Odd pedal powered contraption sighted

Jarkko Altonen

Guest
I saw this guy on Epping road [SYD] on Friday, riding a 3 or 4 wheeled pedal powered contraption,
that appeared to combine the disadvantages of a cycle and a car.

ie: you have to pedal it, but lose the main advantages of a cycle in traffic: Lane Splitting,
agility, and excellent visibilty.

This thing involved the rider in a reclined position like a hammock with pedals out in front. Hmm.
Looked like a lower version of the "silly cycle" that you sometimes see families driving around in
centennial park.

Anyway I saw this guy almost get cleaned up by cars TWICE in about 30 seconds. It appears that
because this thing is so low to the ground, people just weren't spotting it. This guy was mixing it
with 80kph traffic on Epping rd, and trundling along at about 20?kph maybe . Looked really perilous.
He had a little flag sticking up in a vain attempt at visibility, but it was obvious from what I
saw, that it wasnt working.

Anyone know what these contraptions are? Are they for the dsiabled?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:27:09 GMT, [email protected] (Jarkko Altonen) wrote:

> I saw this guy on Epping road [SYD] on Friday, riding a 3 or 4 wheeled pedal powered contraption,
> that appeared to combine the disadvantages of a cycle and a car.
>
> ie: you have to pedal it, but lose the main advantages of a cycle in traffic: Lane Splitting,
> agility, and excellent visibilty.
>
> This thing involved the rider in a reclined position like a hammock with pedals out in front. Hmm.
> Looked like a lower version of the "silly cycle" that you sometimes see families driving around in
> centennial park.
>
> Anyway I saw this guy almost get cleaned up by cars TWICE in about 30 seconds. It appears that
> because this thing is so low to the ground, people just weren't spotting it. This guy was mixing
> it with 80kph traffic on Epping rd, and trundling along at about 20?kph maybe . Looked really
> perilous. He had a little flag sticking up in a vain attempt at visibility, but it was obvious
> from what I saw, that it wasnt working.
>
> Anyone know what these contraptions are? Are they for the dsiabled?

They are for Critical Mass riders who have made me late for the pub.

Originally posted by Jarkko Altonen

Take a look at www.recumbents.com

Hey Jerkko,

Seen it before mate:

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=g:thl578524801d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UT
F-8&selm=3849a080.2903218%40news.comcen.com.au

cut and pasted from 4 years ago eh..

GK

Jarkko Altonen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ef1ac6c.3137512@news-server...
> I saw this guy on Epping road [SYD] on Friday, riding a 3 or 4 wheeled pedal powered contraption,
> that appeared to combine the disadvantages of a cycle and a car.
>
> ie: you have to pedal it, but lose the main advantages of a cycle in traffic: Lane Splitting,
> agility, and excellent visibilty.
>
> This thing involved the rider in a reclined position like a hammock with pedals out in front. Hmm.
> Looked like a lower version of the "silly cycle" that you sometimes see families driving around in
> centennial park.
>
> Anyway I saw this guy almost get cleaned up by cars TWICE in about 30 seconds. It appears that
> because this thing is so low to the ground, people just weren't spotting it. This guy was mixing
> it with 80kph traffic on Epping rd, and trundling along at about 20?kph maybe . Looked really
> perilous. He had a little flag sticking up in a vain attempt at visibility, but it was obvious
> from what I saw, that it wasnt working.
>
> Anyone know what these contraptions are? Are they for the dsiabled?

It's is of course a recumbent, and they are good for people who are disabled. I have a friend who
loves bikes, and has had brain surgery at the expense of his balance. He now walks around like he is
drunk all the time. He cannot ride a normal bike, can't drive, and has trouble with buses, but uses
recumbent to get himself around - very effectively.

It is true that they do combine the worst aspects of cars and bikes in many ways, but are
comfortable and effective.
---
DFM