Octalink - FSA Crank - Chorus 10sp --Will it work ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cpa, Aug 27, 2003.

1. cpa

cpa New Member

My LBS is building me up a new Bike with FSA Carbon Cranks, and they swear the Octalink BB is the way to go. However, my Gruppo is Chorus 10sp.

What I'm guessing they're doing is using an Octalink Splined set of arms with Campy compatible 10sp Chainrings ??

I've only ever used Campag, so excuse my ignorance.

There are different FSA chainrings for Shimano and Campagnolo, Right ?:confused: (Logic says different Chains call for different Chainrings)

I'm working away at the moment and figured this would be a great way to get independent answers !

Thanks.

Tags:

2. hideano

hideano New Member

will not work Octilink is 8 splines

it will not work with ISIS or Campy. YOu can order FSA with Octilink compatability if your BB is shimano Octilink

ds

3. mike6746

mike6746 New Member

I currently run full Campy Record (10 speed) with the exception of the crank and bottom bracket. For these I use a Shimano Dura Ace (Octalink) bottom bracket and the FSA Team Issue Carbon cranks (for Octalink) and standard FSA rings. My Campy Record drive train can't tell the difference. Everthing works great. This is on a Giant TCR carbon bike.

Mike

4. Ron Garrett

Ron Garrett New Member

I have been running Record 10s on both my bikes with a Shimano BB Octalink and FSA Crankset and it shifts flawlessly. The width of the teeh is primarilly what one would normally worry about when running a narrower chain with a wider chainring. That would normally cause chain suck cause the chain gets caught on the teeth. Anyway your local b.s. is completely right about: it will work. It will also be very stiff. I just don't know why Campy is so slow about going to the Isis or Octalink.

5. cpa

cpa New Member

Sounds good to me. I agree : Why doesn't Campy get with it and produce a more efficient Spline / BB configuration. Just about every Campy Crank and BB I've seen shows some sign of movement (albeit minimal).. even on the most meticulously maintained bikes.

Logic has it that the splines should be almost perpendicular to the direction of the force being applied to them.... i.e. like Octalink......

The square Campy config just doesn't have the load bearing surface area allocated in the right places I reckon.

Alrighty .... it's DA Octalink, Team Issue Carbon FSA (Crank), & Chorus (DT) then !
    I think I might nickname it "The Mongrel".. but I'm sure Mr. Guerciotti wouldn't like it very much. :D

6. Justine7458

Justine7458 New Member

Basically, you can use any crank you like (assuming, of course, that you have the proper bottom bracket) with any shifting system as long as the chainrings are compatible with your chain and shifters. Your chain doesn't care whether your BB axle is Octalink or an old cottered spindle as long as the chainrings are right.

Have you noticed that some of the TdF teams rode drivetrains that were all Campy except for the FSA carbon cranksets. Why didn"t they ride Campy's carbon crankset (which their teams could easily buy them but for which you have the privelege of paying more than I spent on all the bikes I owned before entering menopause)? Well, they won't, until Campy's cranks are ISIS-compatible or until the boys in Vicenza develop an equivalent system.

My custom road bike is Dura Ace. I may go to Campy. If I do, I'll keep the DA crankset, on which I have TA rings.

7. G White

G White New Member

It strikes me that Campag take a different strategy to extracting our money from ourselves than Shimano. Campag tends to focus on technology that will make a real difference, e.g. access to 10 s makes the two rings plus 10s vs three rings and 9s a hard call. Whilst Shimano often role out technology for technolgy's sake. I personally think that the claimed improvement to power delivery to the road by the additional stiffness of octalink is just fantasy. After upgrading my Reynolds 653 bike from a Veloce crank and BB to a Chorus Crank and record bottom bracket it became obvious that the give in the system came from the tyres (Conti GP3000) despite running them at 120 psi. It was quite obvious that the pedal's rotational plane wrt to the frame was better but when near stationary, a la bike courier at a stop sign/lights there was loads of slop which came from the tyre road interface.

Returning to chain rings and 10s, as long as shifting is sweet it doesn't matte what you use. In the UK go to the shop and ask for a suitable non-campag chainset and rings for a campag 10s. If it doesn't work top your satisfactiontake it back for an alternative.