Octalink BB: Dura-Ace 7700 or Ultegra 6500

RS

Guest
I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
on this. Thanks Rick

No personal experience with DA, but others have noted that it needs a
*lot* of maintenance if you ride in wet conditions. Ultegra's last
~10-30K miles it seems... zero maintenance.

On Feb 3, 12:41 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
> older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
> DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
> as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
> maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
> on this. Thanks Rick

If weight's not a concern and you don't like tinkering or live in a
rainy area, use the Ultegra. The DA also requires a special tool.

Personally, I love my DA 7700 BBs, and on one bike I went two entire
seasons without an overhaul (maybe 10k miles). When I pulled it out
the bearing grease was clean. This is in So Cal with minimal wet
riding, so YMMV.

On Feb 3, 1:41 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
> older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
> DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
> as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
> maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
> on this. Thanks Rick

W/o doubt, The DA BB was poorly sealed, draggy, very diffucult to
adjust. Upgrading to the 6500 is best.

Ron Ruff wrote:

> No personal experience with DA, but others have noted that it needs a
> *lot* of maintenance if you ride in wet conditions. Ultegra's last
> ~10-30K miles it seems... zero maintenance.

A friend of mine has an old 8 speed bike with a Shimano 600 group and never
changed the BB in 100.000 miles. He's a lightweight guy and makes more
rpm's than I do. I think that influences the longevity of a BB in a big
way.

Gr, Derk

Fitted an Italian thread 7700 to my Colnago. Never did get the useless piece
of garbage to stay adjusted. Upgraded to 6500. No problems since......
Neil

news:[email protected]...