ODI/Oury?

> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
> > tendency to spin:
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
> >
> > beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)
>
> Why on earth are they $25 for "grip only"?!? OURY's are, like, $7.99 usually.
>
> Bill "see what I mean, Vern?" S.

The ODI grips are also only around $8-9. They better be damn special grips for $25.
--
Chris
________________

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
> tendency to spin:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
>
> beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)

Ohh Ohhh..... one word Jon : "SPONSORSHIP"!!!!!

John G wrote:

> Jonathan Bond wrote:
>
>> For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
>> tendency to spin:
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
>>
>> beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)
>

> Ohh Ohhh..... one word Jon : "SPONSORSHIP"!!!!!

The roadies would kill me. There is some discussion about switching to Jamis from K2 (the Jamis rep
really wants us, for some reason), and now I've got Cannondale ties, so we'll see what I can do with
them. Hopefully I'll be able to find a tire sponsor (Michelin? Hutchinson?) for next year, and then
pretty much the only things we can't get on a bike (besides a complete one) are the tubes,
handlebars, seatposts, stems, and saddles. Hmm, I wonder if Thomson or Easton wants to sponsor
us.... and maybe Selle Italia... ;)

Jon Bond

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
> > > tendency to spin:
> > >
> > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
> > >
> > > beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on
carbon
> > > bars ;)
> >
> > Why on earth are they $25 for "grip only"?!? OURY's are, like, $7.99 usually.
> >
> > Bill "see what I mean, Vern?" S.
>
> The ODI grips are also only around $8-9. They better be damn special grips for $25.
> --
> Chris
> ________________

How 'bout $10.00 for the grips alone? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/grips.asp Or get the grips
and clamps for $18.00.

They're also in the 2003 QBP catalog.

Keith L.

Just Say: "They're on the list for the next order I place with my LBS."

Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've been using them on various
handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years, and while they do twist a bit over time I've never
felt it during the ride.

Seems like you'd get as much good out of an $18 Jennifer Lopez movie. :)

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've been using them on various
> handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years, and while they do twist a bit over time I've
> never felt it during the ride.

For me, they're all or nothing: glued firmly in place (some gradual twisting maybe; kinda like
it, actually), or spinning like a friggin' throttle (usually AFTER a very wet ride -- rare here
in LoSoCal).

> Seems like you'd get as much good out of an $18 Jennifer Lopez movie. :)

Who?

Bill "OURY's are cool, but also found some Serfas that feel pretty nice" S.

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've been using them on various
> handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years, and while they do twist a bit over time I've
> never felt it during the ride.

I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For those of you who use ODI Lock ons... AND like the feel of Oury's, but can't stand their
> tendency to spin:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2003/newarrivals/apr02 (scroll down a little bit)
>
> beautiful. I just emailed easton to see if you can use ODI's on carbon bars ;)

Don't use ODI Lock Ons with carbon bars. They'll get ovalized eventually at the right torque and
weaken for catastrophic failure that CF has a tendency to do when it decides to break. Not a good
thing if you end up shearing the bar off at the inside of the grip.

JD

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've
been
> > using them on various handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years,
and
> > while they do twist a bit over time I've never felt it during the ride.
> >

> I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
> suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.

My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any slippage, what did you use to get
them on, hairspray?

..::TBF::.. wrote:
> --
> http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Do you guys actually NOTICE Ourys twisting while you're riding? I've
>>
> been
>
>>>using them on various handlebars (all aluminium) for the past 8 years,
>>
> and
>
>>>while they do twist a bit over time I've never felt it during the ride.
>>>

>>I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
>>suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.
>>

> My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any slippage, what did you use to get
> them on, hairspray?

Mine don't like to stick either. Tried Hairspray, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nothing (its been working so
far). I don't really want to glue them, or spraypaint them on, as getting that off the carbon fiber
bars would NOT be fun and might damage the bars.

Jon Bond

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:23:52 -0400, KLydesdale wrote:

> I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
> suggested for fixing grips in place) I could not keep them from eventually twisting.

Mine twist a little eventually, too. It makes it a little less pretty, but if I was looking for
pretty I'd probably start by washing the poor beast.
:)

http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]>

> ..::TBF::.. wrote:
> > --
> > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > been

> > and

> >>I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
> >>suggested for fixing grips in place) I could
not
> >>keep them from eventually twisting.
> >>

> > My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any
slippage,
> > what did you use to get them on, hairspray?
> >

> Mine don't like to stick either. Tried Hairspray, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nothing (its been working so
> far). I don't really want to glue them, or spraypaint them on, as getting that off the carbon
> fiber bars would NOT be fun and might damage the bars.
>
> Jon Bond

Strange, mine are stuck tight, when I swapped everything to the Jamis back in Dec. I had to leave
the shifters/brakes on to avoid the aggravation of wrenching the grips off

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:23:52 -0400, KLydesdale wrote:
>
> > I loved the Oury grips I tried but no matter what I used (and I tried everything I've ever seen
> > suggested for fixing grips in place) I could
not
> > keep them from eventually twisting.
>
> Mine twist a little eventually, too. It makes it a little less pretty, but if I was looking for
> pretty I'd probably start by washing the poor beast.
> :)

A little twisting would be fine but once they got a bit loose, any water or sweat that got near them
would work it's way under and they'd start spinning pretty freely. Wiring them in place worked the
best but even then they'd start twisting in the middle and would tear away from the end parts that
were wired. The Ourys aren't the only grips I've had slip on me but they were the worst because they
so thick, soft and squirmy.

I went to ODI Rogue Lock-Ons - problem solved. Serfas Connectors work pretty well too but they're
not quite as thick as the Rogues.

"..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My oury's have been on the bars for a year and I haven't had any slippage, what did you use to get
> them on, hairspray?

Hairspray? Don't make me laugh. Hairspray doesn't even last half a ride with most grips I've
tried it on.

> > The ODI grips are also only around $8-9. They better be damn special grips for $25.
> > --
> > Chris
> > ________________
>
> How 'bout $10.00 for the grips alone? http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/grips.asp Or get the
> grips and clamps for $18.00.
>
> They're also in the 2003 QBP catalog.
>

> Keith L.
>
> Just Say: "They're on the list for the next order I place with my LBS."

And when you think about it, the clamps last forever and typically the grips last twice as long as
regular grips becaus of the har dplastic core and lack of exposed ends to chunkify in crashes and
what not..
--
_________________________

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Mine don't like to stick either. Tried Hairspray, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nothing (its been working so
> far). I don't really want to glue them, or spraypaint them on, as getting that off the carbon
> fiber bars would NOT be fun and might damage the bars.

A spit-coat (aka: "1 pound cut") of Shellac is the secret... tenacious hold and alcohol soluble for
later removal clean-up.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 03:01:28 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:

> Strange, mine are stuck tight, when I swapped everything to the Jamis back in Dec. I had to leave
> the shifters/brakes on to avoid the aggravation of wrenching the grips off

They do move pretty freely when you get water inside them. I remove them by prying a little away,
pouring water between the grip and handlebar, and using a dowel to get the water under the grip all
the way around. Then they slip right off.

How these guys are getting that much water under these grips during riding, I dunno. Normally
they're tighter than a nun's....oh nevermind.