odd rim profiles

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Art M, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Art M

    Art M Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Art M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What's the rationale/aerodynamics behind some of the odd rim profiles available? Specifically,
    > > the cutaway between the spoke holes on the Ksyriums and the inverted cross-sectional curve of
    > > Alex R390 rims (pic at
    > >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=113&subcategory=1128&
    > > sku=1128&brand= ).
    > >
    > > --Art
    >
    > Dunno about the Alex rims, but the Ksyriums cutouts are for reducing weight.
    >
    > Mike

    If you want to look at rim cross-sections, look through the QBP catalog, in particular:
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=RM7530

    The R390 is an odd cross-section, but I'm not sure I believe the miraculous properties listed on the
    Alex site: "Lighter yet stronger than conventional road bike rims with its inside arch design, it
    also helps to reduce wind resistance. The thicker inner wall prevents rim deformation caused by hard
    braking and improves durability, the deep round inner wall prevents the rim strip from moving from
    side to side, and the inner convex design fits the rim sleeve tightly."

    (from http://www.alexrims.com/oe/index.htm - click on "Road Pro" then "R390" )

    Jeff

  4. Art-<< What's the rationale/aerodynamics behind some of the odd rim profiles available?
    Specifically, the cutaway between the spoke holes on the Ksyriums and the inverted cross-sectional
    curve of Alex R390 rims (pic at
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=113&subcategory=1128& sku=1128&brand= ).
    >><BR><BR>

    Like a gent at Interbike said about a really wierd front der I was looking at-

    " what's that thing for?", I ask.

    "For selling", he says.

  5. Art M

    Art M Guest

    > Art-<< What's the rationale/aerodynamics behind some of the odd rim
    profiles
    > available? Specifically, the cutaway between the spoke holes on the Ksyriums and the inverted cross-
    > sectional curve of Alex R390 rims (pic at

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=113&subcategory=1128&
    > sku=1128&brand= ).
    > >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Like a gent at Interbike said about a really wierd front der I was looking
    at-

    > " what's that thing for?", I ask.
    >
    > "For selling", he says.

    LOL. You have a nice economy of dialog. The thing that threw me about the Alex rim was that you
    usually don't see that much flair in a bike product that's so inexepensive.

    --Art

  6. Art M

    Art M Guest

    Thanks for the links.

    There seem to be a many medium aero rims that meet at an angle with the breaking surface. I would
    hope that someone has tested and found that any small hit on drag there is less than the improvement
    at the tire to rim junction. Or is it just another marketer's whim.

    --Art

    news:[email protected]...