Odd derailleur begavior

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anthony Giorgianni, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. Hello All

    Trying to put an odd ten-speed back on the road, but I'm having trouble
    adjusting the rear derailleur. It will not stay in first gear without the
    hanger's slightly hitting the spokes. If I adjust the screws so that the
    hanger clears the spokes, the chain jumps between first and second,
    especially on hills. If I adjust it so that the chains sites well in first,
    I get tapping.

    I'm thinking it may be bent somehow? It doesn't seem to be. Also, this
    bike -- an old lightweight Benotto with little use - does not have a chain
    guard behind the cluster. Should it have one? Would adding one more the
    cluster slightly to the right and solve the problem? Or is some bending or
    something required? It's a Suntour SVX derailleur.

    Thanks for any thoughts.

    Anthony Giorgianni
    For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:30:10 -0400, "Anthony Giorgianni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Trying to put an odd ten-speed back on the road, but I'm having trouble
    >adjusting the rear derailleur. It will not stay in first gear without the
    >hanger's slightly hitting the spokes. If I adjust the screws so that the
    >hanger clears the spokes, the chain jumps between first and second,
    >especially on hills. If I adjust it so that the chains sites well in first,
    >I get tapping.
    >
    >I'm thinking it may be bent somehow? It doesn't seem to be.

    It's possible the derailleur hanger (on the frame) is bent.

  3. !Jones

    !Jones Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:30:10 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech "Anthony
    Giorgianni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm thinking it may be bent somehow?

    That's my first off the wall guess. That's where I'd look, anyway.
    That and wheel spacing. Has the current wheel worked in that
    configuration in the past?

    Jones

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
    > Trying to put an odd ten-speed back on the road, but I'm having trouble
    > adjusting the rear derailleur. It will not stay in first gear without
    > the hanger's slightly hitting the spokes. If I adjust the screws so that
    > the hanger clears the spokes, the chain jumps between first and second,
    > especially on hills. If I adjust it so that the chains sites well in
    > first, I get tapping.
    >
    > I'm thinking it may be bent somehow? It doesn't seem to be. Also, this
    > bike -- an old lightweight Benotto with little use - does not have a
    > chain guard behind the cluster. Should it have one? Would adding one
    > more the cluster slightly to the right and solve the problem? Or is some
    > bending or something required? It's a Suntour SVX derailleur.

    More likely than not, it's bent.

    Shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear changer. Is the cage
    parallel to the front chainrings?
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    <www.yellowjersey.org/>

  5. On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:10:19 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >More likely than not, it's bent.
    >
    >Shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear changer. Is the cage
    >parallel to the front chainrings?

    Or more directly, with the bike perpendicular to the ground, the cage
    should also be perpendicular to the ground when view from the rear.

    If it worked before, something is bent. If it's a new combination, you
    might need a spacer behind the freewheel.

  6. Thanks everyone.

    Yes, it did work before. I'll check the alignment versus the chain wheel. I
    also was thinking about a spacer. Are there actually spacers made for this
    purpose?

    I'll report back.

    Thanks again.

    Anthony Giorgianni
    For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

    "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:10:19 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>More likely than not, it's bent.
    >>
    >>Shift to high gear. Get your head behind the rear changer. Is the cage
    >>parallel to the front chainrings?

    > Or more directly, with the bike perpendicular to the ground, the cage
    > should also be perpendicular to the ground when view from the rear.
    >
    > If it worked before, something is bent. If it's a new combination, you
    > might need a spacer behind the freewheel.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
    > Yes, it did work before. I'll check the alignment versus the chain
    > wheel. I also was thinking about a spacer. Are there actually spacers
    > made for this purpose?
    > I'll report back.

    "still" and I are on the same page here. Your description so classically
    fits 'bike fell over on the right side' that we'd bet on it.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    <www.yellowjersey.org/>
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:40:31 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
    > > Yes, it did work before. I'll check the alignment versus the chain
    >> wheel. I also was thinking about a spacer. Are there actually spacers
    >> made for this purpose?
    >> I'll report back.

    >"still" and I are on the same page here. Your description so classically
    >fits 'bike fell over on the right side' that we'd bet on it.

    and there are spacers, known as "freewheel spacers". But, if you need
    to correct that alignment issue then they will just push the problem
    elsewhere. So do what you planned, and work from there.

  9. Thanks. I'll get to it soon and post back to thread.

    Anthony Giorgianni
    For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

    "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:40:31 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
    >> > Yes, it did work before. I'll check the alignment versus the chain
    >>> wheel. I also was thinking about a spacer. Are there actually spacers
    >>> made for this purpose?
    >>> I'll report back.

    >>"still" and I are on the same page here. Your description so classically
    >>fits 'bike fell over on the right side' that we'd bet on it.

    > and there are spacers, known as "freewheel spacers". But, if you need
    > to correct that alignment issue then they will just push the problem
    > elsewhere. So do what you planned, and work from there.

  10. Hello All

    As promised, I'm posting back.

    After working with it last weekend, it looks like it may be okay now. It
    seemed like the rear-most part of derailleur hanger was bent in slightly,
    vertically. Using my Vice Grips, I twisted it outward quite a bit. At the
    existing settings, the chain then jumped over the last gear into the spokes.
    So I tightened the low-gear adjusting screw some, loosened the high-gear
    adjusting screw, made some further adjustments on a road test, and that
    seems to have done it. We haven't tried going any distance yet. I'll post
    again if the problem re-emerges. But if not, assume that was the fix!!!

    Thanks again to everyone who responded..

    Anthony Giorgianni
    For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

    news:[email protected]

  11. Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
    > Hello All
    >
    > Trying to put an odd ten-speed back on the road, but I'm having trouble
    > adjusting the rear derailleur. It will not stay in first gear without
    > the hanger's slightly hitting the spokes. If I adjust the screws so that
    > the hanger clears the spokes, the chain jumps between first and second,
    > especially on hills. If I adjust it so that the chains sites well in
    > first, I get tapping.
    >
    > I'm thinking it may be bent somehow? It doesn't seem to be. Also, this
    > bike -- an old lightweight Benotto with little use - does not have a
    > chain guard behind the cluster. Should it have one? Would adding one
    > more the cluster slightly to the right and solve the problem?

    There are several solutions. It may be that the hanger is bent. If so,
    an adjustable wrench can solve the problem. If not, you can put in a
    spacer to move the freewheel out some (I presume it is a threaded
    freewheel rather than a cassette). I don't know whether a spoke guard
    will accomplish that or not. They may themselves interfere with the
    derailleur.

    On one bike I resorted to filing off some of the derailleur cage where
    it was rubbing on the spokes. Depending on how much extra material
    there is, and how much you have to shave off, that might be enough.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure you
    that mine are all greater.
    -- A. Einstein

  12. Thank you, David.

    Interesting to hear how you solved your problem. I think I've now got this
    fixed, using the exact method you suggested. Please see my other post.

    Thanks again.

    Anthony Giorgianni
    For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

    > There are several solutions. It may be that the hanger is bent. If so,
    > an adjustable wrench can solve the problem. If not, you can put in a
    > spacer to move the freewheel out some (I presume it is a threaded
    > freewheel rather than a cassette). I don't know whether a spoke guard
    > will accomplish that or not. They may themselves interfere with the
    > derailleur.
    >
    > On one bike I resorted to filing off some of the derailleur cage where it
    > was rubbing on the spokes. Depending on how much extra material there is,
    > and how much you have to shave off, that might be enough.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson
    >
    > Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure you
    > that mine are all greater.
    > -- A. Einstein

  13. On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:53:07 -0400, "Anthony Giorgianni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello All
    >
    >As promised, I'm posting back.
    >
    >After working with it last weekend, it looks like it may be okay now. It
    >seemed like the rear-most part of derailleur hanger was bent in slightly,
    >vertically. Using my Vice Grips, I twisted it outward quite a bit. At the
    >existing settings, the chain then jumped over the last gear into the spokes.
    >So I tightened the low-gear adjusting screw some, loosened the high-gear
    >adjusting screw, made some further adjustments on a road test, and that
    >seems to have done it. We haven't tried going any distance yet. I'll post
    >again if the problem re-emerges. But if not, assume that was the fix!!!
    >
    >Thanks again to everyone who responded..

    Just make sure it's perpendicular to the ground with the bike vertical
    when you are done. In other words, the hanger should be in the same
    plane as the seat tube. Otherwise you may have issues later with odd
    wear, shifting difficulties,etc. Line of sight is usually fine to set
    it up.

  14. Thanks. Will do!!!