Octalink or ISIS BB ???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eddymerkx, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Eddymerkx

    Eddymerkx Guest

    I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    Tags:

  2. Mgs

    Mgs Guest

    My LBS owner recommended the Octalink. The comment was that the Shimano Octalink was smoother than
    the ISIS brackets from other companies.

    I picked the Octalink but the owner of the LBS was using the ISIS and said it was more than
    acceptable.

    Apparently they both are fine, it's a manufacturers preference.

    "EdDyMeRkX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m11.aol.com...
    > I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I
    have
    > a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you
    choose and
    > why. Thanks for your input.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "EdDyMeRkX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I
    have
    > a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you
    choose and
    > why. Thanks for your input.

    Although I have 4 sets of Octalink cranks, if I were to have to choose right now, I'd probably go
    ISIS. Octalink is on the way out... That new "Bullseye" style crank is on the way in.

    My $.02

    Mike

    >I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    >octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose
    and
    >why. Thanks for your input.

    ISIS simply because Shimano is probably going to drop support for octalink in the near future.
    -------------
    Alex

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]
    > says...
    > >

    > >I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I
    have
    > >a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you
    choose
    > and
    > >why. Thanks for your input.
    >
    > ISIS simply because Shimano is probably going to drop support for octalink in the near future.
    > -------------
    > Alex

    Even though I chimed in with the same answer above, you can still find square-taper BBs around, as
    well as 7400/7401 cranksets, etc. you just have to look harder.

    Mike

  6. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] (EdDyMeRkX) writes:

    > I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    > octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    ISIS. The chance of developing backlash in the crank-spindle interface is practically nil, whereas
    it is at least theoretically possible with the Shimano design. Also, it's easy to schmutz up the
    splines in the crank with the Shimano design.

    Thus far I have been pleased with the ISIS BB and brank on one of my bikes. I have a philosophical
    issue with it as well. ISIS is an open-source free standard, like the GPL and the GNU/Linux system.
    Free (as in speech, but free as in beer is OK too) is good. I'm not a fan of exclusive proprietary
    designs in general, but even more so when a freely distributed technology and is as good or better
    is available.

  7. eddy-<< I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of
    an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. >><BR><BR>

    ISIS, better design and Octalink is being abandoned by shimano.

    pretty cheeky e-mail address BTW...

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > eddy-<< I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset
    soon and
    > I have a choice of an octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you
    choose and
    > why. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > ISIS, better design and Octalink is being abandoned by shimano.
    >
    > pretty cheeky e-mail address BTW...

    I didn't even notice that...

    Mike

  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 01:11:53 GMT, [email protected] (EdDyMeRkX) may have
    said:

    >I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    >octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

    Definitely ISIS. You have multiple suppliers for the BB that way. If Shimano doesn't license
    Octalink, nobody else can make it...and it looks like they're going to drop it soon, turning all of
    the existing Octalink setups into orphans at some point in the future.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  10. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    personally, i think octalink is a better design. and the internal machining inside the spindle of
    the dura-ace bb shows the lengths to which shimano go to make it competitive. check in there with a
    flashlight some time. impressive.

    also, i've only looked briefly, but has anyone seen a pic of a broken octalink spindle? there's
    loads for solids on the net, and sheldon's famous isis failure, but any octalinks? it's a factor
    worth consideration.

    jb

    EdDyMeRkX wrote:
    > I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    > octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.

  11. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:
    > On 28 Jan 2004 01:11:53 GMT, [email protected] (EdDyMeRkX) may have said:
    >

    >>I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    >>octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.
    >

    > Definitely ISIS. You have multiple suppliers for the BB that way. If Shimano doesn't license
    > Octalink, nobody else can make it...and it looks like they're going to drop it soon, turning all
    > of the existing Octalink setups into orphans at some point in the future.

    does anyone /know/ this to be fact? as pointed out earlier in this thread, shimano still sell their
    famous un72, and how long is it since octalink came out? also, fsa have recently licenced the
    octalink design. if i were them, i'd have checked into continuing support for my licence and
    wouldn't be re-tooling unless my shimano contract was crystal clear on continuation for a reasonable
    pay-back period.

    - not saying you're wrong, i just want to filter the rumor. any shimano folks available to answer???

    jb

  12. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Werehatrack wrote:
    > > On 28 Jan 2004 01:11:53 GMT, [email protected] (EdDyMeRkX) may have said:
    > >

    > >>I am going to purchase a FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple crankset soon and I have a choice of an
    > >>octalink or ISIS type bottom bracket. What would you choose and why. Thanks for your input.
    > >

    > > Definitely ISIS. You have multiple suppliers for the BB that way. If Shimano doesn't license
    > > Octalink, nobody else can make it...and it looks like they're going to drop it soon, turning all
    > > of the existing Octalink setups into orphans at some point in the future.
    >
    > does anyone /know/ this to be fact? as pointed out earlier in this thread, shimano still sell
    > their famous un72, and how long is it since octalink came out? also, fsa have recently licenced
    > the octalink design. if i were them, i'd have checked into continuing support for my licence and
    > wouldn't be re-tooling unless my shimano contract was crystal clear on continuation for a
    > reasonable pay-back period.
    >
    > - not saying you're wrong, i just want to filter the rumor. any shimano folks available to
    > answer???
    >
    > jb

    Dear Jim,

    The fact that my bottom bracket is Octalink and that I recently bought a spare strongly suggests
    that it will not only soon be discontinued, but possibly subject to a massive recall.

    Glumly,

    Eeyore

  13. Mgs

    Mgs Guest

    Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.

    Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design, they
    have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.

    It is patented.

    It is proprietory

    If you want Octalink, you own Shimano.

    Let the rumours role, as it seems that rumors are all I am hearing. Quote one article or reference
    one site that notes this other than this newsgroup.

  14. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "MGS" <[email protected](remove the remove)> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.
    >
    > Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design, they
    > have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.
    >
    > It is patented.
    >
    > It is proprietory
    >
    > If you want Octalink, you own Shimano.
    >
    > Let the rumours role, as it seems that rumors are all I am hearing. Quote one article or reference
    > one site that notes this other than this newsgroup.

    Dear MGS,

    You mustn't take Eeyore quite so seriously, even if your spelling resembles mine.

    Winnie the Pooh

    P.S. I hear Christopher Robin rides Campy.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

    > "MGS" <[email protected](remove the remove)> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.
    > >
    > > Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design,
    > > they have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.

    > Dear MGS,
    >
    > You mustn't take Eeyore quite so seriously, even if your spelling resembles mine.
    >
    > Winnie the Pooh
    >
    > P.S. I hear Christopher Robin rides Campy.

    Given his age, location, and general yearning for simplicity, I've always seen him as a singlespeed
    rider. Not fixie, though.

    Or maybe a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub,

  16. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Carl
    > Fogel) wrote:
    >
    > > "MGS" <[email protected](remove the remove)> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Not to be a wise guy, but who are you and why does your paranoia have any credibility.
    > > >
    > > > Shimano's entire line is based on the Octalink design. Other than their new Dura-ace design,
    > > > they have a strong resign to continue with their Octalink system.
    >
    > > Dear MGS,
    > >
    > > You mustn't take Eeyore quite so seriously, even if your spelling resembles mine.
    > >
    > > Winnie the Pooh
    > >
    > > P.S. I hear Christopher Robin rides Campy.
    >
    > Given his age, location, and general yearning for simplicity, I've always seen him as a
    > singlespeed rider. Not fixie, though.
    >
    > Or maybe a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub,

    Dear Ryan,

    Whatever Christopher Robin rides, I see training wheels.

    Carl Fogel

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:40:22 GMT, jim beam <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    > >ok, ask wayne whether they'll continue producing decent quality octalink spindles like they do
    > >un72's. we know they're bringing out the new stuff.
    >
    > I doubt that they'll stop making the BBs as long as there's significant demand, although it would
    > not surprise me if the number of choices in that area was trimmed. Cranks, though, have already
    > started to diminish in selection in the current lineup, and that trend is unlikely to change.

    I have no dog in this hunt, but BBs are cheap enough that if your crank needs replacement, shelling
    out for a BB is no big deal. Therefore, it's pretty reasonable to curtail crank availability while
    still producing lots of BBs.

    > I haven't looked, when did Octalink first appear? Are we approaching the expiration of the patent?
    > If so, that would explain their progressive shift to the Next Big Thing.
    >
    > I keep wondering when they're going to decide that the old English BB shell is just going to have
    > to go away in favor of something they have invented and controlled. (If they did it, of course,
    > they'd be oh-so-genteel about licensing the *shell* design for a tiny pittance to every bike
    > builder who agreed not to put anything but a Shimano crank on their bikes...)

    One reason Octalink is going away is because it was an engineering dog. It solved some problems with
    square tapers, but created others. If it wasn't a problem group, it probably would have propagated
    into Tiagra and Deore just as those groups now have 9 speeds.

    The engineering types whose opinions here are worth the name 'expert' have been pretty happy with
    the Dura-Ace/XTR/XT BB and crank design, suggesting it's a winner. It doesn't affect me much,
    because I'm not hard on cranks, but for the strong riders and the long-distance riders, a tough,
    lightweight approach to the BB and cranks is a good thing.

    Ironically, Shimano has shown no interest in changing either BB or rear axle specs, but there are
    movements among mountain bike and component makers to do both. The ISIS people have proposed an
    oversized BB shell spec, and larger rear axles are being seen on many new designs. Instead,
    Shimano's latest and greatest stuff is specifically conservative here: the new BB system is designed
    for a standard-diameter BB (well, many of them :), and the Saint group resisted pressure to go for
    an oversize axle, even as some bike makers called for it to do so (Shimano says it's plenty strong
    as is. I say the ability of serious huckers to break stuff cannot be compensated for by any design.

    hopelessly behind the times in 8-speed square-taper land,