off to see the bike route

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jeremy Parker, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. well, not strictly off to see the bike route, since it isn't there
    yet, except in the sense that every road and every street is a bike
    route. The route does exist in the form of a green line on a map
    (which may be in the wrong place) so we're off to do a site survey,
    or CRIM as its known here in London.

    There's some bureaucrats, some consultants, a couple of other
    cyclists, and me.

    The original idea was to travel the route by bike, and that's what
    the guidelines for CRIMs recommend. That can't be done, apparently,
    although they have objection to me appearing on my bike. There are
    insurance issues apparently, and problems with obtaining bicycles for
    some participants (I suspect the local cycling officer may be one of
    those lacking a bike)

    Am I right to be worried about our local bike routes being in the
    hands of people whose riding style makes them uninsurable?

    I suppose I could be being unjustly rude about their bike riding. It
    could be just that those organising the trip simply haven't the
    faintest idea what is dangerous and what isn't. Given that those
    people will likely be influencing the bike route design, that doesn't
    make me very happy either.

    Jeremy Parker

    Tags:

  2. "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]>typed

    > well, not strictly off to see the bike route, since it isn't there
    > yet, except in the sense that every road and every street is a bike
    > route. The route does exist in the form of a green line on a map
    > (which may be in the wrong place) so we're off to do a site survey,
    > or CRIM as its known here in London.

    and, how the f*** are you, David and the other 'Stakeholders'[1] going
    to walk from Watling Avenue to Staples Corner in an hour (and then visit
    Kingsbury Road)?

    Where will you have your lunch? Chiquito's @ Staples Corner or will you
    all divert to Brent Cross Torture Chamber's multiple restaurants,
    demonstrating just how horrid it is to walk or cycle between these
    locations?

    I do hope you all have fun on Thursday...

    {1] their words, not mine.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  3. "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    > > well, not strictly off to see the bike route, since it isn't

    there
    > > yet, except in the sense that every road and every street is a

    bike
    > > route. The route does exist in the form of a green line on a map
    > > (which may be in the wrong place) so we're off to do a site

    survey,
    > > or CRIM as its known here in London.

    > and, how the f*** are you, David and the other 'Stakeholders'[1]

    going
    > to walk from Watling Avenue to Staples Corner in an hour (and then

    visit
    > Kingsbury Road)?

    All the way to Burnt Oak by 9 am. Most uncivilised. I did make a
    comment about yo-yoing in my thankyou letter. I have no idea how one
    parks a car in any of these places (except Staples Corner), but
    that's not my problem, since I propose to ride my bike.

    > Where will you have your lunch? Chiquito's @ Staples Corner or will

    you
    > all divert to Brent Cross Torture Chamber's multiple restaurants,
    > demonstrating just how horrid it is to walk or cycle between these
    > locations?

    I was wondering whether that accounted for the strange maneuvers.
    I've never eaten at Chiquito's but it looks ok from the outside.

    > I do hope you all have fun on Thursday..

    Hmm. I hope the weather improves. Presumably traffic engineers are
    equipped to wander round outdoors, at least most of them

    > {1] their words, not mine.

    Stakeholders, yes. I feel in need of a stake, and a mallet, too, in
    view of rumours about undead transport politicians here in Barnet. I
    remember seeing a giant inflatable pencil which I think could be
    converted into quite a good stake, suitable for waving around at
    meetings where the subect of whether or not I am a stakeholder might
    come up. I can't remember where I saw it though. I thought it was
    in a shop in Upper St, Islington, where they sell joke Christmas
    presents and such, but when I went and asked, they denied all
    knowledge of such things.

    cheers

    Jeremy