Odd spoke tension question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mario Mirabile, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I have a set of Open Pros on Centaur hubs, DT 14-15-14 spokes, brass
    nipples. On the rear drive side, spoke tension is a pretty even 100 KgF
    (measured with a Park tensiometer) all the way round except one spoke which
    has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly dramatc flat spot.
    I've stress-relieved as per the recommended squeeze in pairs method.

    I got these wheels second hand, so I can't attest as to the original
    condition of the rim. I'm reasonably sure they have been lightly used and
    not crashed.

    Is this unusual, and will the one loose spoke be likely to cause problems
    in the long run? Will swapping to a different length spoke in that one spot
    enable me to bring it up to even tension?

    Thanks in advance

    Mario
    Mario Mirabile Melbourne, Australia
    mariomATconnexusDOTnetDOTau

  2. mario-<< all the way round except one spoke which
    has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly dramatc flat spot.
    I've stress-relieved as per the recommended squeeze in pairs method. >><BR><BR>

    I would say the rim is 'dented' or pushed in at that spot. I would recommend
    getting the tension as close to the rest of the wheel or loosening or broken
    spokes at that spot is likely.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mario Mirabile wrote:
    > I have a set of Open Pros on Centaur hubs, DT 14-15-14 spokes, brass
    > nipples. On the rear drive side, spoke tension is a pretty even 100
    > KgF (measured with a Park tensiometer) all the way round except one
    > spoke which has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly
    > dramatc flat spot.

    Is that spoke at or near the rim joint? It's common to have some
    weirdness there.

    ~PB

  4. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Mario Mirabile" wrote:(clip) Will swapping to a different length spoke in
    that one spot enable me to bring it up to even tension?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No. If you change the spoke length, assuming it still threads into the
    nipple, will simply result in a different length of engagement. This could
    cause other problems, but it won't solve this one.

  5. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > mario-<< all the way round except one spoke which
    > has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly dramatc flat spot.
    > I've stress-relieved as per the recommended squeeze in pairs method. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > I would say the rim is 'dented' or pushed in at that spot. I would recommend
    > getting the tension as close to the rest of the wheel or loosening or broken
    > spokes at that spot is likely.

    But just make sure it isn't a thick single gauge spoke in a wheel built
    with DB spokes
    /Marten