Odd Symptom --- diet related?

Marengo

Guest
For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
over the thermostat because I want it colder.

FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
of when I test it.

Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.

Just for background, for the past 3 weeks I've been keeping my carb
intake around 40g/day (thanks Roger, I didn't need to keep them any
lower); I've avoided most dairy (not permanently but just to help cut
back on calories for awhile). I've been limiting my calories to
around 1200/day, and I'm having trouble eating that much; I'm having
to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry -- especially at
lunchtime. I've been eating a McDonald's bacon ranch salad without
the croutons and no dressing most days for lunch, and my evening meals
has been very basic: either meat/chicken/fish and vegetables with a
sprinkling of grated parmesan .. or Hannah Guren's ItalianSausage
soup. The only snacks I eat are snow cones with Splenda sweetened
DaVinci syrups. Been trying to walk as much as possible for exercise
(I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of exercise I can
do).

I'm not going to post my new weight yet; I don't want to jinx it. When
I reach goal I'm going to post the "after" pictures alongside the
"before" on my web site.

But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?

TIA
--

Peter

Marengo wrote:
:: For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get
:: warm. This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always
:: fighting over the thermostat because I want it colder.
::
[...]

Lowered metabolism, maybe? 1200/day, rapid weight loss means a big jolt to
the system. It is colder here, though. BTW, I enjoy those McD bacon ranch
salads, too.

I'll assume you're a T-1 or 2 since you said your sugars are good. I've
noticed I feel colder lately too. I just figured it was the diabetes, I'm a
T2. I can't backup my conclusions with any real hard data, but to me it
seems the higher my numbers are the colder I feel. If my BG goes above
110mg/dl I feel colder and when I keep it closer to 100, I tend to feel
warmer.
Considering I live in the desert, I should never feel cold. (lol) The
humidity has been 70% the last few days, maybe thats why I'm cold.

--
Joe W
T2 Nov '05

"Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
> This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
> over the thermostat because I want it colder.

> But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?
>
> TIA
> --
>
> Peter

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:48:42 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

|Marengo wrote:
|:: For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get
|:: warm. This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always
|:: fighting over the thermostat because I want it colder.
|::
|:: FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
|:: Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
|:: cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
|:: I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
|:: flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
|:: extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the
|:: blood lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect
|:: regardless of when I test it.

<snip>

|Lowered metabolism, maybe? 1200/day, rapid weight loss means a big jolt to
|the system. It is colder here, though. BTW, I enjoy those McD bacon ranch
|salads, too.

I don't know, maybe it is metabolism starting to slow down. I'm going
to start eating a little more though anyway , I never intended to lose
this fast (or thought that I could) and it's surprised me. So far
the fabled "starvation mode" hasn't kicked in, maybe because I'm
getting balanced vitamins and minerals. It instinctively just
doesn't seem like it can be healthy though to lose this fast --
although I feel great and have more energy than ever. I track
everything I eat on Fitday (downloaded version) including my
supplements, and I'm getting way more than the RDA of everything.

Actually I just re-read my post and realized that I'm complaining
about feeling cold, and I'm eating snow cones for snacks! DUH! lol

--

Peter

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:26:48 GMT, "Joe"
<[email protected]> wrote:

|I'll assume you're a T-1 or 2 since you said your sugars are good. I've
|noticed I feel colder lately too. I just figured it was the diabetes, I'm a
|T2. I can't backup my conclusions with any real hard data, but to me it
|seems the higher my numbers are the colder I feel. If my BG goes above
|110mg/dl I feel colder and when I keep it closer to 100, I tend to feel
|warmer.
|Considering I live in the desert, I should never feel cold. (lol) The
|humidity has been 70% the last few days, maybe thats why I'm cold.

Yes, I'm T2,but it's controlled just with diet, I haven't had to take
any medications for it so far. It's been over two years now since my
diagnosis, and every day I count my blessings that I knew about
low-carb eating so I haven't had to start on that slippery slope of
more chemicals, at least not yet. My last HbA1c was 5.1

I'm actually wondering if it's not the rapid weight loss, but the
plunging levels of cholesterol triglycerides that's somehow causing
the cold sensations. Thinner blood maybe? I have nothing to base
that on, just taking stabs in the dark.

--

Peter

Marengo wrote:
:: On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:48:42 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
:: <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: Marengo wrote:
::::: For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get
::::: warm. This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always
::::: fighting over the thermostat because I want it colder.
:::::
[...]

Haha. It's always the little things that slip by.

It's kinda chilly to be snow cones, isn't it? I guess you need to use your
new toy, huh?

Marengo wrote:
> For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
> This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
> over the thermostat because I want it colder.
>
> FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
> Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
> cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
> I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
> flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
> extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
> lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
> of when I test it.
>
> Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
> feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
> in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.
>
> Just for background, for the past 3 weeks I've been keeping my carb
> intake around 40g/day (thanks Roger, I didn't need to keep them any
> lower); I've avoided most dairy (not permanently but just to help cut
> back on calories for awhile). I've been limiting my calories to
> around 1200/day, and I'm having trouble eating that much; I'm having
> to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry -- especially at
> lunchtime. I've been eating a McDonald's bacon ranch salad without
> the croutons and no dressing most days for lunch, and my evening meals
> has been very basic: either meat/chicken/fish and vegetables with a
> sprinkling of grated parmesan .. or Hannah Guren's ItalianSausage
> soup. The only snacks I eat are snow cones with Splenda sweetened
> DaVinci syrups. Been trying to walk as much as possible for exercise
> (I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of exercise I can
> do).
>
> I'm not going to post my new weight yet; I don't want to jinx it. When
> I reach goal I'm going to post the "after" pictures alongside the
> "before" on my web site.
>
> But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?
>
> TIA

I had that for about two weeks.

It went away.

No idea of what caused it, or what made it go away.

There was a lot of wind from Spring springing, and a lot of overcast skies.

Jim

--
1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

x-no-archive: yes

Marengo wrote:
> For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
> This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
> over the thermostat because I want it colder.
>
> FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
> Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
> cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
> I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
> flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
> extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
> lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
> of when I test it.
>
> Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
> feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
> in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.

Absolutely, by down regulating your thyroid; we've discussed this before.

Ketosis, like very low calorie dieting and rapid weight loss, down
regulates your thyroid. What happens is that your active T3 goes low
and inactive rT3 goes up. You may want to have this tested (not just a
TSH test).

In my case, when very low carb knocked my T3 low, taking up to 1000mcg
of chromium GTF per day got it up and running again. To this day, too
much GTF gives me hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm not recommending it,
though, you need to be checked out by a doc.

SUsan

At 320 I would go out in 40 degree weather in shirtsleeves. After losing
all the weight I get chilled and have to keep the house at 73 degrees, or
wear sweaters....

Diet related, yes, and partly the missing fat. Fat is both an insulator and
generates body heat.

"Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
> This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
> over the thermostat because I want it colder.
>
> FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
> Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
> cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
> I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
> flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
> extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
> lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
> of when I test it.
>
> Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
> feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
> in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.
>
> Just for background, for the past 3 weeks I've been keeping my carb
> intake around 40g/day (thanks Roger, I didn't need to keep them any
> lower); I've avoided most dairy (not permanently but just to help cut
> back on calories for awhile). I've been limiting my calories to
> around 1200/day, and I'm having trouble eating that much; I'm having
> to remember to eat because I'm not getting hungry -- especially at
> lunchtime. I've been eating a McDonald's bacon ranch salad without
> the croutons and no dressing most days for lunch, and my evening meals
> has been very basic: either meat/chicken/fish and vegetables with a
> sprinkling of grated parmesan .. or Hannah Guren's ItalianSausage
> soup. The only snacks I eat are snow cones with Splenda sweetened
> DaVinci syrups. Been trying to walk as much as possible for exercise
> (I have a physical disability that limits the kinds of exercise I can
> do).
>
> I'm not going to post my new weight yet; I don't want to jinx it. When
> I reach goal I'm going to post the "after" pictures alongside the
> "before" on my web site.
>
> But this cold feeling is bugging me. Any ideas?
>
> TIA
> --
>
> Peter

I get this too but rather than being consistently cold my temp seems to
swing up and down when I eat.

I'm thinking that the time when it drops (and I haven't eaten for
awhile) I'm skating along the edge of "starvation mode" and my body is
starting to get worried and is downregulating my metabolism.

But I don't know for sure.

I've lost 22 lbs in 5 weeks (35 days) so it's going at about the same
speed yours is.

LQ

I find I get chilled after a cold drink even. I double coat to walk now
and before at 410 pounds I was never cold. I never worried about a
coat. Now I have one in each of my vehicles "just in case". Funny how
losing your insulation changes your thought pattern. Sometimes I walk
out the front door and feel the chill in the air and wimp out and wait
for the sun to come out before walking LOL.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/freakinlunachick/album?.dir=/90dd&.src=ph&.tok=phhJ9gCBLmL1VUob

Laureen
410/180/180

Susan wrote:
> Marengo wrote:
>
> > For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
> > This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
> > over the thermostat because I want it colder.

> > Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
> > feeling cold?

It's reported by a fair number of people. A smaller number report
feeling more heat (I got that during induction then it tapered off).
Seems to be a short term thing most of the time.

> Absolutely, by down regulating your thyroid; we've discussed this before.

I've posted about the interaction among dietary carbs, T3 and leptin.

> Ketosis, like very low calorie dieting and rapid weight loss, down
> regulates your thyroid. What happens is that your active T3 goes low
> and inactive rT3 goes up. You may want to have this tested (not just a
> TSH test).
>
> In my case, when very low carb knocked my T3 low, taking up to 1000mcg
> of chromium GTF per day got it up and running again. To this day, too
> much GTF gives me hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm not recommending it,
> though, you need to be checked out by a doc.

There's also the possibility of doing a couple of weeks switched from
low carb to low fat if the coldness persists for several weeks. The
theory is that leptin is set by stored fat plus by dietary carbs so
losing stored fat can decrease it and so can very low carbs. Boost
either stored fat or dietary carbs and you boost leptin for a couple of
months. Not a difficult decision for most between boosting stored
fat and dietary carbs ;^) With all the potential problems of a binge,
the least dangerous way to carb up seems to be a temporary switch
from low carb to low fat and then back.

"Marengo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:26:48 GMT, "Joe"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> Yes, I'm T2,but it's controlled just with diet, I haven't had to take
> any medications for it so far. It's been over two years now since my
> diagnosis, and every day I count my blessings that I knew about
> low-carb eating so I haven't had to start on that slippery slope of
> more chemicals, at least not yet. My last HbA1c was 5.1
>
> I'm actually wondering if it's not the rapid weight loss, but the
> plunging levels of cholesterol triglycerides that's somehow causing
> the cold sensations. Thinner blood maybe? I have nothing to base
> that on, just taking stabs in the dark.

Funny you should say that. My last HbA1c was much lower(5.7) then the
previous one of 8+. My triglycerides are down from 99 to 52 and I'm down 27
lbs.

Who knows, maybe it is the lower triglycerides & the weight loss. ??????

--
Joe W
T2 Nov '05
30mg Actos, 3gr(1/2 tsp or 500mg pill) Cinnamon, Diet(>100 carbs) &
30 minute walk(everyday) & BowFlex 3x/week
*****Diabetes, be proactive, not reactive.*****

I've been cold the past couple weeks too.

It didn't occur to me that it could be either diet-related or
metabolic. Just that... we had about ten days where the highs were in
the 50's, 60's and even 70's a couple times. It being back in the 40's
again - I am cold.

All freaking winter, I've been the one putting the thermostat down,
running out without a coat, etc. Now... I'm cold in the house, need a
coat for outdoors, etc. Same temp it was a few weeks ago, but...

Gosh, I fell in love with spring and then it went away.

"Laureen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I find I get chilled after a cold drink even. I double coat to walk now
> and before at 410 pounds I was never cold. I never worried about a
> coat. Now I have one in each of my vehicles "just in case". Funny how
> losing your insulation changes your thought pattern. Sometimes I walk
> out the front door and feel the chill in the air and wimp out and wait
> for the sun to come out before walking LOL.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/freakinlunachick/album?.dir=/90dd&.src=ph&.tok=phhJ9gCBLmL1VUob

Larry's eyes got bigger! :)
--
Sherry
364/290/195 (4/3/05)

On 22 Mar 2006 11:08:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

|I've been cold the past couple weeks too.
|
|It didn't occur to me that it could be either diet-related or
|metabolic. Just that... we had about ten days where the highs were in
|the 50's, 60's and even 70's a couple times. It being back in the 40's
|again - I am cold.
|
|All freaking winter, I've been the one putting the thermostat down,
|running out without a coat, etc. Now... I'm cold in the house, need a
|coat for outdoors, etc. Same temp it was a few weeks ago, but...
|
|Gosh, I fell in love with spring and then it went away.

Same here in Southeast Virginia. We had a very mild spring-like
winter capped by seemingly jumping right into summer -- it was in the
80's early last week. Then Mother Nature decided to slap us around a
little... it turned cold and we had snow flurries a couple of days
ago! Wish the weather would make up its mind.

--

Peter

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:47:14 -0500, Susan <[email protected]>
wrote:

|x-no-archive: yes
|
|Marengo wrote:
|> For the past few day's I've felt cold and just can't seem to get warm.
|> This is very unusual for me, 'cause I'm the guy who's always fighting
|> over the thermostat because I want it colder.
|>
|> FYI, I've lost 17 additional pounds since February 28th (21 days).
|> Along with the fast weight loss, I'm sure that my triglyceride and
|> cholesterol levels have dropped; I know that my blood pressure has.
|> I'm also taking a fistful of supplements daily including fish oil,
|> flaxseed oil, and garlic -- besides a new prescription for
|> extended-release Niacin (Niaspan) all geared towards getting the blood
|> lipids better stabilized. My blood sugar has been perfect regardless
|> of when I test it.
|>
|> Does anyone know if this rapid weight loss could have any bearing on
|> feeling cold? I've never experienced it before. I go back to the Dr.
|> in two weeks for a blood lipid check; guess I'll mention it to him.
|
|Absolutely, by down regulating your thyroid; we've discussed this before.
|
|Ketosis, like very low calorie dieting and rapid weight loss, down
|regulates your thyroid. What happens is that your active T3 goes low
|and inactive rT3 goes up. You may want to have this tested (not just a
|TSH test).

I considered thyroid, but wouldn't my weight loss slow if I was hypo?

|In my case, when very low carb knocked my T3 low, taking up to 1000mcg
|of chromium GTF per day got it up and running again. To this day, too
|much GTF gives me hyperthyroid symptoms. I'm not recommending it,
|though, you need to be checked out by a doc.
|
|SUsan

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On 22 Mar 2006 11:08:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> |I've been cold the past couple weeks too.
> |
> |It didn't occur to me that it could be either diet-related or
> |metabolic. Just that... we had about ten days where the highs were in
> |the 50's, 60's and even 70's a couple times. It being back in the 40's
> |again - I am cold.
> |
> |All freaking winter, I've been the one putting the thermostat down,
> |running out without a coat, etc. Now... I'm cold in the house, need a
> |coat for outdoors, etc. Same temp it was a few weeks ago, but...
> |
> |Gosh, I fell in love with spring and then it went away.
>
> Same here in Southeast Virginia. We had a very mild spring-like
> winter capped by seemingly jumping right into summer -- it was in the
> 80's early last week. Then Mother Nature decided to slap us around a
> little... it turned cold and we had snow flurries a couple of days
> ago! Wish the weather would make up its mind.

Well, you know what they say -- March comes in like a lion and goes out
like a lamb. Maybe it's in a goat phase :)

--
Saffire
205/136/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

x-no-archive: yes

Marengo wrote:

> I considered thyroid, but wouldn't my weight loss slow if I was hypo?

Maybe not; from what I've read, slowed thyroid happens in all ketogenic
or very low calorie dieters. Yours may still be in the normal range,
just lower. Mine fell off the bottom of the chart, (it had been very
low normal) and I gained weight.

Susan