OCR, Allez or Felt?

senator52

Mar 25, 2006
I've been contemplating what to buy, it's just such a hard decision when the budget strings are very taught and the time I'm going to have to keep the bike for will be quite significant. I think the Giant OCR range sounds good value for money, OCR2 minimum or OCR1 if I find a good price, Felt F80 looks good too, though it will be really stretching my budget probs past its allowable region. Plus I've heard good things about the Specialized Allez as well. Any information on these bikes would be deeply appreciated. I was hoping to get a 105 groupset but do you think for a bike under $1500 this would be comprimising on frame? Thanx heaps, oh and I reside in Perth(AUS) if that helps anybody.:)

There are specials at the moment on 06 Giant. You can see Felt, Giant and Cervelo at Runners World, West Perth. :)

Was just reading about a guy who had snapped his fourth Allez frame but bought a new one anyway. Should I be concerned about this? Surely they shouldnt break that often, but he buys a new Allez each time...?:confused:

senator52 said:
Was just reading about a guy who had snapped his fourth Allez frame but bought a new one anyway. Should I be concerned about this? Surely they shouldnt break that often, but he buys a new Allez each time...?:confused:

oh really? How about posting the link where you read it from?

senator52 said:
I've been contemplating what to buy, it's just such a hard decision when the budget strings are very taught and the time I'm going to have to keep the bike for will be quite significant. I think the Giant OCR range sounds good value for money, OCR2 minimum or OCR1 if I find a good price, Felt F80 looks good too, though it will be really stretching my budget probs past its allowable region. Plus I've heard good things about the Specialized Allez as well. Any information on these bikes would be deeply appreciated. I was hoping to get a 105 groupset but do you think for a bike under $1500 this would be comprimising on frame? Thanx heaps, oh and I reside in Perth(AUS) if that helps anybody.:)

In that price range there are a lot of bikes that are in that sweet spot. You can get an excellent frame with 105 or a very good frame with Ultegra. The market is such that you must decide yourself. There is no clear bike that is superior to the rest. There are geometry differences, the mix of componentsnd wheel choices. You pick the mix that floats your boat. Above all, though, is ride the bike long enough to get a sense of how it handles and make darn sure you are properly fit on it.

senator52 said:

it has ben sed a lot on this forem but you need to consider fit. the fit on the specilized and the giant are closer but the felt ushaly caters to a difrent bodey tipe. of corse we are not talking how the gemotery feals on the roade. if you figur how you like a bike to fit. it will ushaley narow you desesion. you can make any bike fit with difrent stems, cranks, seatposts. but try get somthing that fits as close from the bigining. if you buy somthing because you like the name and trrow on a 150mm stim so it will fit you will probly not like the ride.

jbike said:
the fit on the specilized and the giant are closer but the felt ushaly caters to a difrent bodey tipe. of corse we are not talking how the gemotery feals on the roade. .
Sorry for jumping in… Previously I had a cheaper hybrid bike that was crushing the bearings in the bottom bracket for some strange reason to the point that it required replacing every third week! I am looking at buying a good bike for my 15 mile daily commute across Dublin city.

If the Giant OCR2 / OCR3 and the specialized Allez are of similar fit which would be the better buy? Is it true what I have been told that ‘Giant make the specialized frames’?

Cheers.