Odd Cassette boggle

Dane Jackson

Guest
I recently replaced my cassette (9 speed - shimano - 11-25) because of wear. I replaced it with a
11-27 cassette and was surprised to find that the rd adjustment was off by quite a bit. I would
think the two cassettes would have pretty much the same dimensions, so I didn't think I'd have to
touch it other than maybe the b-screw if the biggest cog didn't have enough clearance.

I was just curious why this happened, does anyone have some enlightenment to spare?

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "Consistency is the last refuge of the
unimaginative." -Oscar Wilde

I have 2 sets of crossmax wheels, 2000 & 2002, one with an XT cassette and one with XTR swapping
requires small adjustments to both the position of the disc brake callipers and adjusting the limit
screws on the RD; swapping the cassette still requires adjustment. I imagine this may have been less
of an issue when the cogs were a little more widely spaced in days gone past.

nick

news:[email protected]... I recently replaced my cassette (9 speed -

Nicholas & Domino <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have 2 sets of crossmax wheels, 2000 & 2002, one with an XT cassette and one with XTR swapping
> requires small adjustments to both the position of the disc brake callipers and adjusting the
> limit screws on the RD; swapping the cassette still requires adjustment. I imagine this may have
> been less of an issue when the cogs were a little more widely spaced in days gone past.

I understand if you had two different wheels you were swapping that this could happen. But this was
just popping a new cassette on the same wheel with no fiddling about other than that. I went from a
stock 11-25 HG shimano cassette (Whatever came with the bike (2002 Giant OCR2 - Tiagra level
components for the most part)) to a 11-27 shimano ultegra cassette. I had to fiddle with the lower
limit, the upper limit and the barrel adjuster[1]. I guess I just think it's odd.

[1] Which is not my favorite bike maintenance task. [2]
[2] Because I'm still mostly sucky at it.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "God is my co-pilot but we crashed in the
mountains and I had to eat him."

sorry Dane by "swapping the cassette still requires adjustment.", I meant swapping the XT and XTR
casette on the same wheel means adjusting limits and barrel too.

standard is not so standard it seems

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Nicholas & Domino

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:24:37 -0500, Nicholas & Domino wrote:

> standard is not so standard it seems

Strange, isn't it.

> I understand if you had two different wheels you were swapping that this could happen.

I don't. I regularly swap wheels (Campy, though) and would be very annoyed to have this problem.
Even back in the bad old days of freewheels I would not be satisfied with this.

> I went from a stock 11-25 HG shimano cassette (Whatever came with the bike (2002 Giant OCR2 -
> Tiagra level components for the most part)) to a 11-27 shimano ultegra cassette.

This is a minimal change. There should be no adjustment necessary.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
--Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

Well I was assuming a ****/out of spec wheel. I know this shouldn't happen normally.

>> I went from a stock 11-25 HG shimano cassette (Whatever came with the bike (2002 Giant OCR2 -
>> Tiagra level components for the most part)) to a 11-27 shimano ultegra cassette.
>
> This is a minimal change. There should be no adjustment necessary.

That's what I thought. Strange. Oh well, it's dialed in fairly well now. I suppose I'll just go
ride it. <G>

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g The question is, why are politicians so
eager to be president? What is it about the job that makes it worth revealing, on national

Look carefully at the cassette, particularly the largest ring and spider. You'll see that on the
newer 27s, the cog sits below the top of its wider spacer and the cassette uses a bit more of the
hub body too. I think that it keeps the cog from sitting too close to the spokes.

It stinks if you are trying to get a couple of wider spacers in between the smaller cogs to be more
Campy compatible.