Off Season

Billsworld

Sep 6, 2005
For the non Aussies and a few others , its winter mode. I have about an hour a day to train . I am basicly a sprinter , but need to function in mass start races too. I have been doing a 5 min warmup and then the work begins. Usually 20 mins at "threashold"=250 watts ie:hard)on the trainer , then some type of sprinting on the road for 20-25 minutes. then warm down for 10. Then back to the wife and kids. The sprint work is usually a varaition of starts, 10 sec jumps and or some high cadence work. I do take rest days and some recovery type rides, so the sprint work is usually about 3 days per week. My goals are to be more fit for the kilo and mass start races without giving up the sprint power....Oh, I want higher 5 sec power like everyone else

Hey Bill, have you corresponded with RickT on this subject yet. If not, I would think he would be better than most at answering your question.

Cheers, Jack-o

Jack-o said:
Hey Bill, have you corresponded with RickT on this subject yet. If not, I would think he would be better than most at answering your question.

Cheers, Jack-o
I have Warren giving me some ideas. It is more to hear what guys like you would do with an hour per day. With limited time , I seem to be doing well, but like to hear from others too. Lets hear it Jacko

Billsworld said:
I have Warren giving me some ideas. It is more to hear what guys like you would do with an hour per day. With limited time , I seem to be doing well, but like to hear from others too. Lets hear it Jacko
Me?

Well....at the moment I'm getting towards the end of what I call my 'pre-season'. My first race isn't until early January (Victorian Masters Kilo and Sprint Championships).

Currently:
Mon. 5:30am - 2 hrs. Road bike, mix of hills and flat.
Tues. 7:30am - Weights 1hr (just starting to increase weight and intensity now)
Wed. 5:30am 2hrs road bike. 6pm 1:30hr MTB (just a fun ride in the bush with mates - not serious training)
Thurs. 7:30am weights 1hr.
Fri. 5:30am 2 hrs road bike
Sat. Club road race or 1:30hrs road ride.
Sun. Nothing ('tis "family" day)

Pretty soon I'll be incorporating Vo2 intervals into the road rides (4 x 5min on, 5min off @ 170 heart rate and 120 cadence)

Then Three weeks out from the state titles I'll do 2 weeks of Lactic intervals (4 x 20sec standing start, 1 min off x 3 sets with 5 min off between each.) followed by one week of downhill sprints. (88" gear starting @ 40km/h x 4)

Then back to Vo2 intervals for a couple of weeks, then 6 weeks out from the Aussie titles in March I'll start lactic intervals again for 4 weeks and then 2 weeks of downhill sprints before the race.

THEN...a bit of a break for a couple of weeks before starting again for the Masters Worlds in October.

I'd like to see what others are doing too 'cause we're always looking at trying to do things better eh?

Jack-o

Billsworld said:
For the non Aussies and a few others , its winter mode. I have about an hour a day to train . I am basicly a sprinter , but need to function in mass start races too. I have been doing a 5 min warmup and then the work begins. Usually 20 mins at "threashold"=250 watts ie:hard)on the trainer , then some type of sprinting on the road for 20-25 minutes. then warm down for 10. Then back to the wife and kids. The sprint work is usually a varaition of starts, 10 sec jumps and or some high cadence work. I do take rest days and some recovery type rides, so the sprint work is usually about 3 days per week. My goals are to be more fit for the kilo and mass start races without giving up the sprint power....Oh, I want higher 5 sec power like everyone else

Not a bad program Bill. Considering you are a working, father type guy.

If there is any advise I might offer, work towards strength & power. The speed will come back rather quickly when you tun towards that, next spring.

6002 said:
Not a bad program Bill. Considering you are a working, father type guy.

If there is any advise I might offer, work towards strength & power. The speed will come back rather quickly when you tun towards that, next spring.

thanks 2006. I would head up to Forset City this year, but I am going to enjoy my 2 weeks at Brian Piccalo in Feb. instead.:)