Octalink BB

VeloJon

Guest
I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

VeloJon said:
I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
any non-Shimano versions of this thing?
:confused: Got 65 bucks ?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=73&subcategory=1096&brand=&sku=2886&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

-

On May 29, 4:47 pm, lwedge <lwedge.2rd...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> VeloJon Wrote:> I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
> > options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
> > point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
> > but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
> > in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
> > any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

> :confused: Got 65 bucks ?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yt6aso=
>
> -
>
> --
> lwedge

wrong size - they only have 70x118, I need 68x118

VeloJon wrote:
> I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
> options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
> point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
> but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
> in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
> any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7

There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.

On May 29, 4:01 pm, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 4:47 pm, lwedge <lwedge.2rd...@no-
>

> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > VeloJon Wrote:> I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
> > > options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
> > > point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
> > > but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
> > > in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
> > > any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

> > :confused: Got 65 bucks ?

> >http://tinyurl.com/yt6aso=

> > -

> > --
> > lwedge

> wrong size - they only have 70x118, I need 68x118

How about this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1050

On May 29, 2:12 pm, Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> VeloJon wrote:
> > I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
> > options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
> > point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
> > but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
> > in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
> > any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

> Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7
>
> There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
> cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.

Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
limited to what's available:

Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

On May 29, 4:27 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 2:12 pm, Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > VeloJon wrote:
> > > I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
> > > options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
> > > point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
> > > but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
> > > in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
> > > any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

> > Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7

> > There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
> > cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.

> Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
> Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
> licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
> limited to what's available:
>
> Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano
>
> Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
> QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
(105) model at $34.99

http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

On May 29, 2:42 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 4:27 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7

> > > There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
> > > cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.

> > Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
> > Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
> > licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
> > limited to what's available:

> > Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> > Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
> > QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

> A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
> (105) model at $34.99
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!

On May 29, 4:53 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 2:42 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
> > > Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
> > > licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
> > > limited to what's available:

> > > Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> > > Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
> > > QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

> > A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
> > (105) model at $34.99

> >http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

> Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
> have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
> them at egregious prices.

Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
prices"?

> I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
> years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

> If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

On May 29, 3:03 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 4:53 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 29, 2:42 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
> > > (105) model at $34.99

> > >http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

> > Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
> > have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
> > them at egregious prices.

> Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
> prices"?

Yup, but I wouldn't limit myself to just an ultegra bb either.
Interestingly, AEBike lists the DA version for only $60, what a
bargain!

> > I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
> > years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

> And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.
>

> > If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

> Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

Hey, we actually agree on a couple of things!

On May 29, 5:43 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 3:03 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 29, 4:53 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
> > > have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
> > > them at egregious prices.

> > Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
> > prices"?

> Yup, but I wouldn't limit myself to just an ultegra bb either.
> Interestingly, AEBike lists the DA version for only $60, what a
> bargain!

$60 for a DA beats $70 for an Ultegra by quite a bit, eh?

> > > I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
> > > years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

> > And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

> > > If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

> > Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

> Hey, we actually agree on a couple of things!

Probably on more than a couple.

......but never on useless odd-sized wheels and tires as promoted by
self-serving niche marketers. ;-)

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 29, 4:53 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On May 29, 2:42 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> >

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

be any

this

size,

105 BB

there

the

like

$70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

like

> > > A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
> > > (105) model at $34.99

> > >http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

> > Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
> > have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
> > them at egregious prices.

> Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
> prices"?
>

> > I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
> > years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

> And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.
> >
> > If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

> Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

$13 model is a V2 Octalink.
V2 =/= V1

Rumor has it that Shimano will only make the 5500 series.

On May 29, 5:56 pm, "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On May 29, 4:53 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> be any

> this

> size,

> 105 BB

> there

> the

> like

> $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> like

> > > Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
> > > have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
> > > them at egregious prices.

> > Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
> > prices"?

> > > I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
> > > years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

> > And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

> > > If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

> > Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

> $13 model is a V2 Octalink.
> V2 =/= V1
>
> Rumor has it that Shimano will only make the 5500 series.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to all for your help. All the suggested web sites are out of
stock in the 68x118 size - even Sheldon. Going with the BIC shaver
approach. Cheers, VJ

On May 29, 5:56 pm, "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On May 29, 4:53 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> be any

> this

> size,

> 105 BB

> there

> the

> like

> $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> like

> > > Agree. But, the OP seems to only want the Ultegra 6500 version - "I
> > > have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size, but only see
> > > them at egregious prices.

> > Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
> > prices"?

> > > I wore out the original 105 BB in a couple
> > > years, and the DA version is a little pricey."

> > And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

> > > If I was him, I stock up on the $13 model and RIDE!!!!-

> > Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

> $13 model is a V2 Octalink.
> V2 =/= V1

I missed that detail. Mea culpa.

> Rumor has it that Shimano will only make the 5500 series.-

I guess the victims of the Octalink fiasco should take what Shimano
deigns to offer and be grateful. :-(

On May 29, 2:05 pm, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
> options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
> point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that size,
> but only see them at egregious prices. I wore out the original 105 BB
> in a couple years, and the DA version is a little pricey. Are there
> any non-Shimano versions of this thing?

No non shimano octalink at all..never has been..what's 'egregious' to
you? The bearings in 5503 and 6503 are the same, BTW-

On May 29, 3:42 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 4:27 pm, bfd <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Search on BB-6503 still some around. http://tinyurl.com/yqbot7

> > > There was one non-Shimano Octalink company but I think they made the
> > > cranks only, not BBs... was probably Ritchey.

> > Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
> > Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
> > licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
> > limited to what's available:

> > Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> > Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
> > QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

> A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
> (105) model at $34.99
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

The 'ES' versions are MTB specific, like for XT/LX cranks, with fatter
splines..will not work with a 5500/6500/7700 crank.

On May 29, 6:13 pm, VeloJon <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 5:56 pm, "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > be any

> > this

> > size,

> > 105 BB

> > there

> > the

> > like

> > $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> > like

> > > Don't you think that $70 for an Ultegra is among the "egregious
> > > prices"?

> > > And, I doubt a 105 is really shorter lived than an Ultegra.

> > > Yep, treat it like a Bic shaver.

> > $13 model is a V2 Octalink.
> > V2 =/= V1

> > Rumor has it that Shimano will only make the 5500 series.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks to all for your help. All the suggested web sites are out of
> stock in the 68x118 size - even Sheldon. Going with the BIC shaver
> approach. Cheers, VJ

I have 6503 BBs..$70 plus shipping..

On May 30, 7:35 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 29, 3:42 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Shimano allowed several companies to make cranks for octalink bbs like
> > > Ritchey, FSA and Sugino, to name a few. However, Shimano NEVER
> > > licensed the rights to others to make octalink bbs. Thus, you're
> > > limited to what's available:

> > > Sheldon has 68x118 - $70:http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html#shimano

> > > Any good LBS either should have it or can get it via distributor like
> > > QBP, but it ain't gonna be cheap. Good Luck!

> > A E Bike lists 68 x118 Octalink BBs starting at $12.99, and the BB5500
> > (105) model at $34.99

> >http://tinyurl.com/3afb2p

> The 'ES' versions are MTB specific, like for XT/LX cranks, with fatter
> splines..will not work with a 5500/6500/7700 crank.-

Yep, as noted earlier, I missed the 'V2' designation. Once again, mea
culpa.