Oddly spec'd Trek

Scott Gordo

Guest
I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/

Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

The headscratcher is the handlebars. Someone felt that Spinaci-style
aero nubs would be a prudent spec on them. Of course, there's nothing
forcing the rider to use them (though they are a constant dare to the
kind of Type-A guy who's going to drop this kind of coin on a bike
that'll likely be ridden 5 times a year.) Bike paths are plenty
congested in NYC with pedestrians, dogs, toddlers, holes, and, uh,
other cyclists. Aero bars isn't the first thing I'd think essential
for a "Comfortable upright-riding bike".

I sense a dangerous summer approaching.

/s

On Jan 31, 10:16 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/
>
> Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.
>
> The headscratcher is the handlebars. Someone felt that Spinaci-style
> aero nubs would be a prudent spec on them. Of course, there's nothing
> forcing the rider to use them (though they are a constant dare to the
> kind of Type-A guy who's going to drop this kind of coin on a bike
> that'll likely be ridden 5 times a year.) Bike paths are plenty
> congested in NYC with pedestrians, dogs, toddlers, holes, and, uh,
> other cyclists. Aero bars isn't the first thing I'd think essential
> for a "Comfortable upright-riding bike".
>
> I sense a dangerous summer approaching.
>
> /s

Very bad thinking. Like bar ends on mountain bikes, we're going to be
seeing most of those things pointed straight up.

On Jan 31, 11:00 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 31, 10:16 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.

> >http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/

> > Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> > Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> > with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> > and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

> > The headscratcher is the handlebars. Someone felt that Spinaci-style
> > aero nubs would be a prudent spec on them. Of course, there's nothing
> > forcing the rider to use them (though they are a constant dare to the
> > kind of Type-A guy who's going to drop this kind of coin on a bike
> > that'll likely be ridden 5 times a year.) Bike paths are plenty
> > congested in NYC with pedestrians, dogs, toddlers, holes, and, uh,
> > other cyclists. Aero bars isn't the first thing I'd think essential
> > for a "Comfortable upright-riding bike".

> > I sense a dangerous summer approaching.

> > /s

> Very bad thinking.  Like bar ends on mountain bikes, we're going to be
> seeing most of those things pointed straight up.- Hide quoted text -

Re: Bar ends, most? Really? I see maybe 15% set up like that. I
know it happens, but I'd say upside down drops are more common over
here.

On Jan 31, 11:20 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:00 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Jan 31, 10:16 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.

> > >http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/

> > > Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> > > Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> > > with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> > > and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

> > > The headscratcher is the handlebars. Someone felt that Spinaci-style
> > > aero nubs would be a prudent spec on them. Of course, there's nothing
> > > forcing the rider to use them (though they are a constant dare to the
> > > kind of Type-A guy who's going to drop this kind of coin on a bike
> > > that'll likely be ridden 5 times a year.) Bike paths are plenty
> > > congested in NYC with pedestrians, dogs, toddlers, holes, and, uh,
> > > other cyclists. Aero bars isn't the first thing I'd think essential
> > > for a "Comfortable upright-riding bike".

> > > I sense a dangerous summer approaching.

> > > /s

> > Very bad thinking. Like bar ends on mountain bikes, we're going to be
> > seeing most of those things pointed straight up.- Hide quoted text -

> Re: Bar ends, most? Really? I see maybe 15% set up like that. I
> know it happens, but I'd say upside down drops are more common over
> here.

Depends on where you look. On the average bike path it seems like
well over half of the bikes that have bar ends have them pointed up.
Upside down drops (aka, "repeat offender bars") are a dying breed
around here as old road bikes are being bought up at absurd prices by
hipster kids doing fixie conversions.

On Jan 31, 11:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:20 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Very bad thinking. Like bar ends on mountain bikes, we're going to be
> > > seeing most of those things pointed straight up.- Hide quoted text -

> > Re: Bar ends, most? Really? I see maybe 15% set up like that. I
> > know it happens, but I'd say upside down drops are more common over
> > here.

> Depends on where you look. On the average bike path it seems like
> well over half of the bikes that have bar ends have them pointed up.
> Upside down drops (aka, "repeat offender bars") are a dying breed
> around here as old road bikes are being bought up at absurd prices by
> hipster kids doing fixie conversions.- Hide quoted text -

Fair enough. It's been years since I rode on a bike path, so I guess
I'm just observing different trends. The fixie craze is huge out here
too, but the rat bikes with 10lb frames manage to keep their frames,
often with "repeat offender bars". It's the nicer bikes I'd like to
have with a full compliment of gears that get converted here, such as
my Rudge SS/Fixie flip-flop. I bought it like that, if I got it with
gears I'd have kept them. I'm still considering a 1x9 setup for it.

On Jan 31, 11:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:20 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Very bad thinking.  Like bar ends on mountain bikes, we're going to be
> > > seeing most of those things pointed straight up.- Hide quoted text -

> > Re: Bar ends, most?  Really?  I see maybe 15% set up like that.  I
> > know it happens, but I'd say upside down drops are more common over
> > here.

> Depends on where you look.  On the average bike path it seems like
> well over half of the bikes that have bar ends have them pointed up.
> Upside down drops (aka, "repeat offender bars") are a dying breed
> around here as old road bikes are being bought up at absurd prices by
> hipster kids doing fixie conversions.- Hide quoted text -

Word. I've got a beautiful '70s bike with full Dura Ace on a Maruishi
frame, but the seat tube has a whopping 30 degree bend in the middle.
I've been looking for a comparable 70s or 80s Japanese replacement
frame at a reasonable price but, jeez, good luck!

/s

> http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/
>
> Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.
>
> The headscratcher is the handlebars. Someone felt that Spinaci-style
> aero nubs would be a prudent spec on them.

You're making an assumption about how these bikes are ridden that isn't
always correct. The bike in question finds use for people who want to put in
a *lot* of miles but for whatever reason just don't feel comfortable with a
drop bar (But we go out of our way to introduce everyone to the concept of a
pain-free drop bar, with a shorter/taller stem, pointing out the advantages
of the various different positions, before letting someone buy a
high-performance flat-bar road bike. In many cases, their concerns are
unfounded and, when set up properly, they're amazed at how much better the
drop-bar option is).

So many of these bikes are out there doing metric centuries, a distance long
enough that having that additional hand position can be quite useful. And
no, they're not turning the handlebars straight up.

And besides everything else, they look cool.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Scott Gordo wrote:

> Word. I've got a beautiful '70s bike with full Dura Ace on a Maruishi
> frame, but the seat tube has a whopping 30 degree bend in the middle.
> I've been looking for a comparable 70s or 80s Japanese replacement
> frame at a reasonable price but, jeez, good luck!

Wait until the backside of the fixie fad. For better or worse, those
things will return to just above their scrap value again.

A lot of them will have lost their brazeons in the process, though.

Chalo

On Jan 31, 3:09 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>
> > Word. I've got a beautiful '70s bike with full Dura Ace on a Maruishi
> > frame, but the seat tube has a whopping 30 degree bend in the middle.
> > I've been looking for a comparable 70s or 80s Japanese replacement
> > frame at a reasonable price but, jeez, good luck!

> Wait until the backside of the fixie fad.  For better or worse, those
> things will return to just above their scrap value again.
>
> A lot of them will have lost their brazeons in the process, though.
>
> Chalo

And their paint. And likely at least some stuctural integrity. But at
least they're being used, right?

/s

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/
>
> Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.
>
> The headscratcher is the handlebars. Someone felt that Spinaci-style
> aero nubs would be a prudent spec on them. Of course, there's nothing
> forcing the rider to use them (though they are a constant dare to the
> kind of Type-A guy who's going to drop this kind of coin on a bike
> that'll likely be ridden 5 times a year.) Bike paths are plenty
> congested in NYC with pedestrians, dogs, toddlers, holes, and, uh,
> other cyclists. Aero bars isn't the first thing I'd think essential
> for a "Comfortable upright-riding bike".
>
> I sense a dangerous summer approaching.
>
> /s

Hence continuing the great American tradition of treating bicycles as mere
[expensive] toys. Shame on your market-savvy ass, Trek.

On 2008-01-31, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 11:33 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>> And besides everything else, they look cool.
>>

> And there, you're 80% wrong.

They do look like they'd make nice accessory mounts, though. I can see a nice
pair of headlights, maybe my GPS unit out there. Need to free up space on
the handlebar for a coffee mug holder.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff
[email protected]

In article
<970edb74-4772-4ef4-9bf0-685ada34e2e5@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/
>
> Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

Silly wheels. I commend them for the extended chain stays.

--
Michael Press

On Jan 31, 6:33 pm, Kristian M Zoerhoff <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On 2008-01-31, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 31, 11:33 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> And besides everything else, they look cool.

> > And there, you're 80% wrong.

> They do look like they'd make nice accessory mounts, though. I can see a nice
> pair of headlights, maybe my GPS unit out there. Need to free up space on
> the handlebar for a coffee mug holder.
>
> --
>
> Kristian Zoerhoff
> [email protected]

Bontrager agrees that they make a good place to mount stuff:
http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Handlebars/21369.php

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <970edb74-4772-4ef4-9bf0-685ada34e2e5@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
> Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.
> >
> > http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/
> >
> > Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> > Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> > with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> > and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

> Silly wheels. I commend them for the extended chain stays.

Nobody here likely wants to hear this, but I see bikes like this as one
part of the weird future of city bikes in North America.

Let me preface by saying this will always be a niche product, both in
volume and in regional appeal: you'll sell city bikes of all types in
cities with a strong bike culture (The Portland/NYC/etc. markets).

Back to this thing: Since the logical extension of increasingly trendy
city bikes is for prosperous people (or prosperous cyclists) to get in
on the fun, there's going to be a certain cadre of people for whom such
a bicycle is a substitute for whatever their "city car" is, be that a
Honda Element, Smart, or BMW 540i.

Even if it isn't directly replacing that car, the bike's price doesn't
seem out of line, and for people who are probably used to the cost of
high-end sporting goods, a $2500 bike isn't that bad. Find out what they
pay to play golf, for example.

Back to this bike. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a market for a
really high-performance city bike: something based off of a carbon
cyclocross frame, perhaps, sporting either a flat bar or a drop bar and
CX levers.

Yes, fenders and a rack. Yes, lighting system. But still, this is a
reaonable starting point, doubly so for a "summer" bike.

I'd like to see how easy it is to build a sub-20-pound city bike with
aluminum rims, Alfine drivetrain, and fenders. No rack: in the city this
bike is the sportster, to be used with light loads for quick trips
(surely the cyclist in question has a crappy city bike too, for heavy
loads and uncertain locking circumstances).

I'd like to see how light a practical city bike would be. In other
words, if I insist on Al rims, fenders, and at least a minimalist light
setup, how light could the resulting bike be? Oh, and no cheater parts
like aluminum cassettes, please.

Yes, I'm talking about expensive bikes. But they would be a lot of fun
to ride, and that seems to me a seriously compensating virtue.

Hm. Carbon fibre fenders...

In article
<rcousine-275781.22530702022008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>, Ryan
Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <970edb74-4772-4ef4-9bf0-685ada34e2e5@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
> > Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.
> > >
> > > http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/
> > >
> > > Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> > > Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> > > with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> > > and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

> > Silly wheels. I commend them for the extended chain stays.

> Nobody here likely wants to hear this, but I see bikes like this as one
> part of the weird future of city bikes in North America.
>
> Let me preface by saying this will always be a niche product, both in
> volume and in regional appeal: you'll sell city bikes of all types in
> cities with a strong bike culture (The Portland/NYC/etc. markets).
>
> Back to this thing: Since the logical extension of increasingly trendy
> city bikes is for prosperous people (or prosperous cyclists) to get in
> on the fun, there's going to be a certain cadre of people for whom such
> a bicycle is a substitute for whatever their "city car" is, be that a
> Honda Element, Smart, or BMW 540i.
>
> Even if it isn't directly replacing that car, the bike's price doesn't
> seem out of line, and for people who are probably used to the cost of
> high-end sporting goods, a $2500 bike isn't that bad. Find out what they
> pay to play golf, for example.

I agree with your reasoning. In a culture embracing conspicuous
consumption, why wouldn't bicycles qualify as veblen goods or status
symbols? That the environmentally conscientious Platinum Card holder
can simultaneously satisfy his green and egotistical inclinations on a
luxury bike may even be a good thing: a sign that the humble two
wheeler's significance has transcended the limited confines of the
velo-sphere and gained greater cultural currency. The benefits of such
a trickle down economy could be a boon to garage sale scavengers!

> Back to this bike. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a market for a
> really high-performance city bike: something based off of a carbon
> cyclocross frame, perhaps, sporting either a flat bar or a drop bar and
> CX levers.

There's always a market. And if there isn't it will be created.

> Yes, fenders and a rack. Yes, lighting system. But still, this is a
> reaonable starting point, doubly so for a "summer" bike.
>
> I'd like to see how easy it is to build a sub-20-pound city bike with
> aluminum rims, Alfine drivetrain, and fenders. No rack: in the city this
> bike is the sportster, to be used with light loads for quick trips
> (surely the cyclist in question has a crappy city bike too, for heavy
> loads and uncertain locking circumstances).
>
> I'd like to see how light a practical city bike would be. In other
> words, if I insist on Al rims, fenders, and at least a minimalist light
> setup, how light could the resulting bike be? Oh, and no cheater parts
> like aluminum cassettes, please.

Ahh that endless quest to redefine the boundary between what's
practical and what's performance. You may indeed end up with a very
light ride, but no doubt its claims of practicality will be contested.
And round and round it goes.

> Yes, I'm talking about expensive bikes. But they would be a lot of fun
> to ride, and that seems to me a seriously compensating virtue.

Price commensurate to enjoyment? The best things in life are free!

> Hm. Carbon fibre fenders...

In article <030220080334281362%[email protected]>,
Luke <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

> > reaonable starting point, doubly so for a "summer" bike.
> >
> > I'd like to see how easy it is to build a sub-20-pound city bike with
> > aluminum rims, Alfine drivetrain, and fenders. No rack: in the city this
> > bike is the sportster, to be used with light loads for quick trips
> > (surely the cyclist in question has a crappy city bike too, for heavy
> > loads and uncertain locking circumstances).
> >
> > I'd like to see how light a practical city bike would be. In other
> > words, if I insist on Al rims, fenders, and at least a minimalist light
> > setup, how light could the resulting bike be? Oh, and no cheater parts
> > like aluminum cassettes, please.

> Ahh that endless quest to redefine the boundary between what's
> practical and what's performance. You may indeed end up with a very
> light ride, but no doubt its claims of practicality will be contested.

Ah, fair enough :). It's just that CF rims sacrifice a bit too much
braking performance and wear fast (though I'm open to the idea of a
reeeally high-end model with CF rims and disc brakes...).

> > Yes, I'm talking about expensive bikes. But they would be a lot of fun
> > to ride, and that seems to me a seriously compensating virtue.

> Price commensurate to enjoyment? The best things in life are free!

No, probably not. But diminishing returns matter a lot less when the
object in question is for personal enjoyment, and you can afford it
either way.

It's like this: I often buy weirdly expensive hot beverages from local
vendors, not because I can't make similarly good stuff at home for a
fraction of the cost, but because they're convenient, and even at
$3-4/drink, the price is far too easy for me to afford.

On Feb 3, 1:53 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <970edb74-4772-4ef4-9bf0-685ada34e...@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
> >  Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I was poking around and found this bike, a Trek 7.9.

> > >http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/fx/79fx/

> > > Yes, it's a full-carbon, Ultegra/105 $2500 bike built for "Bike
> > > Paths". This doesn't bother me. Business is business. Plenty of people
> > > with plenty of money out there, LBSs need all the help they can get,
> > > and and I'd rather encounter them on a bike than their Escalade.

> > Silly wheels. I commend them for the extended chain stays.

> Nobody here likely wants to hear this, but I see bikes like this as one
> part of the weird future of city bikes in North America.
>
> Let me preface by saying this will always be a niche product, both in
> volume and in regional appeal: you'll sell city bikes of all types in
> cities with a strong bike culture (The Portland/NYC/etc. markets).
>
> Back to this thing: Since the logical extension of increasingly trendy
> city bikes is for prosperous people (or prosperous cyclists) to get in
> on the fun, there's going to be a certain cadre of people for whom such
> a bicycle is a substitute for whatever their "city car" is, be that a
> Honda Element, Smart, or BMW 540i.
>
> Even if it isn't directly replacing that car, the bike's price doesn't
> seem out of line, and for people who are probably used to the cost of
> high-end sporting goods, a $2500 bike isn't that bad. Find out what they
> pay to play golf, for example.
>
> Back to this bike. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a market for a
> really high-performance city bike: something based off of a carbon
> cyclocross frame, perhaps, sporting either a flat bar or a drop bar and
> CX levers.
>
> Yes, fenders and a rack. Yes, lighting system. But still, this is a
> reaonable starting point, doubly so for a "summer" bike.
>
> I'd like to see how easy it is to build a sub-20-pound city bike with
> aluminum rims, Alfine drivetrain, and fenders. No rack: in the city this
> bike is the sportster, to be used with light loads for quick trips
> (surely the cyclist in question has a crappy city bike too, for heavy
> loads and uncertain locking circumstances).
>
> I'd like to see how light a practical city bike would be. In other
> words, if I insist on Al rims, fenders, and at least a minimalist light
> setup, how light could the resulting bike be? Oh, and no cheater parts
> like aluminum cassettes, please.
>
> Yes, I'm talking about expensive bikes. But they would be a lot of fun
> to ride, and that seems to me a seriously compensating virtue.
>
> Hm. Carbon fibre fenders...
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

I don't have any problem hearing it. Like I said, I don't have any
more of a problem with a $2500 bike that'll likely never be ridden
more than 500 miles total than I do with someone buying a Porsche
while the speed limit is 55mph. This obviously isn't a bike for the
utilitarian type who'd throw some upright bars on an old rattlecanned
10 speed (often to protect their $$$ "good" bike.) Somebody out there
will buy this because they like the color (or lack thereof). But, you
know, nobody is forcing me to buy it.

With all that said, I think it's a very nice bike. The only spec I was
really questioning was the spinaci bar extensions, and whether the
coolness factor was worth a customer's potential crash (which, in my
population-dense neck of the non-woods) often spells doom for a whole
bunch of dominos.

/s