ODI/Oury?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonathan Bond, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  3. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
    > > tendency to spin:
    > >
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
    > >
    > > beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)
    >
    > Why on earth are they $25 for "grip only"?!? OURY's are, like, $7.99 usually.
    >
    > Bill "see what I mean, Vern?" S.

    The ODI grips are also only around $8-9. They better be damn special grips for $25.
    --
    Chris
    ________________

  4. John G

    John G Guest

    Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
    > tendency to spin:
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
    >
    > beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)

    Ohh Ohhh..... one word Jon : "SPONSORSHIP"!!!!!

  5. John G wrote:

    > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    >
    >> For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
    >> tendency to spin:
    >>
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
    >>
    >> beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)
    >

    > Ohh Ohhh..... one word Jon : "SPONSORSHIP"!!!!!

    The roadies would kill me. There is some discussion about switching to Jamis from K2 (the Jamis rep
    really wants us, for some reason), and now I've got Cannondale ties, so we'll see what I can do with
    them. Hopefully I'll be able to find a tire sponsor (Michelin? Hutchinson?) for next year, and then
    pretty much the only things we can't get on a bike (besides a complete one) are the tubes,
    handlebars, seatposts, stems, and saddles. Hmm, I wonder if Thomson or Easton wants to sponsor
    us.... and maybe Selle Italia... ;)

    Jon Bond

  6. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
    > > > tendency to spin:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
    > > >
    > > > beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on
    carbon
    > > > bars ;)
    > >
    > > Why on earth are they $25 for "grip only"?!? OURY's are, like, $7.99 usually.
    > >
    > > Bill "see what I mean, Vern?" S.
    >
    > The ODI grips are also only around $8-9. They better be damn special grips for $25.
    > --
    > Chris
    > ________________

    How 'bout $10.00 for the grips alone? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/grips.asp Or get the grips
    and clamps for $18.00.

    They're also in the 2003 QBP catalog.

    Keith L.

    Just Say: "They're on the list for the next order I place with my LBS."

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've been using them on various
    handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years, and while they do twist a bit over time I've never
    felt it during the ride.

    Seems like you'd get as much good out of an $18 Jennifer Lopez movie. :)

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've been using them on various
    > handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years, and while they do twist a bit over time I've
    > never felt it during the ride.

    For me, they're all or nothing: glued firmly in place (some gradual twisting maybe; kinda like
    it, actually), or spinning like a friggin' throttle (usually AFTER a very wet ride -- rare here
    in LoSoCal).

    > Seems like you'd get as much good out of an $18 Jennifer Lopez movie. :)

    Who?

    Bill "OURY's are cool, but also found some Serfas that feel pretty nice" S.

  9. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've been using them on various
    > handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years, and while they do twist a bit over time I've
    > never felt it during the ride.

    I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
    suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
    > tendency to spin:
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
    >
    > beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)

    Don't use ODI Lock Ons with carbon bars. They'll get ovalized eventually at the right torque and
    weaken for catastrophic failure that CF has a tendency to do when it decides to break. Not a good
    thing if you end up shearing the bar off at the inside of the grip.

    JD

  11. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've
    been
    > > using them on various handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years,
    and
    > > while they do twist a bit over time I've never felt it during the ride.
    > >

    > I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
    > suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.

    My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any slippage, what did you use to get
    them on, hairspray?

  12. ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > --
    > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've
    >>
    > been
    >
    >>>using them on various handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years,
    >>
    > and
    >
    >>>while they do twist a bit over time I've never felt it during the ride.
    >>>

    >>I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
    >>suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.
    >>

    > My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any slippage, what did you use to get
    > them on, hairspray?

    Mine don't like to stick either. Tried Hairspray, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nothing (its been working so
    far). I don't really want to glue them, or spraypaint them on, as getting that off the carbon fiber
    bars would NOT be fun and might damage the bars.

    Jon Bond

  13. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:23:52 -0400, KLydesdale wrote:

    > I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
    > suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.

    Mine twist a little eventually, too. It makes it a little less pretty, but if I was looking for
    pretty I'd probably start by washing the poor beast.
    :)

  14. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>

    > ..::TBF::.. wrote:
    > > --
    > > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > been

    > > and

    > >>I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
    > >>suggested for fixing grips in place) I could
    not
    > >>keep them from eventually twisting.
    > >>

    > > My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any
    slippage,
    > > what did you use to get them on, hairspray?
    > >

    > Mine don't like to stick either. Tried Hairspray, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nothing (its been working so
    > far). I don't really want to glue them, or spraypaint them on, as getting that off the carbon
    > fiber bars would NOT be fun and might damage the bars.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Strange, mine are stuck tight, when I swapped everything to the Jamis back in Dec. I had to leave
    the shifters/brakes on to avoid the aggravation of wrenching the grips off

  15. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:23:52 -0400, KLydesdale wrote:
    >
    > > I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
    > > suggested for fixing grips in place) I could
    not
    > > keep them from eventually twisting.
    >
    > Mine twist a little eventually, too. It makes it a little less pretty, but if I was looking for
    > pretty I'd probably start by washing the poor beast.
    > :)

    A little twisting would be fine but once they got a bit loose, any water or sweat that got near them
    would work it's way under and they'd start spinning pretty freely. Wiring them in place worked the
    best but even then they'd start twisting in the middle and would tear away from the end parts that
    were wired. The Ourys aren't the only grips I've had slip on me but they were the worst because they
    so thick, soft and squirmy.

    I went to ODI Rogue Lock-Ons - problem solved. Serfas Connectors work pretty well too but they're
    not quite as thick as the Rogues.

  16. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any slippage, what did you use to get
    > them on, hairspray?

    Hairspray? Don't make me laugh. Hairspray doesn't even last half a ride with most grips I've
    tried it on.

  17. > >
    > > The ODI grips are also only around $8-9. They better be damn special grips for $25.
    > > --
    > > Chris
    > > ________________
    >
    > How 'bout $10.00 for the grips alone? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/grips.asp Or get the
    > grips and clamps for $18.00.
    >
    > They're also in the 2003 QBP catalog.
    >

    > Keith L.
    >
    > Just Say: "They're on the list for the next order I place with my LBS."

    And when you think about it, the clamps last forever and typically the grips last twice as long as
    regular grips becaus of the har dplastic core and lack of exposed ends to chunkify in crashes and
    what not..
    --
    _________________________

  18. Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > Mine don't like to stick either. Tried Hairspray, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nothing (its been working so
    > far). I don't really want to glue them, or spraypaint them on, as getting that off the carbon
    > fiber bars would NOT be fun and might damage the bars.

    A spit-coat (aka: "1 pound cut") of Shellac is the secret... tenacious hold and alcohol soluble for
    later removal clean-up.

  19. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 03:01:28 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:

    > Strange, mine are stuck tight, when I swapped everything to the Jamis back in Dec. I had to leave
    > the shifters/brakes on to avoid the aggravation of wrenching the grips off

    They do move pretty freely when you get water inside them. I remove them by prying a little away,
    pouring water between the grip and handlebar, and using a dowel to get the water under the grip all
    the way around. Then they slip right off.

    How these guys are getting that much water under these grips during riding, I dunno. Normally
    they're tighter than a nun's....oh nevermind.