Odd Symptom --- diet related?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Marengo, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    over the thermostat because I want it colder.

    FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
    Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
    cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
    I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
    flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
    extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
    lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
    of when I test it.

    Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
    feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
    in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.

    Just for background, for the past 3 weeks I've been keeping my carb
    intake around 40g/day (thanks Roger, I didn't need to keep them any
    lower); I've avoided most dairy (not permanently but just to help cut
    back on calories for awhile). I've been limiting my calories to
    around 1200/day, and I'm having trouble eating that much; I'm having
    to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry -- especially at
    lunchtime. I've been eating a McDonald's bacon ranch salad without
    the croutons and no dressing most days for lunch, and my evening meals
    has been very basic: either meat/chicken/fish and vegetables with a
    sprinkling of grated parmesan .. or Hannah Guren's ItalianSausage
    soup. The only snacks I eat are snow cones with Splenda sweetened
    DaVinci syrups. Been trying to walk as much as possible for exercise
    (I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of exercise I can
    do).

    I'm not going to post my new weight yet; I don't want to jinx it. When
    I reach goal I'm going to post the "after" pictures alongside the
    "before" on my web site.

    But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?

    TIA
    --

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Marengo wrote:
    :: For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get
    :: warm. This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always
    :: fighting over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    ::
[...]

    Lowered metabolism, maybe? 1200/day, rapid weight loss means a big jolt to
    the system. It is colder here, though. BTW, I enjoy those McD bacon ranch
    salads, too.

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I'll assume you're a T-1 or 2 since you said your sugars are good. I've
    noticed I feel colder lately too. I just figured it was the diabetes, I'm a
    T2. I can't backup my conclusions with any real hard data, but to me it
    seems the higher my numbers are the colder I feel. If my BG goes above
    110mg/dl I feel colder and when I keep it closer to 100, I tend to feel
    warmer.
    Considering I live in the desert, I should never feel cold. (lol) The
    humidity has been 70% the last few days, maybe thats why I'm cold.

    --
    Joe W
    T2 Nov '05

    "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    > This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    > over the thermostat because I want it colder.

    > But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    >
    > Peter

  4. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:48:42 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    |Marengo wrote:
    |:: For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get
    |:: warm. This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always
    |:: fighting over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    |::
    |:: FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
    |:: Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
    |:: cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
    |:: I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
    |:: flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
    |:: extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the
    |:: blood lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect
    |:: regardless of when I test it.

    <snip>

    |Lowered metabolism, maybe? 1200/day, rapid weight loss means a big jolt to
    |the system. It is colder here, though. BTW, I enjoy those McD bacon ranch
    |salads, too.

    I don't know, maybe it is metabolism starting to slow down. I'm going
    to start eating a little more though anyway , I never intended to lose
    this fast (or thought that I could) and it's surprised me. So far
    the fabled "starvation mode" hasn't kicked in, maybe because I'm
    getting balanced vitamins and minerals. It instinctively just
    doesn't seem like it can be healthy though to lose this fast --
    although I feel great and have more energy than ever. I track
    everything I eat on Fitday (downloaded version) including my
    supplements, and I'm getting way more than the RDA of everything.

    Actually I just re-read my post and realized that I'm complaining
    about feeling cold, and I'm eating snow cones for snacks! DUH! lol

    --

    Peter

  5. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:26:48 GMT, "Joe"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    |I'll assume you're a T-1 or 2 since you said your sugars are good. I've
    |noticed I feel colder lately too. I just figured it was the diabetes, I'm a
    |T2. I can't backup my conclusions with any real hard data, but to me it
    |seems the higher my numbers are the colder I feel. If my BG goes above
    |110mg/dl I feel colder and when I keep it closer to 100, I tend to feel
    |warmer.
    |Considering I live in the desert, I should never feel cold. (lol) The
    |humidity has been 70% the last few days, maybe thats why I'm cold.

    Yes, I'm T2,but it's controlled just with diet, I haven't had to take
    any medications for it so far. It's been over two years now since my
    diagnosis, and every day I count my blessings that I knew about
    low-carb eating so I haven't had to start on that slippery slope of
    more chemicals, at least not yet. My last HbA1c was 5.1

    I'm actually wondering if it's not the rapid weight loss, but the
    plunging levels of cholesterol triglycerides that's somehow causing
    the cold sensations. Thinner blood maybe? I have nothing to base
    that on, just taking stabs in the dark.

    --

    Peter

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Marengo wrote:
    :: On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:48:42 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    :: <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Marengo wrote:
    ::::: For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get
    ::::: warm. This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always
    ::::: fighting over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    :::::
[...]

    Haha. It's always the little things that slip by.

    It's kinda chilly to be snow cones, isn't it? I guess you need to use your
    new toy, huh?

  7. Jbuch

    Jbuch Guest

    Marengo wrote:
    > For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    > This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    > over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    >
    > FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
    > Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
    > cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
    > I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
    > flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
    > extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
    > lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
    > of when I test it.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
    > feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
    > in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.
    >
    > Just for background, for the past 3 weeks I've been keeping my carb
    > intake around 40g/day (thanks Roger, I didn't need to keep them any
    > lower); I've avoided most dairy (not permanently but just to help cut
    > back on calories for awhile). I've been limiting my calories to
    > around 1200/day, and I'm having trouble eating that much; I'm having
    > to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry -- especially at
    > lunchtime. I've been eating a McDonald's bacon ranch salad without
    > the croutons and no dressing most days for lunch, and my evening meals
    > has been very basic: either meat/chicken/fish and vegetables with a
    > sprinkling of grated parmesan .. or Hannah Guren's ItalianSausage
    > soup. The only snacks I eat are snow cones with Splenda sweetened
    > DaVinci syrups. Been trying to walk as much as possible for exercise
    > (I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of exercise I can
    > do).
    >
    > I'm not going to post my new weight yet; I don't want to jinx it. When
    > I reach goal I'm going to post the "after" pictures alongside the
    > "before" on my web site.
    >
    > But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA

    I had that for about two weeks.

    It went away.

    No idea of what caused it, or what made it go away.

    There was a lot of wind from Spring springing, and a lot of overcast skies.

    Jim

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

  8. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Marengo wrote:
    > For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    > This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    > over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    >
    > FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
    > Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
    > cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
    > I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
    > flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
    > extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
    > lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
    > of when I test it.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
    > feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
    > in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.

    Absolutely, by down regulating your thyroid; we've discussed this before.

    Ketosis, like very low calorie dieting and rapid weight loss, down
    regulates your thyroid. What happens is that your active T3 goes low
    and inactive rT3 goes up. You may want to have this tested (not just a
    TSH test).

    In my case, when very low carb knocked my T3 low, taking up to 1000mcg
    of chromium GTF per day got it up and running again. To this day, too
    much GTF gives me hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm not recommending it,
    though, you need to be checked out by a doc.

    SUsan

  9. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    At 320 I would go out in 40 degree weather in shirtsleeves. After losing
    all the weight I get chilled and have to keep the house at 73 degrees, or
    wear sweaters....

    Diet related, yes, and partly the missing fat. Fat is both an insulator and
    generates body heat.

    "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    > This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    > over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    >
    > FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
    > Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
    > cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
    > I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
    > flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
    > extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
    > lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
    > of when I test it.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
    > feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
    > in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.
    >
    > Just for background, for the past 3 weeks I've been keeping my carb
    > intake around 40g/day (thanks Roger, I didn't need to keep them any
    > lower); I've avoided most dairy (not permanently but just to help cut
    > back on calories for awhile). I've been limiting my calories to
    > around 1200/day, and I'm having trouble eating that much; I'm having
    > to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry -- especially at
    > lunchtime. I've been eating a McDonald's bacon ranch salad without
    > the croutons and no dressing most days for lunch, and my evening meals
    > has been very basic: either meat/chicken/fish and vegetables with a
    > sprinkling of grated parmesan .. or Hannah Guren's ItalianSausage
    > soup. The only snacks I eat are snow cones with Splenda sweetened
    > DaVinci syrups. Been trying to walk as much as possible for exercise
    > (I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of exercise I can
    > do).
    >
    > I'm not going to post my new weight yet; I don't want to jinx it. When
    > I reach goal I'm going to post the "after" pictures alongside the
    > "before" on my web site.
    >
    > But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    >
    > Peter

  10. I get this too but rather than being consistently cold my temp seems to
    swing up and down when I eat.

    I'm thinking that the time when it drops (and I haven't eaten for
    awhile) I'm skating along the edge of "starvation mode" and my body is
    starting to get worried and is downregulating my metabolism.

    But I don't know for sure.

    I've lost 22 lbs in 5 weeks (35 days) so it's going at about the same
    speed yours is.

    LQ

  11. Laureen

    Laureen Guest

    I find I get chilled after a cold drink even. I double coat to walk now
    and before at 410 pounds I was never cold. I never worried about a
    coat. Now I have one in each of my vehicles "just in case". Funny how
    losing your insulation changes your thought pattern. Sometimes I walk
    out the front door and feel the chill in the air and wimp out and wait
    for the sun to come out before walking LOL.

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/freakinlunachick/album?.dir=/90dd&.src=ph&.tok=phhJ9gCBLmL1VUob

    Laureen
    410/180/180

  12. Susan wrote:
    > Marengo wrote:
    >
    > > For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    > > This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    > > over the thermostat because I want it colder.

    > > Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
    > > feeling cold?

    It's reported by a fair number of people. A smaller number report
    feeling more heat (I got that during induction then it tapered off).
    Seems to be a short term thing most of the time.

    > Absolutely, by down regulating your thyroid; we've discussed this before.

    I've posted about the interaction among dietary carbs, T3 and leptin.

    > Ketosis, like very low calorie dieting and rapid weight loss, down
    > regulates your thyroid. What happens is that your active T3 goes low
    > and inactive rT3 goes up. You may want to have this tested (not just a
    > TSH test).
    >
    > In my case, when very low carb knocked my T3 low, taking up to 1000mcg
    > of chromium GTF per day got it up and running again. To this day, too
    > much GTF gives me hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm not recommending it,
    > though, you need to be checked out by a doc.

    There's also the possibility of doing a couple of weeks switched from
    low carb to low fat if the coldness persists for several weeks. The
    theory is that leptin is set by stored fat plus by dietary carbs so
    losing stored fat can decrease it and so can very low carbs. Boost
    either stored fat or dietary carbs and you boost leptin for a couple of
    months. Not a difficult decision for most between boosting stored
    fat and dietary carbs ;^) With all the potential problems of a binge,
    the least dangerous way to carb up seems to be a temporary switch
    from low carb to low fat and then back.

  13. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:26:48 GMT, "Joe"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > Yes, I'm T2,but it's controlled just with diet, I haven't had to take
    > any medications for it so far. It's been over two years now since my
    > diagnosis, and every day I count my blessings that I knew about
    > low-carb eating so I haven't had to start on that slippery slope of
    > more chemicals, at least not yet. My last HbA1c was 5.1
    >
    > I'm actually wondering if it's not the rapid weight loss, but the
    > plunging levels of cholesterol triglycerides that's somehow causing
    > the cold sensations. Thinner blood maybe? I have nothing to base
    > that on, just taking stabs in the dark.

    Funny you should say that. My last HbA1c was much lower(5.7) then the
    previous one of 8+. My triglycerides are down from 99 to 52 and I'm down 27
    lbs.

    Who knows, maybe it is the lower triglycerides & the weight loss. ??????

    --
    Joe W
    T2 Nov '05
    30mg Actos, 3gr(1/2 tsp or 500mg pill) Cinnamon, Diet(>100 carbs) &
    30 minute walk(everyday) & BowFlex 3x/week
    *****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****

  14. I've been cold the past couple weeks too.

    It didn't occur to me that it could be either diet-related or
    metabolic. Just that... we had about ten days where the highs were in
    the 50's, 60's and even 70's a couple times. It being back in the 40's
    again - I am cold.

    All freaking winter, I've been the one putting the thermostat down,
    running out without a coat, etc. Now... I'm cold in the house, need a
    coat for outdoors, etc. Same temp it was a few weeks ago, but...

    Gosh, I fell in love with spring and then it went away.

  15. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Laureen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I find I get chilled after a cold drink even. I double coat to walk now
    > and before at 410 pounds I was never cold. I never worried about a
    > coat. Now I have one in each of my vehicles "just in case". Funny how
    > losing your insulation changes your thought pattern. Sometimes I walk
    > out the front door and feel the chill in the air and wimp out and wait
    > for the sun to come out before walking LOL.

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/freakinlunachick/album?.dir=/90dd&.src=ph&.tok=phhJ9gCBLmL1VUob

    Larry's eyes got bigger! :)
    --
    Sherry
    364/290/195 (4/3/05)

  16. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On 22 Mar 2006 11:08:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    |I've been cold the past couple weeks too.
    |
    |It didn't occur to me that it could be either diet-related or
    |metabolic. Just that... we had about ten days where the highs were in
    |the 50's, 60's and even 70's a couple times. It being back in the 40's
    |again - I am cold.
    |
    |All freaking winter, I've been the one putting the thermostat down,
    |running out without a coat, etc. Now... I'm cold in the house, need a
    |coat for outdoors, etc. Same temp it was a few weeks ago, but...
    |
    |Gosh, I fell in love with spring and then it went away.

    Same here in Southeast Virginia. We had a very mild spring-like
    winter capped by seemingly jumping right into summer -- it was in the
    80's early last week. Then Mother Nature decided to slap us around a
    little... it turned cold and we had snow flurries a couple of days
    ago! Wish the weather would make up its mind.

    --

    Peter

  17. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:47:14 -0500, Susan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    |x-no-archive: yes
    |
    |Marengo wrote:
    |> For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
    |> This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
    |> over the thermostat because I want it colder.
    |>
    |> FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
    |> Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
    |> cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
    |> I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
    |> flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
    |> extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
    |> lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
    |> of when I test it.
    |>
    |> Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
    |> feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
    |> in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.
    |
    |Absolutely, by down regulating your thyroid; we've discussed this before.
    |
    |Ketosis, like very low calorie dieting and rapid weight loss, down
    |regulates your thyroid. What happens is that your active T3 goes low
    |and inactive rT3 goes up. You may want to have this tested (not just a
    |TSH test).

    I considered thyroid, but wouldn't my weight loss slow if I was hypo?

    |In my case, when very low carb knocked my T3 low, taking up to 1000mcg
    |of chromium GTF per day got it up and running again. To this day, too
    |much GTF gives me hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm not recommending it,
    |though, you need to be checked out by a doc.
    |
    |SUsan

  18. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On 22 Mar 2006 11:08:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > |I've been cold the past couple weeks too.
    > |
    > |It didn't occur to me that it could be either diet-related or
    > |metabolic. Just that... we had about ten days where the highs were in
    > |the 50's, 60's and even 70's a couple times. It being back in the 40's
    > |again - I am cold.
    > |
    > |All freaking winter, I've been the one putting the thermostat down,
    > |running out without a coat, etc. Now... I'm cold in the house, need a
    > |coat for outdoors, etc. Same temp it was a few weeks ago, but...
    > |
    > |Gosh, I fell in love with spring and then it went away.
    >
    > Same here in Southeast Virginia. We had a very mild spring-like
    > winter capped by seemingly jumping right into summer -- it was in the
    > 80's early last week. Then Mother Nature decided to slap us around a
    > little... it turned cold and we had snow flurries a couple of days
    > ago! Wish the weather would make up its mind.

    Well, you know what they say -- March comes in like a lion and goes out
    like a lamb. Maybe it's in a goat phase :)

    --
    Saffire
    205/136/125

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  19. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Marengo wrote:

    > I considered thyroid, but wouldn't my weight loss slow if I was hypo?

    Maybe not; from what I've read, slowed thyroid happens in all ketogenic
    or very low calorie dieters. Yours may still be in the normal range,
    just lower. Mine fell off the bottom of the chart, (it had been very
    low normal) and I gained weight.

    Susan