Off the shelf or separate components?

grumpy311

Sep 10, 2004
:cool: I walked into my LBS the other day looking for a good deal on a close-out model bike when the LBS owner suggested that he could put together an excellent bike from scratch for less money.

I am not looking for the ultimate in competitive road biking, but I like to get a quality product for my money. I intend to spend between 1000 and 2000 Dollars and plan on using the bike mainly to keep myself in shape and maybe do a little racing. (I am 35 yo and relatively new to road biking)

Are there major benefits to having my LBS putting a bike together or is it doubtful that they can beat the pricing/quality of the established brands?

I find it very interesting that the owner said he could build one from scratch for cheaper. Normally, this is the much more expensive way to go. It can be cheaper if you really look for bargains on components and then mix and match, but I think your choices to stay under the price of a comparably prebuilt bike would be limited. I think this would be a tough decision. I would investigate the components available to build from scratch that would meet your price point, and then compare it to prebuilt bikes, not forgetting the bigger labor charges for the scratch built bike. It seems like a lot of work, but it will be interesting and informative. I, like many people on this forum, love to sort through, compare, and think about bike gear. Good luck with whichever you choose, as I feel cycling will make you make you happy regardless.

Thanks Ghostpedal,

I guess the frame they were offering might be on the cheap side. I had never heard of it, it's a Monoc. Anybody know if they are of decent quality?

For $1,000-$2,000 you should really take a look at FELT. I've seen some nice rigs put together at my LBS with Ultegra for under $2K. It's not a top-end TREK or Litespeed but it's a pretty good bike. Just a thought.

grumpy311 said:
I guess the frame they were offering might be on the cheap side. I had never heard of it, it's a Monoc. Anybody know if they are of decent quality?
Monoc makes quite good bikes. They are based in the UK. Was eyeing on buying a alloy/composite frameset (aluminum frame, carbon stays and fork) for a while now ($1,250). Might want to check out their site: www.monoc.co.uk. Prices are in British pounds.

Your LBS has probably got a whole backroom full of parts that have been replaced on the new bikes he's sold during the year. A lot of people buying higher-end biikes will ask their LBS to swap out a part or two before they buy leaving the shop with unused parts to get rid of. So it's quite likely he could do you a very good deal as he probably wants to clear out some space for the 2005 stock.

Interestingly enough Tonto...I ended up with a Specialized Roubaix Pro, finished out with the Ultegra groupo, Milano Ti saddle and Shimano R540 wheel set. It was pulled together from parts by my LBS just as you describe. I spotted it in their Specialized rack about a month before I actually bought it. Originally it was offered at a fairly reasonable price, but I got it at an even better discount when they finally decided that they were ready to move it. It is a perfect bike for me. I wouldn't even have been able to afford it otherwise.

you always get more bike for your money buying stock. unless you are getting a custom frame with a package deal on the groupo. go better now so there is less to upgrade. look for full ultegra or a ultegra/105 mix for components and a alumunum frame with carbon fork, seat-backstays and seatpost for your price range. trek 2300, i love mine. $1800 but you should find an '04 on clearance now.