Odd DuraAce Jockey Wheels: what are they?

On Jul 13, 3:05 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower but
> they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.
> Please cut & paste:
>
> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpghttp://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg

It looks like you have the triple version of the Dura Ace rear
dérailleur. It has larger pulley wheels to allow for more wrap without
resorting to a longer arm.

Yes, its a triple. The cage is about the size of a double, very clever. Thanks.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>On Jul 13, 3:05 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
>> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower but
>> they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.
>> Please cut & paste:

http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpghttp://www.rickschiller.com/der770
0_.jpg

>It looks like you have the triple version of the Dura Ace rear
>dérailleur. It has larger pulley wheels to allow for more wrap without
>resorting to a longer arm.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Ron Schiller writes:
>
>> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce

7700ss
>> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower
>> but they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.

> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg
>
>Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure you

can
>find the answer at better bicycle shops.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Amazing what one can do with a $150 camera these days.

On Jul 13, 7:28 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> RS wrote:
> > What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
> > and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower but
> > they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.
> > Please cut & paste:

> >http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
> >http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg

> triple derailleur.

It may be a technically good idea, and Shimano must believe in it
because they're still pushing it on low-end mechs [where riders don't
care what it looks like, or even see it], but I have one of these
things and it's huge. The ability to make the cage look not-so-long is
more than made up for by the gigantic pulleys. It's light and shifts
Dura-Acely, but it looks like a boat anchor. The current generation
triple has smaller pulleys.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>On Jul 13, 7:28 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> RS wrote:
>> > What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce

7700ss
>> > and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower

but
>> > they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.
>> > Please cut & paste:

>> >http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
>> >http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg

>> triple derailleur.

>It may be a technically good idea, and Shimano must believe in it
>because they're still pushing it on low-end mechs [where riders don't
>care what it looks like, or even see it], but I have one of these
>things and it's huge. The ability to make the cage look not-so-long is
>more than made up for by the gigantic pulleys. It's light and shifts
>Dura-Acely, but it looks like a boat anchor. The current generation
>triple has smaller pulleys.

Longer cage, smaller pulleys or shorter cage, larger pulleys I suppose.
Not sure which is better but on a 9speed compact double system I put a
7800 short cage on and it seems to be smoother, better shifting. Yes, I
running a 50/34 compact and a 12/27 which exceeds the derailleur
capacity but like many others have indicated, it works fine.

thanks to all . .

On 13 Jul 2007 23:41:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

> Ron Schiller writes:
>
>> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
>> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower
>> but they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.

> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg
>
> Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure you can
> find the answer at better bicycle shops.
>
> Jobst Brandt

Speaking of macro photog technique, I'm worknig on it myself and one day
will be able to post a picture of a good bike shop.

On Jul 13, 4:05 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower but
> they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.
> Please cut & paste:
>
> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpghttp://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg

Triple version BUT when you ask for a 7700 DA RD these days, that's
what you get. Ours were relabeled DA 7703, labeled '7700'. BUT they
will work fine on a double setup.

On Jul 14, 1:20 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

> 7700ss

> but

> >> triple derailleur.

> >It may be a technically good idea, and Shimano must believe in it
> >because they're still pushing it on low-end mechs [where riders don't
> >care what it looks like, or even see it], but I have one of these
> >things and it's huge. The ability to make the cage look not-so-long is
> >more than made up for by the gigantic pulleys. It's light and shifts
> >Dura-Acely, but it looks like a boat anchor. The current generation
> >triple has smaller pulleys.

> Longer cage, smaller pulleys or shorter cage, larger pulleys I suppose.
> Not sure which is better but on a 9speed compact double system I put a
> 7800 short cage on and it seems to be smoother, better shifting. Yes, I
> running a 50/34 compact and a 12/27 which exceeds the derailleur
> capacity but like many others have indicated, it works fine.
>
> thanks to all . .

Compact and 12-27 doesn't really exceed the capacity, even officially.
DA states that when using a 53/39 and a 12-27, you still use the short
cage RD, so the compact will also not exceed it.

Bob McFakename wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2007 23:41:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Ron Schiller writes:
>>
>>> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
>>> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower
>>> but they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.

>> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
>> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg
>>
>> Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure you can
>> find the answer at better bicycle shops.
>>
>> Jobst Brandt

> Speaking of macro photog technique, I'm worknig on it myself and one day
> will be able to post a picture of a good bike shop.

potm!

On Jul 14, 8:28 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob McFakename wrote:

> >> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
> >> http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg

> >> Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure you can
> >> find the answer at better bicycle shops.

> >> Jobst Brandt

> > Speaking of macro photog technique, I'm worknig on it myself and one day
> > will be able to post a picture of a good bike shop.

> potm!

Please Open The Machine
Past Operating Tense Mode
Potty Or The Mall
Potato Oregon Trail Mess

??!!

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Jul 14, 8:28 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bob McFakename wrote:
>>> Speaking of macro photog technique, I'm worknig on it myself and one day
>>> will be able to post a picture of a good bike shop.

>> potm!

> Please Open The Machine
> Past Operating Tense Mode
> Potty Or The Mall
> Potato Oregon Trail Mess
>
> ??!!

post of the month

jim beam wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> On Jul 14, 8:28 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> potm!

>> Please Open The Machine
>> Past Operating Tense Mode
>> Potty Or The Mall
>> Potato Oregon Trail Mess
>>
>> ??!!

> post of the month

yeahbutt...Peter's guesses were quite revealing (to a disturbed shrink)!

Bill "wrap" S.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>On Jul 13, 4:05 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce 7700ss
>> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower but
>> they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.
>> Please cut & paste:

http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpghttp://www.rickschiller.com/der7700
_.jpg

>Triple version BUT when you ask for a 7700 DA RD these days, that's
>what you get. Ours were relabeled DA 7703, labeled '7700'. BUT they
>will work fine on a double setup.

My experience was that the 7800 short cage worked better. But I forgot to
mention I changed chains at the time from a SRAM PC991 to a Connex 9x1.
The connex seems a little smoother, maybe just the chain then?

In article <[email protected]>,
RS <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >Ron Schiller writes:
> >
> >> What kind of jockey wheels are these? They're on a DuraAce

> 7700ss
> >> and the writing says "DuraAce sealed bearing pulley" on the lower
> >> but they are different then most other jockey wheels I've seen.

> > http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
> > http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg
> >
> >Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure you

> can
> >find the answer at better bicycle shops.
> >
> >Jobst Brandt

> Amazing what one can do with a $150 camera these days.

Yesbut, your lighting betrays your professionalism.

At a guess, you turned off the built-in flash (which would have
hilariously overexposed the derailer) and used a hot light, or as us
cheap photographers call them, "halogen work lights, $15 with stand on
sale."

>In article <[email protected]>,
> RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...

>> 7700ss
>> >
>> > http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
>> > http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg
>> >
>> >Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure you

>> can
>> >find the answer at better bicycle shops.
>> >
>> >Jobst Brandt

>> Amazing what one can do with a $150 camera these days.

>Yesbut, your lighting betrays your professionalism.
>
>At a guess, you turned off the built-in flash (which would have
>hilariously overexposed the derailer) and used a hot light, or as us
>cheap photographers call them, "halogen work lights, $15 with stand on
>sale."
>
>--
>Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
>"I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
>to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>In article <[email protected]>,
> RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...

>> 7700ss

lower

seen.

>> > http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700.jpg
>> > http://www.rickschiller.com/der7700_.jpg
>> >
>> >Excellent photos. Keep up the good work. Meanwhile, I'm sure

you
>> can
>> >find the answer at better bicycle shops.
>> >
>> >Jobst Brandt

>> Amazing what one can do with a $150 camera these days.

>Yesbut, your lighting betrays your professionalism.
>
>At a guess, you turned off the built-in flash (which would have
>hilariously overexposed the derailer) and used a hot light, or as us
>cheap photographers call them, "halogen work lights, $15 with stand

on
>sale."
>
>--
>Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
>"I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
>to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Ok, I'm busted, I was a professional photographer but have dropped
it. Lighting is all judgement calls, Halogen is as you say the $15 choice
and not a good one because they have a very low Kelvin temperature
and will shift colors very warm to red. You can compensate to get
neutral tones but few amateurs would have a clue. I used the cheesy
on camera flash on the back side photo of the derailleur, front photo
no flash, all natural light. No reflectors, no nothing. Its all
judgement calls and seeing the light. I never shot digitally as a pro,
always used film. My original comment stands, its a 4M $150 Canon
digital. Amazing how convenient its all gotten. And a little Photoshop
tweaking never hurts. EBay here I come . . . . .