Off to the pub

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  3. >"Middle-aged men now have a good excuse to go to the pub with their mates - it is good for
    >their brains."
    >
    >That's good enough for me ;-)

    Mind you, it also said, "while a quick pint with friends would be beneficial, drinking to
    excess was not."

    Bummer really ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Mind you, it also said, "while a quick pint with friends would be
    beneficial,
    > drinking to excess was not."

    No -- its a bugger to ballance on the bike and you have to keep stopping at suitable bushes :~(

    Still, it doesn't hurt as much when you fall off.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony W wrote:

    > Remember -- it can have a deleterious effect on other parts of the anatomy.
    >
    > :~/

    As in one pint, two pints, three pints, floor.

    Tony

  6. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:08:25 -0000, Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Mind you, it also said, "while a quick pint with friends would be beneficial, drinking to excess
    >> was not."
    >
    > No -- its a bugger to ballance on the bike and you have to keep stopping at suitable bushes :~(
    >
    > Still, it doesn't hurt as much when you fall off.

    Unfortunately it hurts a lot more the morning after :-(

    Colin
    --

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > As in one pint, two pints, three pints, floor.

    I thought it was couch, sofa or spare room -- but you lady may be more strict.

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No -- its a bugger to ballance on the bike and you have to keep stopping
    at
    > suitable bushes :~(

    Why do you need bushes when you've got a bishickle?

    Pete

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3239641.stm
    >
    > "Middle-aged men now have a good excuse to go to the pub with their mates - it is good for their
    > brains."

    But we've known for years that alcohol helps us to develop faster, more efficient brains. It's
    explained thus (and I've no idea where I saw this first, it was a long time ago):

    A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is
    the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

    This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the
    whole is maintained or even improved by the regular culling of the weakest members.

    In much the same way, the human brain can operate only as fast as the slowest brain cells through
    which the electrical signals pass. Recent epidemiological studies have shown that while excessive
    intake of alcohol kills off brain cells, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

    Thus, regular consumption of beer helps eliminate the weaker cells, constantly making the brain a
    faster and more efficient machine. The result in-depth study verifies and validates the casual link
    all weekend parties and job related performance. It also explains why, after a few short years after
    leaving a university and getting married, most professionals cannot keep up the performance of the
    new graduates.

    Only those few who stick to the strict regimen of voracious alcohol consumption can maintain the
    intellectual levels that they achieve during their college years. So this is a call to arms. As our
    country is losing its technological edge, we must not shudder in our homes. get back into the bars.
    Quaff that pint. Your company and country need you to be at your peak, and you shouldn't deny
    yourself the career that you could have.

    --
    Danny Colyer (cover cow with a net to reply)( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    Thomas Paine