,especially after going to Cycle Review, maybe I should have gone the first before bothering you here.

Thanks anyway

Laz

Yep, the Giant gets my vote too. Just remember to drop the toe straps and get yaself proper pedals. ;D

Well i dont know the other brand but giant sounds good but what model would suite you depends on you needs/wants and asperations. eg Sora is 8spd so you could not race and keep up with racers (they will have 9speed shimano systems) and sora is the heaviest.) im not dissing sora or the OCR3 im just saying if you want to do more /go faster etc your bike is not for you , i personally always go for the mid range (shimano 105) though with my new bike i might get ultegra it depends.

so what do you plan to use your bike for?

Nicholas

I want a road bike mainly just to be able to keep on riding when the weather gets bad, this last winter has been wet wet wet and trying to go off road has been a nightmare, because I've been putting so many miles on the road and you guys have been passing me with ease I've decided that I want some of that action.

Once I get a road bike I think I'll take a look at joining a cycle club but if it's a race only club then they are not going to want me.

Just as a matter of interest, in anticipation of a road bike I've been killing myself climbing every hill that I can find trying to strengthen my legs even more. Is that the way to go or should I just wait till I get the bike to find out what I need.

One last thing I'd like to say to all shop owners

Show some interest in your customers

I know that I'm no cycling pro but if I go into a shop and ask some questions please have the decency to look up when you answer. So far there's only been one shop that I would call friendly and approachable.
      I know this last thing is slightly off thread but I had to get it off my chest.

I want a road bike mainly just to be able to keep on riding when the weather gets bad, this last winter has been wet wet wet and trying to go off road has been a nightmare, because I've been putting so many miles on the road and you guys have been passing me with ease I've decided that I want some of that action.

Once I get a road bike I think I'll take a look at joining a cycle club but if it's a race only club then they are not going to want me.

Just as a matter of interest, in anticipation of a road bike I've been killing myself climbing every hill that I can find trying to strengthen my legs even more. Is that the way to go or should I just wait till I get the bike to find out what I need.

he he when i before i got my road bike i was riding my mtb on the road on a 140k ride and was going up hill i was passed by a roady. he just sliped by and was cruising with (apperant) ease. I gave it every thing to try to follow him ;D ;D , no way hosay :D. thats when i wanted a road bike. a Word of WARNING THOUGH: Road bikes are ADDICTIVE you will find you use you mtb less and less and less. well i did. well if you ride every day/ most days i would get a giant with 105 instead of sora what do you blokes think? but if you are a weekend warrior/wimp ;D jk Sora is fine also if you are a slow coach ,(no offence)

Also MTB riding is gerally harder so you should already have a good fitness base i would say. though road bikes are a different bease and it will take you a bit to get used to it (lots faster)

Lazarus, those hard hills that you did on your MTB will pay off. Once you get your roadie, you'll lose the urge to ride slow, and soon enough your muscles will be used to the speed.

Yep, the Giant gets my vote too. Just remember to drop the toe straps and get yaself proper pedals. ;D

I've been thinking about clips and it's going take a big leap of faith to try them :), the idea of attaching myself to a bike sends shivers down my spine :eek:

CLIPS arr yes, it is certainly different too normal pedals but once you have them you will never turn back. they are more comfy and give power on both the up and down stroke.

heres some advice.

when you first get them do not ride in the CITY or a busy area find a nice quite place to practice cliping in and out. (nothing like climbing a hill of 10% and failing too declip :). I wanted to declip on such a climb with cars pasing and just managed it , it scared the #@ out of me
I had a few very close shaves and half falls (stoped myself falling completely)

ALSO

Get Cleat covers for walking (they cover your cleats) hhe i got a story here :D, i didnt have cleat covers on and walked into a store, i sliped and fell on my behind :mad: nearly i was scating.

I suggest you ride on the trainer with your new clipless pedals. ;D

I've been thinking about clips and it's going take a big leap of faith to try them :), the idea of attaching myself to a bike sends shivers down my spine :eek:

There are only 2 types of cyclists: those that have fallen and those that are going to fall...the sooner you join the former the better. ;D

Only ten days ago ,I pulled up to a junction, stopped and when I went to put my foot down I somehow managed to get the side of my shoe caught in the front gears (don't ask my how I still don't know).

That momnet of fear when you know your going over and there's nothing you can do about it is horrid, but why is it the first thing I did was look around to see if anybody was watching, when I noticed that there was I decided that it didn't hurt as much as I thought and quickly cycled off in embarassment

So when are you geting you OCR 3 laz? i hope to get my bike by late this week or early next week. ill post a pic of it :) it will be under 8 kg :) the frame is 1.08 kg.

Vo2. It seems you can find anything on the net. Try and find a pic of a Roubaix and put it up for viewing. Never heard of this bike before and cant find anything about it. Yes, I agree on the OCR3. Value for money, but I will replace the sora with RX100 or 105's before I take it from the shop. Rather pay up the diff now. A cyclist is a different kind of animal. Once you "eye" something for the bike, you're going to make a plan or scheme up something to get it. So.. close your eyes and do it first time right.

Here it is: Claude Butler Roubaix

Roubaix2.jpg

So when are you geting you OCR 3 laz? i hope to get my bike by late this week or early next week. ill post a pic of it :) it will be under 8 kg :) the frame is 1.08 kg.

The plan of action is to get the bike next week, but my wife keeps pointing out that we are going on holidays in four weeks time and she keeps telling me to wait until we come home, she's a manipulative thing because she knows that when we go away the first thing I do is take my Kona up to my mothers house so that I know it's safe (stop laughing).

I leave the other four family bikes in the shed but MY bike is safe ;D so I have a nagging thought that maybe she's right.