Odd spoke tension question

Mario Mirabile

Guest
Hi

I have a set of Open Pros on Centaur hubs, DT 14-15-14 spokes, brass
nipples. On the rear drive side, spoke tension is a pretty even 100 KgF
(measured with a Park tensiometer) all the way round except one spoke which
has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly dramatc flat spot.
I've stress-relieved as per the recommended squeeze in pairs method.

I got these wheels second hand, so I can't attest as to the original
condition of the rim. I'm reasonably sure they have been lightly used and
not crashed.

Is this unusual, and will the one loose spoke be likely to cause problems
in the long run? Will swapping to a different length spoke in that one spot
enable me to bring it up to even tension?

Thanks in advance

Mario
Mario Mirabile Melbourne, Australia
mariomATconnexusDOTnetDOTau

mario-<< all the way round except one spoke which
has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly dramatc flat spot.
I've stress-relieved as per the recommended squeeze in pairs method. >><BR><BR>

I would say the rim is 'dented' or pushed in at that spot. I would recommend
getting the tension as close to the rest of the wheel or loosening or broken
spokes at that spot is likely.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Mario Mirabile wrote:
> I have a set of Open Pros on Centaur hubs, DT 14-15-14 spokes, brass
> nipples. On the rear drive side, spoke tension is a pretty even 100
> KgF (measured with a Park tensiometer) all the way round except one
> spoke which has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly
> dramatc flat spot.

Is that spoke at or near the rim joint? It's common to have some
weirdness there.

~PB

"Mario Mirabile" wrote:(clip) Will swapping to a different length spoke in
that one spot enable me to bring it up to even tension?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. If you change the spoke length, assuming it still threads into the
nipple, will simply result in a different length of engagement. This could
cause other problems, but it won't solve this one.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> mario-<< all the way round except one spoke which
> has to be backed off to around 60 KgF to avoid a fairly dramatc flat spot.
> I've stress-relieved as per the recommended squeeze in pairs method. >><BR><BR>
>
> I would say the rim is 'dented' or pushed in at that spot. I would recommend
> getting the tension as close to the rest of the wheel or loosening or broken
> spokes at that spot is likely.

But just make sure it isn't a thick single gauge spoke in a wheel built
with DB spokes
/Marten